Misc Using a laptop as a hotspot.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The DS needs an AP for WiFi connection, so unless you can run a softAP on your laptop's wireless, the only thing you can do is use additional hardware intended for this purpose, such as the Nintendo WiFi connector or the Datel WiFi Max.

ChrnoXIII

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
intel for example offers a soft AP solution with their intel my wi-fi utility.
this essentially turns your laptop into a wireless router i believe
it is doable... but im sure there would be alot of configuration required and alot of trouble too...

the ad-hoc mode included in windows/mac/linux could potentially work but as i have never tried it out, i cannot be sure...
althought i think the ad-hoc mode wont work because it dosnt turn ur laptop into an access point which the ds/psp needs to be able to connect
can anyone else lend a hand?
has anyone ever tried this?

m-p{3}

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
If your wireless card support the Access Point mode you should be able to connect with it, but keep in mind that you'll need to get an Internet access from another mean (wired connection) to the laptop which act as a bridge between the ISP and the console.

Velveteer

Trophies
XP
Country
Just to clarify, despite the menu listing it as an option, Ad-Hoc, does not, in fact, work with the DS/DSL. I'm not sure about the DSi, though.

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
You can indeed turn a laptop into a wireless hotspot. You can find out how here: http://lifehacker.com/280002/turn-your-lap...reless-hot-spot

There's instructions for Vista, Mac OS X and XP in the video in the link, and if you have Windows 7, its practically the same as Vista.
That did not help (it's ad-hoc). How do I know my laptop can support SoftAP, and how do I turn it into one? By the way, my computer is Vista with a Broadcom wireless adapter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I thought it was duck season, not... king kong season....