Valve delays the Steam Deck Docking Station indefinitely

DockingStation.jpg

Valve has delayed the Steam Deck Docking Station indefinitely, citing COVID closures and parts shortages as the reason. The Docking Station had been delayed before, but Valve was still confident they could release it in late Spring. Now, they can only give reassurances that they're working on the situation, and will provide an update when they have one, whenever that may be.

However, this will not affect production schedules or reservation windows for the actual Steam Deck, as it uses different parts from different factories.

Valve also claims that they're still working on "improving the docked experience" with existing USB-C hubs and external displays.

:arrow: Source

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should work fine as long as it's got at least 65W passthrough charging. Switch is down lower at like 45W IIRC.
I've been using a USB-C dock, plugged into two monitors, ethernet, a mouse, and keyboard. I'm using the 45 watt charger that came with the Steam Deck, with no issues. Your mileage may vary.

By the way, here's the dock I use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0874M3KW4

Edit: I should mention that I'm not doing any heavy gaming when I use the USB-C dock. I'm using it for work, and at the end of the day I can unplug one USB-C cable and it's back to portable handheld gaming. I don't know whether the 45 watt charger would be sufficient to charge the unit if I was playing a AAA title while using the dock.

Reactions: Xzi

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I think thsy could make a better one anyway.
Maybe the extra time will help.
In the mean time least we have a lot of alternatives.

Sworly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Luckily, unlike Nintendo, you're not forced to use their proprietary crap (or risk shorting the device or risk losing your warranty coverage) and can opt to use both non-OEM stands and cables.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how big the PC-less deck community is, I assume that is not too much. For gaming PC owners the dock is not that useful, the cloud on steam works close to perfection.
Yeah, but for something that's supposed to be a Switch killer, it's a pretty significant piece of the hardware to still not have available.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Didn't know about that, thanks.

Seems to say it'll be ready by the 18th.

View attachment 312413

Interesting website.

Also good to know that emails are only sent on Mondays, that saves a lot of hassle.
Erm... That says the twentieth (but 18 days from that moment).
Of course that's still an indication without warranty, but again: it turned out fine for me.
Mondays are the main days, but they occasionally send them out on Thursday as well. Either way, you've got three days to fulfill the actual order, so there's some but not unreasonable pressure...

Reactions: Skelletonike

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Yeah, but for something that's supposed to be a Switch killer, it's a pretty significant piece of the hardware to still not have available.
I don't know man, people gave the deck this title but it never was a Switch killer, never will be either.

Valve can't produce a fraction of switch's production, this is just a major reason why, but there are many others.

The dock itself I believe it was meant more for people who don't have a gaming PC already. Those who do will have more performance on desktop anyway.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know man, people gave the deck this title but it never was a Switch killer, never will be either.

Valve can't produce a fraction of switch's production, this is just a major reason why, but there are many others.

The dock itself I believe it was meant more for people who don't have a gaming PC already. Those who do will have more performance on desktop anyway.
Oh I completely agree, but that doesn't mean that people don't still swear that it is indeed a Switch Killer. But if anyone truly believes that, then this significant piece of hardware needs to be readily available for it.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Oh I completely agree, but that doesn't mean that people don't still swear that it is indeed a Switch Killer. But if anyone truly believes that, then this significant piece of hardware needs to be readily available for it.
Not really, just about any USB-C hub beats out Switch's dock in price and overall functionality. Steam Deck is also already the Switch killer for me, it has replaced 95% of what I previously used my Switch for. Biggest difference is Deck's focus on the portable experience, where I don't even really feel the need to connect it to an external display. Pulling down 60 FPS at 720p/800p (and still getting 3h30m+ out of the battery) is perfect for games like Monster Hunter: Rise. Compared to what, 540p@30 FPS for Switch's portable experience?

It's a no-brainer for anyone with a decent-sized Steam library, and to make things even more crazy, it emulates a number of Switch games well. Link's Awakening at 60 FPS, even better than the original hardware of another "current gen" system. Steam Deck is a Switch Pro, and so much more besides.

