Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Thailand
Hello peeps, I have bought a new SD card to upgrade from 64 GB to around 268 GB
The problem right now is that, whether the SD card is mounted directly on the PC or accessed Via Vita shell
My PC Shows that there around 58.4 GB worth of Data on it.
However, when I try to move my files to my PC for back up (hidden files shown and protected files included)
I still only get around 51.4 GB of data on my back up. There is around 7GB of data lost.
And I don't know here it's hiding at all.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Did you compare file and folder numbers? Windows generally measures two separate instances of "size", the raw file size itself and how much disc space it actually takes up while saved.
Depending on the file system of the storage medium there can be quite a discrepancy between the actual size of the files and how much space they take up on the storage medium, and in extreme cases that could even account for a difference of 15% between two storage media.
Another option would be that Windows automatically compressed files on your PC, which would further decrease the file size and thus increase the discrepancy.
As such, mark everything on both drives and hit properties, then compare the number of files and folders in both locations, as well as the "Size" field shown there. All 3 of those numbers should be identical if nothing was missed.

If anything is missing it's best to go and compare every folder by itself to see where there are missing files or folders, then try and copy those by themselves over.

Reactions: satachan23

satachan23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Thailand
Where you get 268GB from there is only 256GB not 268GB.
My bad, I just got the numbers wrong
Post automatically merged:

Did you compare file and folder numbers? Windows generally measures two separate instances of "size", the raw file size itself and how much disc space it actually takes up while saved.
Depending on the file system of the storage medium there can be quite a discrepancy between the actual size of the files and how much space they take up on the storage medium, and in extreme cases that could even account for a difference of 15% between two storage media.
Another option would be that Windows automatically compressed files on your PC, which would further decrease the file size and thus increase the discrepancy.
As such, mark everything on both drives and hit properties, then compare the number of files and folders in both locations, as well as the "Size" field shown there. All 3 of those numbers should be identical if nothing was missed.

If anything is missing it's best to go and compare every folder by itself to see where there are missing files or folders, then try and copy those by themselves over.
Thank you! I'll give this a try and check again!

satachan23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Thailand
From what you posted, it seem like the size you see on a computer and the size shown on vitashell is off I assume?
Nah,
When I go on my PC, The Sd card's data is at 58.4
When I try to copy every file from that said drive, I only get 51.4 GB
On Vitashell, it is also at 58.4
So it's like windows is unable to locate these mysterious 7 GBs worth of Data.
But the total drive size on PC is consistent with Vitashell.

Reactions: slaphappygamer

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah,
When I go on my PC, The Sd card's data is at 58.4
When I try to copy every file from that said drive, I only get 51.4 GB
On Vitashell, it is also at 58.4
So it's like windows is unable to locate these mysterious 7 GBs worth of Data.
But the total drive size on PC is consistent with Vitashell.

Probably have to do with cluster, if you are copying from the SD card to a HDD it might not be the same size as it shown on the SD, but if you get the same used space as the 64GB on the new card you should be fine. Make sure to use 64kb cluster.

satachan23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Thailand
Is there another partition?
I don't think so but is there a way for me to check for sure?

Probably have to do with cluster, if you are copying from the SD card to a HDD it might not be the same size as it shown on the SD, but if you get the same used space as the 64GB on the new card you should be fine. Make sure to use 64kb cluster.
I seem to have gotten than less than the original size, but more than the one on PC, so I am assuming that my old 64 GB one is probably formatted with 32KB clusters. My problem now is that despite flashing the SD card with zzBlank and then formatting with rufus to Exfat 64 KB clusters, My Vita wants to format the sd card and keeps on looping formats on start up.

Last edited by satachan23,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think so but is there a way for me to check for sure?

I seem to have gotten than less than the original size, but more than the one on PC, so I am assuming that my old 64 GB one is probably formatted with 32KB clusters. My problem now is that despite flashing the SD card with zzBlank and then formatting with rufus to Exfat 64 KB clusters, My Vita wants to format the sd card and keeps on looping formats on start up.

Go to control panel, show hidden files, folder, and drives, for hidden files and folder and uncheck hide protected operating system files (Recommended), then copy the files over again from 64GB to new card.

Reactions: slaphappygamer

The_Dizzy_Vizzy

Well-Hated Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello Satachan23, quick question. What BRAND SD Micro Card are you using? It's not a HUGE deal, but everyonce in a while you expect a RAINBOW and end up with a DEUCE. I think this merits mentioning, so do chime in on this.

Thank you, and may the porcelain be with you.

satachan23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Thailand
Hello Satachan23, quick question. What BRAND SD Micro Card are you using? It's not a HUGE deal, but everyonce in a while you expect a RAINBOW and end up with a DEUCE. I think this merits mentioning, so do chime in on this.

Thank you, and may the porcelain be with you.
I am using a Sandisk 256 GB A1 card

Current status:

I use the zzblank from the Vitahacks Guide site to flash the mem
then I formatted it with rufus Exfat 64Kb cluster
I out my 51GB file from the original 57.8 file in the 64Gb sd card onto the new card
I end up with around 54GB size on the 256.
Then I tried putting into my Psvita, which causes the system to go into a format loop
But when I put the original 64Gb card back in, everything goes back to normal.

Update for anyone that might be having the same issue

Seems like that reason the size discrepancy exists is because of the cluster size and also the fact that the current file explorer for Windows doesn't actually show every file.

Please use Explorer++ to move your files

Or connect your device to the PC And use Vitashell to move your files on to your pc for back up

When formatting, just the window's default formatter.
But if you are going to use a different party formatter like Rufus, make sure that it is booted as a
"bootable" drive
Or else the PSvita cannot use the Sd card, despite all of the data being formatted properly and flashed properly.
64KB clusters gives the Vita optimal performance and space.

Last edited by satachan23,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-ally-x-7-120hz-fhd-1080p-gaming-handheld-amd-ryzen-z1-extre...