OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey Guys greeting From Germany.
I am tryin to use a NAS set up with a FritzBox in Tinfoil
I asked many Friends who has a NAS to in different settings.
There seems no Problem with a NAS set up with a Raspberry pie
But a NAS set up with a Fritzbox will not work.
at leat it works not in my set up and in the set up of my friends.
Maybe there is someone out there who knows the problem.
The Games where shown in Tinfoil but you cant download them it alwas gets Failed instantly
With a Raspberry pie it works.... why not with Fritzbox?
we testet a Fritzbox 7590 and a WD 5TB SSD
Maybe some is out the who knows why the fritzbox not works and knows how to change the settings.
Thank you for your help

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Guys greeting From Germany.
I am tryin to use a NAS set up with a FritzBox in Tinfoil
I asked many Friends who has a NAS to in different settings.
There seems no Problem with a NAS set up with a Raspberry pie
But a NAS set up with a Fritzbox will not work.
at leat it works not in my set up and in the set up of my friends.
Maybe there is someone out there who knows the problem.
The Games where shown in Tinfoil but you cant download them it alwas gets Failed instantly
With a Raspberry pie it works.... why not with Fritzbox?
we testet a Fritzbox 7590 and a WD 5TB SSD
Maybe some is out the who knows why the fritzbox not works and knows how to change the settings.
Thank you for your help

There are many ways to present a NAS and I’m not so familiar with the Fritzbox. Could you explain more about how you connect the two and what protocol you are using to present files? Screenshots might help here as well.

TriceLegend

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There are many ways to present a NAS and I’m not so familiar with the Fritzbox. Could you explain more about how you connect the two and what protocol you are using to present files? Screenshots might help here as well.
The Fritz.box is a Router and the Router has a USB port. At this USB port is a HDD drive by Western Digital 5tb
In the OS of Fritzbox : i can not post links so Search for Fritzbox 7590 on google
There is a Option For NAS i turned it on. Then i set up a User for the Nas and gave him all Premissions for Reading and writing
I turned on SMB 1 so that Kodi Works with my nas.
I have Android installed on my Switch and in Android i have Kodi Installed.
That Kodi works with the NAS i have to Set it on SMB 1.
Streaming Movies and Animes works great.
But tinfoil gives me always a error.
i hope this explains my setup
Maybe someone out there i think mostly the Germans will have a Fritzbox too so they can test it out

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Fritz.box is a Router and the Router has a USB port. At this USB port is a HDD drive by Western Digital 5tb
In the OS of Fritzbox : i can not post links so Search for Fritzbox 7590 on google
There is a Option For NAS i turned it on. Then i set up a User for the Nas and gave him all Premissions for Reading and writing
I turned on SMB 1 so that Kodi Works with my nas.
I have Android installed on my Switch and in Android i have Kodi Installed.
That Kodi works with the NAS i have to Set it on SMB 1.
Streaming Movies and Animes works great.
But tinfoil gives me always a error.
i hope this explains my setup
Maybe someone out there i think mostly the Germans will have a Fritzbox too so they can test it out
Perfect! Thanks for the details. I did search for Fritzbox and saw the router and assumed I was looking at the wrong thing. You can set up tinfoil to search an SMB drive pretty easily. Let me find the thread. Hmmmm. Can’t seem to find it.

Do you have Tinfoil set up to use the SMB protocol? The server name, username and password to the share are straightforward to set up once you have Tinfoil set to use SMB.

What we’re you using on the raspberry pi to serve up SMB?

Last edited by binkinator,

TriceLegend

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Perfect! Thanks for the details. I did search for Fritzbox and saw the router and assumed I was looking at the wrong thing. You can set up tinfoil to search an SMB drive pretty easily. Let me find the thread. Hmmmm. Can’t seem to find it.

Do you have Tinfoil set up to use the SMB protocol? The server name, username and password to the share are straightforward to set up once you have Tinfoil set to use SMB.

What we’re you using on the raspberry pi to serve up SMB?

yes i set up SMB in tinfoil with everthing needed Correct.
I can See the games with Pictures and everything.
but when i hit download it instantly Failes
I cant Tell you much about the Rasberry Setup
I just know that it works with other NAS setups. Just with the Fritzbox it didnt work and i dont know why

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes i set up SMB in tinfoil with everthing needed Correct.
I can See the games with Pictures and everything.
but when i hit download it instantly Failes
I cant Tell you much about the Rasberry Setup
I just know that it works with other NAS setups. Just with the Fritzbox it didnt work and i dont know why
I wonder if it’s an issue w/ the SMB version. You went through this setting to allow smb 1, correct?

https://en.avm.de/service/knowledge...3327_SMB-versions-supported-by-the-FRITZ-Box/

Maybe change it to smb2?
Post automatically merged:

Oh…Fritzbox will do ftp. Tinfoil works great with ftp.

https://en.avm.de/service/knowledge...essing-storage-NAS-over-the-internet-via-FTP/

And it will do http as well! Quite the handy little machine. Tinfoil works great with HTTP servers.

https://en.avm.de/service/knowledge...0/1217_Accessing-FRITZ-NAS-over-the-internet/

I would NOT recommend opening these protocols up to the Internet, so skip that part if you try it.

