Valve delays the Steam Deck Docking Station indefinitely

DockingStation.jpg

Valve has delayed the Steam Deck Docking Station indefinitely, citing COVID closures and parts shortages as the reason. The Docking Station had been delayed before, but Valve was still confident they could release it in late Spring. Now, they can only give reassurances that they're working on the situation, and will provide an update when they have one, whenever that may be.

However, this will not affect production schedules or reservation windows for the actual Steam Deck, as it uses different parts from different factories.

Valve also claims that they're still working on "improving the docked experience" with existing USB-C hubs and external displays.

:arrow: Source

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea theres no real down side for consumers.
1.They already stated its not going to impact Steam Decks production itself
2. You are not limited to only use their dock as most Crappy $20 docks work fine
2. They also stated they are working on more 3rd party dock support

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Still curious as to when I'll get my deck purchase link. I'd rather just pay upfront and not have to worry about my email ending up in spam. >.>"

Reactions: krakenx

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Good to know I should just get a regular dock, then...was really excited for a solution from Valve that might have been a little more hassle free. Oh well.

Reactions: Xzi

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Still curious as to when I'll get my deck purchase link. I'd rather just pay upfront and not have to worry about my email ending up in spam. >.>"
In my case, the steam deck calculator(moo) was accurate to the day months in advance. :)

Edit:right... On topic: I've got to be honest and say i was pretty indifferent. The deck is a pc. As far as I've read, any regular usb-c dock works. So why buy a valve one?

Last edited by Taleweaver,

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
In my case, the steam deck calculator(moo) was accurate to the day months in advance. :)

Didn't know about that, thanks.

Seems to say it'll be ready by the 18th.

1654186134015.png

Interesting website.

Also good to know that emails are only sent on Mondays, that saves a lot of hassle.

Last edited by Skelletonike,
Reactions: Taleweaver

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Does the dock actually make a difference or would something like this do the same thing?
532CA6B2-22D6-4001-8ECB-6579427AC78B.jpeg
I actually use this on my Switch and get the same results as if I was using the actual dock.

Reactions: StrayGuitarist

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Does the dock actually make a difference or would something like this do the same thing?
View attachment 312415
I actually use this on my Switch and get the same results as if I was using the actual dock.
Should work fine as long as it's got at least 65W passthrough charging. Switch is down lower at like 45W IIRC.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Should work fine as long as it's got at least 65W passthrough charging. Switch is down lower at like 45W IIRC.
It should be able to but I’ve yet to test it on anything other than MacBook Pro (2017,) and an ASUS chromebook. I am pretty sure the MacBook Pro uses something like 61 to 65, according to Google but I would suggest verifying that. If that is the case, then an adapter like this should work on Decks, kind making an official one not as important. It’s nice but seems easily replaceable.

Reactions: Xzi

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It should be able to but I’ve yet to test it on anything other than MacBook Pro (2017,) and an ASUS chromebook. I am pretty sure the MacBook Pro uses something like 61 to 65, according to Google but I would suggest verifying that. If that is the case, then an adapter like this should work on Decks, kind making an official one not as important. It’s nice but seems easily replaceable.
you should be becareful, I also have a MacBook Pro 2017 I have 3 usb hubs for it. but not all hubs are the same
I had one refuse to charge the Steam deck ( even though it charges the Mac fine) another one was really bad a using the external display ( Displayport) it would take forever to switch and someones doesn't .

I ending up buying a crappy dock for 17$ dock (for DisplayPort) and switches perfectly

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
you should be becareful, I also have a MacBook Pro 2017 I have 3 usb hubs for it. but not all hubs are the same
I had one refuse to charge the Steam deck ( even though it charges the Mac fine) another one was really bad a using the external display ( Displayport) it would take forever to switch and someones doesn't .

I ending up buying a crappy dock for 17$ dock (for DisplayPort) and switches perfectly
I found that to be the case as well. I had one hub stop working after the Catalina update. I’ve yet to have issues with hubs on my Switch though. I don’t have a Deck to test if my current hubs will work on it, so yeah

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how big the PC-less deck community is, I assume that is not too much. For gaming PC owners the dock is not that useful, the cloud on steam works close to perfection.
I have the Steam Deck, and I use it with a USB-C dock almost daily. Yes, it's easy enough to copy files back and forth from my PC. But having a keyboard and mouse plugged in is a godsend when it comes to configuring emulators, dual boot, other game stores, and other stuff.

If you strictly plan on using the Steam Deck for Steam games, the keyboard and mouse may not be that helpful. But if you want to spend the extra time to configure the Deck to use it for it's full potential, a USB-C dock will save you from a lot of headaches.

Reactions: Frostrime

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Xdqwerty, Hi