Homebrew Virtual Boy Emulator Being Prepped for a Port to Wii ?

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
A new Beta version of the VirtualBoy emulator RealityBoy was released.
Wow, another long stretch! DogP made a very nice contribution to the emulator and I had been doodling around with it for the past several months so I decided it was time to release a new version. DogP added sound support (win32 only) and added link port emulation using tcp/ip. He also fixed some major bugs in Affine mode and in the opcodes. Now all commercial roms run and all but the direct draw games are fully playable. I have been cleaning up the code in preparation of porting it to both SDL and the XBox. This should open things up to being ported to more interesting platforms like the Nintendo Wii. You can grab reality boy 0.84 for windows here and the source code here. I decided to stop distributing the compiled versions of both linux and dos, you can

Source/Download
Virtual-Boy.jpg

True failure this system, 19 games released, Nintendo weren't mean to release it, but they did, N64 was their focus, and virtual boy was scrapped...

Some Nice 3D Gaming with GLASSES one of these days!

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think this is impossible. Virtual Boy was more like a Viewmaster, but with moving images. So it's like binocular vision where each eye has their own viewing lens. How could you make that work on the Wii with only one telly? 3D view with 3D-glasses is a complete different approach.
So I'm curious what this emulator will turn out to be.

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I think this is impossible. Virtual Boy was more like a Viewmaster, but with moving images. So it's like binocular vision where each eye has their own viewing lens. How could you make that work on the Wii with only one telly? 3D view with 3D-glasses is a complete different approach.
So I'm curious what this emulator will turn out to be.
yeah I'm quite sceptical about it, would be mad if they managed it....

BrainDance

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dagreenone said:
Thanks for the status info
biggrin.gif

From what I hear the Wario Land Virtual Boy game was worth playing.

In all honesty it was the best Wario game I've ever played. The Virtual Boy isn't as bad as people make it out to be, if you can play it without getting splitting headaches it's a great and novel console. Mario Tennis was great to.

I don't think the games will really be the same without 3D (the Virtual Boy did a great job of that) but still, with red/blue glasses it might be neat, I doubt as good though, VB 3D was way better than 3D glasses could do.

Virtual Boys are cheap though, I lost my original one a long time ago, so I just bought a Japanese VB with 11 games or so for $90. If you can find the time and money to add one to your collection it's worth it.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It could be stereoscopic image & video.
each eye viewing his own part of the TV. (games will need zoom function for easier viewing)
I'm sure games could use this method, even if it may be tiring for long time play.

I had this idea for a homebrew on DS, but I'm lacking programming skill for rendering method.

and for an animated example :
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=eYLl6FTNN2w
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=PEQi4Zq5384&...feature=related

Parallel eyes viewing is better than crossing eyes viewing.

The bad thing with this method is the fact you will have 3 images on screens all the time : the center one with 3D, and both side 2D only for the eye's own image.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1