I think I know what is happening.

Are you entering the IP address of your fritz!box to access the SMB server?

According to this document the fritz!box 7590 ax thinks it’s name is fritz.box.

https://en.avm.de/service/knowledge...orage-NAS-on-the-computer-as-a-network-drive/

I’m thinking you will be able to access the files by IP for browsing but when you ask for a file it is showing \\fritz.box\fritz.nas\MyCool.NSP instead of \\192.168.4.1\fritz.nas\MyCool.NSP and your switch doesn’t know what that hostname is.

To test the theory, try putting this at the end of your /atmosphere/hosts/default.txt file:

Code:
1.2.3.4 fritz.box # change 1.2.3.4 to be the REAL internal IPaddress of the fritz!box

This will allow you to use the name fritz.box both in the server name in Tinfoil AND it will resolve the right host if that’s what the fritz!box is sending back as a response when Tinfoil requests a file.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for your Answer.
Okay i will try FTP but this seems complicatet so i will need a whole day or more to undersstand this and get it set up right :D
Try the DNS /atmosphere/hosts/default.txt thing I posted at the end first. I honestly think it might solve everything for you right now without any further changes required.

To test the theory, try putting this line at the end of your /atmosphere/hosts/default.txt file:
Code:
1.2.3.4 fritz.box # change 1.2.3.4 to be the REAL internal IPaddress of the fritz!box’’

Remember to change the IP to the REAL internal IP of your fritz!box in order for your Switch to be able to resolve the fritz.box IP address properly.

TriceLegend

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Try the DNS /atmosphere/hosts/default.txt thing I posted at the end first. I honestly think it might solve everything for you right now without any further changes required.

Remember to change the IP to the REAL internal IP of your fritz!box in order for your Switch to be able to resolve the fritz.box IP address properly.
sadly this does not work :( i will try the ftp one if i have enough time to thank you much for you help

Reactions: binkinator

marhalloweenvt

Trophies
XP
Country
FYI, SMB implementation of Tinfoil is kinda buggy and nearly drops connection randomly in middle of downloading process. I have try with following NAS options:
  • Qnap NAS
  • Raspberry pi 4 with Samba (Orico dock with 2 2TB drives connect with Pi by USB 3.0)
  • NAS option in my local internet provider Router
  • Asus Lyra Trio router NAS
=> I am sure that SMB of my set-up is working perfectly. I can use any devices in my house to access data stored on them. Beside that, even services like Jellyfin, qbit torrent can event access those data. But not my Switch.

So my strong advice is using FTP instead, slower, setup a little complicated but it's better and more stable than SMB if you use them on Switch

TriceLegend

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I wonder if it’s an issue w/ the SMB version. You went through this setting to allow smb 1, correct?

https://en.avm.de/service/knowledge...3327_SMB-versions-supported-by-the-FRITZ-Box/

Maybe change it to smb2?

Oh…Fritzbox will do ftp. Tinfoil works great with ftp.

https://en.avm.de/service/knowledge...essing-storage-NAS-over-the-internet-via-FTP/

And it will do http as well! Quite the handy little machine. Tinfoil works great with HTTP servers.

https://en.avm.de/service/knowledge...0/1217_Accessing-FRITZ-NAS-over-the-internet/

I would NOT recommend opening these protocols up to the Internet, so skip that part if you try it.

I think I know what is happening.

Are you entering the IP address of your fritz!box to access the SMB server?

According to this document the fritz!box 7590 ax thinks it’s name is fritz.box.

https://en.avm.de/service/knowledge...orage-NAS-on-the-computer-as-a-network-drive/

I’m thinking you will be able to access the files by IP for browsing but when you ask for a file it is showing \\fritz.box\fritz.nas\MyCool.NSP instead of \\192.168.4.1\fritz.nas\MyCool.NSP and your switch doesn’t know what that hostname is.

To test the theory, try putting this at the end of your /atmosphere/hosts/default.txt file:

Code:
1.2.3.4 fritz.box # change 1.2.3.4 to be the REAL internal IPaddress of the fritz!box

This will allow you to use the name fritz.box both in the server name in Tinfoil AND it will resolve the right host if that’s what the fritz!box is sending back as a response when Tinfoil requests a file.
Thank to this Post and this man i was able now to acces my Nas via FTP over Tinfoil and finally it works now ! i can download the files via My local network and even from the mobile very Nice i say

• Love

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank to this Post and this man i was able now to acces my Nas via FTP over Tinfoil and finally it works now ! i can download the files via My local network and even from the mobile very Nice i say

Glad you’re sorted. Thanks for checking back in. I needed closure on this. LOL

On a side note, that fritzbox is a versatile little box. I wish they sold them in my area!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/rI5IRxpcwDk?si=g8PPkbkjsSuwpjZW