upgrading sd card from 4gb fat32 to 32gb fat32, white led flashes then it turns off. looked at the faq for answers, found no solution.

bestJester

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i copy and pasted all of the files from my 4gb sd card to my 32gb sd card, white light flashes with 32gb card inserted but it works completely fine with the original 4 gb one. i installed the latest fersion of the boot.firm and boot.3dsx, but it still gave the same problem. the 32gb sd card is a micro sd card with an sd card adapter because i am using the original 3ds xl. is there a solution to this?

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i copy and pasted all of the files from my 4gb sd card to my 32gb sd card, white light flashes with 32gb card inserted but it works completely fine with the original 4 gb one. i installed the latest fersion of the boot.firm and boot.3dsx, but it still gave the same problem. the 32gb sd card is a micro sd card with an sd card adapter because i am using the original 3ds xl. is there a solution to this?
Did you format the new sd card as Fat32 32kb cluster size, before copying files to it?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Which FAQ are you referring to in your subject line?

i installed the latest fersion of the boot.firm and boot.3dsx
What makes you think you have the latest version? The latest version is supposed to automatically copy itself to the NAND, so you shouldn't be getting a white light.

But that's beside the point. The most likely problem is that your SD card is not properly formatted.

kodomoinneverland

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I think I'm having some issues with my sd card too, not same but I wonder if this has to deal with the allocation unit size I'm using when I format it... I would like to understand which one to use, for example in my case I have a 64gb sd and I tried different configuration until it worked... I'm a noob with this.

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I'm having some issues with my sd card too, not same but I wonder if this has to deal with the allocation unit size I'm using when I format it... I would like to understand which one to use, for example in my case I have a 64gb sd and I tried different configuration until it worked... I'm a noob with this.
Uh, so are you seeking help or is it fixed?

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well yes, I commented in other post about my issue in more detail, but I would like to know how to format my sd correctly in order to make sure is not this what is causing the problem I have.
Format it as FAT32 32kb cluster size. And you should also check it for corruption with h2testw, to make sure it's not fake or faulty. It should be empty when you do the test, and run it with the "read & verify" option. It should tell you if it's good to use or not.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which FAQ are you referring to in your subject line?

What makes you think you have the latest version? The latest version is supposed to automatically copy itself to the NAND, so you shouldn't be getting a white light.

But that's beside the point. The most likely problem is that your SD card is not properly formatted.
No, you’re still supposed to open GodMode9 and use the Plialect scripts to copy Luma3DS to the CTR NAND. It does not do it automagically.

Says so right here: https://3ds.hacks.guide/finalizing-setup.html#section-vi---ctrnand-luma3ds

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does it automatically with v.11 & 12 (not the old version tho).
I just went through the process on an o3DS. It does not. Nowhere in the tutorial does it say this, but it does say this in the 11.0 release of Luma3DS.

Hate to be the one to say it... It doesn't work. I still had to copy them with the Plialect scripts in GM9.

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just went through the process on an o3DS. It does not. Nowhere in the tutorial does it say this, but it does say this in the 11.0 release of Luma3DS.

Hate to be the one to say it... It doesn't work. I still had to copy them with the Plialect scripts in GM9.
Screenshot_20230301_GitHub.jpg

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I said, it does not work. I still had to copy Luma3DS to the NAND with Plialects guide. After updating an o3DS from 7.1 to 12, I tried to see if it would boot without the SD card. It would not. Only blue LED flash and power back off. After copying the boot.firm using the Plialect scripts in GM9, it works as it should and does actually boot.

To test this, I just removed the boot.firm from NAND using GM9, downgraded Luma3DS to 10.3, and re-did the upgrade process. It does NOT automatically copy to NAND. I had to re-copy Luma 12 to the NAND using the Plialect scripts in GM9 again.

Maybe it works for others. Definitely does not work for me.

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After updating an o3DS from 7.1 to 12, I tried to see if it would boot without the SD card. It would not. Only blue LED flash and power back off.
I said it does it automatically only with v.11 and onwards (not with older versions).
To test this, I just removed the boot.firm from NAND using GM9, downgraded Luma3DS to 10.3,
Same.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I said it does it automatically only with v.11 and onwards (not with older versions).

Same.
Did you miss the part where I said I upgraded back to 12 and it still didn’t copy? Or did you just leave that out because it doesn’t fit the narrative you’re trying to say?

Here, I’ll outline the steps performed so you can try it too.

1. Remove Luma3DS boot.firm file from NAND using GM9
2. Downgrade Luma3DS to 10.3
3. Boot.
4. Power off.
5. Upgrade Luma3DS to 12.0
6. Boot.
7. Power off.
8. Remove SD card.
9. Attempt to boot. It will not.
10. Replace SD card.
11. Fire up GM9, use scripts to copy Luma to NAND.
12. Power off.
13. Remove SD card.
14. Boot. It boots.

Edit: formatting. Also, I can try this with Luma3DS v11 if you’d like as well, just for posterity?

Second edit: I’m receiving two unmodified 3DS’s today, in fact. One is a n3DS and the other is an o3DS XL. I’ll be sure to try this on them as well with Luma3DS v11 and outline my findings.

Last edited by rcpd,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Your enthusiasm for investigating this little mystery is much appreciated. Unfortunately I doubt the Luma developers are going to pop in here and enlighten us.

The changelog does say "upon upgrading Luma3DS". Maybe it only copies itself to the CTRNAND if there's already an old version of Luma that's been copied there using Godmode9?

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your enthusiasm for investigating this little mystery is much appreciated. Unfortunately I doubt the Luma developers are going to pop in here and enlighten us.

The changelog does say "upon upgrading Luma3DS". Maybe it only copies itself to the CTRNAND if there's already an old version of Luma that's been copied there using Godmode9?
That's an interesting observation and one I can certainly try later today when I begin working on all 3 3DS's at once.

I don't expect the Luma developers to pop in here at all. If its broken I dont even expect it will get fixed because there is still a way to do it through GodMode9.

kodomoinneverland

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Format it as FAT32 32kb cluster size. And you should also check it for corruption with h2testw, to make sure it's not fake or faulty. It should be empty when you do the test, and run it with the "read & verify" option. It should tell you if it's good to use or not.
Thanks, the scan didn't find any error.
1677701356832.png

Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 10.1 MByte/s
Reading speed: 18.5 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

but I still get errors sometimes.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So I had a chance to test this theory. And sure as shit, if Luma is installed to NAND and beyond v11 it does automatically update itself on the internal nand.

You need to use GM9 to get it there in the first place, but it will then self detect and copy itself into the NAND to update when Luma3DS is updated on the SD card.

Too cool!

Reactions: Kwyjor

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I thought it was duck season, not... king kong season....