Last edited by Xzi,

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Not really, just about any USB-C hub beats out Switch's dock in price and overall functionality. Steam Deck is also already the Switch killer for me, it has replaced 95% of what I previously used my Switch for. Biggest difference is Deck's focus on the portable experience, where I don't even really feel the need to connect it to an external display. Pulling down 60 FPS at 720p/800p (and still getting 3h30m+ out of the battery) is perfect for games like Monster Hunter: Rise. Compared to what, 540p@30 FPS for Switch's portable experience?

It's a no-brainer for anyone with a decent-sized Steam library, and to make things even more crazy, it emulates a number of Switch games well. Link's Awakening at a 60 FPS, even better than the original hardware of another "current gen" system. Steam Deck is a Switch Pro, and so much more besides.
Nah, It will not kill the switch so it is not the switch killer. The reasons are practical ones. Valve sell the Deck with loss, so they can't afford huge production of that thing.

Nintendo on other hand has huge production and a very well made selling network.

Also in favor of Nintendo we have the size. I have hori split pads and the switch with that is atrocious in size so I can't it anywhere that way without a backpack, people say that the deck is even bigger than that. Again other practical problem.

There are other more niche problems like the lack of physical media on PC, advantages for multiple users on switch side and so on.

Nothing that means that the deck is worse, but means that switch will pass through the deck fenomena without a dent.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nah, It will not kill the switch so it is not the switch killer.
I'm obviously not talking in terms of sales or popularity, I'm talking in a practical sense. If it can both emulate Switch and play brand new AAA games reasonably well, and it can, it's a Switch killer. Honestly the only surprise here is that Switch wasn't vastly outclassed long before Steam Deck came along, as Nintendo insisted upon sticking 2012's hardware inside of it to increase the profit margin.

Also in favor of Nintendo we have the size. I have hori split pads and the switch with that is atrocious in size so I can't it anywhere that way without a backpack, people say that the deck is even bigger than that. Again other practical problem.
Nah Deck is almost the exact same size as that. I know because I preferred using my Switch with a Hori Splitpad Pro when portable. Now I only rarely use it docked to play Kirby and Switch Sports.

There are other more niche problems like the lack of physical media on PC, advantages for multiple users on switch side and so on.
Not really a "problem" when the games are always cheaper via Steam/Steam key. Not to mention 1TB SSDs are as cheap as $90. People call it a Switch tax for a reason.

Nothing that means that the deck is worse, but means that switch will pass through the deck fenomena without a dent.
Well yeah, Switch had already sold 100 million units before Steam Deck started shipping. If anything, this new wave of portable gaming PCs could and should have an effect on the way Nintendo chooses to do things with their next console. If it's another hybrid like Switch, they need to be a lot more consumer-friendly about it this time around, not to mention establish a much better online infrastructure.

Reactions: emigre

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and co op
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, kind of like mugen or rivals of aether?
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and also ahve the option to play as a human
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or set it up that when you get injured past a certain point they have to replace your human parts with cybernetics
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i have a placeholder enemy sprite i made
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or have it that you don't know you are a cyborg, robot, and you find out and have a existential crisis
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or have it start in the virtual world and you are an ai that gained sentience
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    btw gonna wash my face in a bit, my eyes feel tired
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and you convince your owner to help you break out of the virtual world to real world
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Eyes - "yawn"
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you bleack in to goverment computer systems to get cyborg schematics so you can get a robot body constructed
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    btw @BigOnYa the health bar doesnt decrease when i take damage (and yes i put the "at the beggining of the scene change value of greenflatbar: set to Protagonistcopmode.Health::Health())
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    i the protagonist
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    human, robot, cyborg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    human with cyborg enhancements
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or like terminatior
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    with living tissue
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty there is health behaviour you can add to your character, then to use a health bar is lil more complicated, google n watch a few tutorial video on it, be too hard to explain here.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, the character has the health behavior
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I know you have to create a health and health max variable. Then there is a calculation you use in code to subtract width size of the health bar. Google few vids.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, the "greenflatbar" is one of the preset health bars btw
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you can use any bar/sprite. It will just change the width. Ok good luck and have fun. I'm off to go shoot some pool at the bar. Talk to you later.
    +1
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yea you can use any bar/sprite. It will just change the width. Ok good luck and have fun. I'm... +1