GBAtemp 台灣人
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Just a little personal thought on the User Submitted News forum, but I'm wondering if other members agree or not. I think in recent months, the USN forum seemingly surged in popularity, and through doing so, has also gone in an uncontrolled flail downhill. The forum is now extremely unorganized, cluttered with "news" on even the smallest of events in the world. There have been plenty of duplicate news threads being created despite the originals clearly being near the top of the page. Also, more recently, there have been a ton of 'rumour' topics popping up as well. Maybe it's just my opinion, but rumours shouldn't count as news, as they are not stated as fact.

I think we can do a little cleaning up in this department. Perhaps one way we can manage this is through sub-forums, or perhaps tagging topics under certain categories. Dividing the forum into, say: "Gaming", "World News", and "Rumours", would be a good way to do it in my opinion. Perhaps, if possible, we don't need to create sub-forums, and instead rely on users having to use certain tags in the title such as [Gaming], or [Rumour], and have respective filters being available for other members to apply so they can view only that certain category.

Going a bit more extreme, and I realize this would largely depend on the time and availability of the GBAtemp staff, perhaps we should have an approval process for threads, and eliminate the USN forum completely in favour of a submission ballot of a said news topic, before being re-posted in the GBAtemp Magazine News forum under their respective sub-forums.

Sorry if I made this sound more like a rant, but I think it is something worthy of discussion. Again, I'm not familiar with the capabilities of programming a forum, but those are my suggestions. I'm curious whether the rest of the community agrees, or is it just that I'm like a needle in a haystack here being all too picky.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Many have tried before, but no one succeeded.
The USN will still be a bunch of irrelevant stuff with occasional relevant stuff.

And about the tags, you have to trust the users will put them, which doesn't happen that often.

I'm not personally against rumors but I hate it when people create news threads which say one little undescribed fact or which quote something a guy said.

Seriously, I couldn't care less about this random game analyst who said the SNES would've done better if it was green.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
USN is fine and it's too slow to have different sections for it.

Best way to browse forums: Look at the topic title. Don't like it? Don't click it.

Z

Zorua

Or perhaps we could have separate sub forums instead of tags.
That way, a person who wants to read news about gaming wont have to go through news about murders.
The problem is that the mods will have to put all of those topics into their respective sub-forums.....

Z

Zorua

Edited my post to add something new.
The USN is fine as is.
Nothing can be done really.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not to be a dick but you still didn't

QUOTE said:
I think we can do a little cleaning up in this department. Perhaps one way we can manage this is through sub-forums, or perhaps tagging topics under certain categories. Dividing the forum into, say: "Gaming", "World News", and "Rumours", would be a good way to do it in my opinion.

QUOTEI realize this would largely depend on the time and availability of the GBAtemp staff, perhaps we should have an approval process for threads, and eliminate the USN forum completely in favour of a submission ballot of a said news topic, before being re-posted in the GBAtemp Magazine News forum under their respective sub-forums.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
prowler_ said:
USN is fine and it's too slow to have different sections for it.

Best way to browse forums: Look at the topic title. Don't like it? Don't click it.

that's the general consensus we have here.
we aren't planning anything regarding the USN at this time

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The idea of having tags in the title is the best method to sort through the fluff.
The only problem with the are the lazy tempers who don't format ANYTHING.
One way to avoid the lazy tempers being lazy and not putting the tags would be to create either a drop down box with the tags inside OR a "poll"(the boxes you tick e.t.c.) where the person submitting the news MUST pick the relevant tag or they can't post the topic.
Once a tag is picked it is added to the start of the topic title automatically upon posting.
The tag formatting could be:
[GAMING] [WORLD] [RUMOR] [OTHER]

Just my input to this topic.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would agree with having separate tabs for NEWS and RUMORS. It's kind of annoying clicking on User Submitted News and being inundated with various "rumors" and hearsay. The rumor topics also tend to turn into flame wars and "my console/brand is better" fanboy arguments...

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This topic was only brought up because of 01net. Pretty much 90% of all those who want a rumors section are those flaming/trolling the recent troubles on the wii u and the 3ds.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chartube12 said:
This topic was only brought up because of 01net. Pretty much 90% of all those who want a rumors section are those flaming/trolling the recent troubles on the wii u and the 3ds.

That's quite the broad generalization and I'm not even sure I can make sense of it. There have been rumor threads far longer than there have been any WiiU and 3DS threads. Not seeing the correlation.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarkWay said:
The idea of having tags in the title is the best method to sort through the fluff.
The only problem with the are the lazy tempers who don't format ANYTHING.
One way to avoid the lazy tempers being lazy and not putting the tags would be to create either a drop down box with the tags inside OR a "poll"(the boxes you tick e.t.c.) where the person submitting the news MUST pick the relevant tag or they can't post the topic.
Once a tag is picked it is added to the start of the topic title automatically upon posting.
The tag formatting could be:
[GAMING] [WORLD] [RUMOR] [OTHER]

Just my input to this topic.
I agree, it would be better than making sub sections for rumors and actually news.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
    +1
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Why so serious!
    @BakerMan, yeah that's about the only reason I would vote for Trump over Biden.
    +1
    In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same. +1