YouTube Glitcher
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to bump, but just thought I'd update! Managed to successfully clone and use both new drives without too much hassle. Just a few notes for people in future just in case anyone is in the same situation!

NVMe SSD Upgrade
I started with a Samsung 256GB PM961 NVMe SSD which is pretty old, and wanted to replace it with a Samsung 1TB 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD. Because both drives were Samsung, I opted to use Samsung Migration software which was actually, pretty painless.

With the new drive in an external enclosure HERE, I was able to initialise and format the new drive ready for the cloning process. Using the migration software, the source drive was cloned onto the new drive in about an hour. It filled 104GB of the 1TB drive.

I then partitioned the drive so that the OS and programs were separate, for easy backup/restore and although only 104GB was in use, the partition could only be split as 220GB (OS) and 710GB (DATA). This isn't really an issue, as it means any new programs can still be installed on the OS partition and backed up accordingly.

SATA SSHD > SATA SSD Upgrade
Starting with a Seagate 1TB SATA SSHD (5400RPM), I wanted to install a 2TB SATA SSD which would obviously provide much higher read write speeds. Since this was just a Data storage drive I probably could have just copy pasted all the data from one to the other without an issue, but decided just to clone it to ensure absolutely nothing was missed that could cause a problem in future.

The new drive first needed to be initialized by putting it into the drive bay in the laptop itself, as the enclosure I used HERE would not allow me to format/ initialize the drive from fresh. Once that was done, the cloning from old drive in enclosure > new drive in laptop was simple.

Using Acronis True Image software from ''crucial.com/clone" I was able to clone the 1TB Seagate Solid State Hybrid Drive onto the Crucial MX500 SATA SSD without issues. Easy!

Problems Encountered
When the new NVMe drive was Cloned, I tried to boot from it externally through the USB Enclosure. My BIOS could see the drive, but it was a bit of a pain to find and even after creating a boot path to the bootx64.efi file, it would still not boot from the drive which is when I started to panic thinking the clone wasn't as accurate as I thought it would be.

Turns out, the Laptop I have an ASUS ROG Strix (GL703GM), won't boot from a USB port. As soon as I put the new SSD into the motherboard slot the laptop booted up first time.

Anyway, that's all. 3TB of faster storage, and 1.25TB of external from this upgrade! Thanks to all that helped, very much appreciated :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Clicking on @Psionic Roshambo links opens 4 newly discovered stds