Gaming Vita Slim coming to the US, $199 inc. Borderlands 2 & 8GB memory card

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been waiting for news about the Vita TV before I bought a Vita. Then this happens. I thought the idea of having games like Persona 4 Golden on my tv would be awesome, but then I thought about it. The Vita's resolution is 544p (if I remember correctly). It'd probably look pretty bad if you had a fairly large TV, and mine is 40". So, because of this, I'm probably going to get this bundle, and sell the Borderlands 2 game and DLC. Already have it on the PC (and I actually paid for it for once).

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
To bad the screen is terrible, looks like a good bundle. Everybody make sure you get you're OLED's now while you still can.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I'll rather get LCD than OLED even though OLED looks better, because OLED use too much power, I might get extended 6+ years with LCD, while OLED 3+. I'll rather be smart then dumb.
Also this just in pigs fly and unicorns run rampant lol if you think you're getting a longer lifespan on you're LCD that's well wishing. Bottom line is you're paying the same price for a inferior handheld, all the small little cosmetic changes don't make up for the screen not by a long shot. So if that's "smart" to you go for it. But please don't bring you're 2000 anywhere near someone with the 1000 you'll quickly regret it.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Also this just in pigs fly and unicorns run rampant lol if you think you're getting a longer lifespan on you're LCD that's well wishing. Bottom line is you're paying the same price for a inferior handheld, all the small little cosmetic changes don't make up for the screen not by a long shot. So if that's "smart" to you go for it. But please don't bring you're 2000 anywhere near someone with the 1000 you'll quickly regret it.
To be fair, OLED displays do have some lifespan issues due to the organic components (long term lifespan, not battery life). The displays of the newer units are pretty much guaranteed to last longer than the displays on the OLED units. As well, if you're talking battery life, that is definitely longer on the 2000 model. Regardless, the cheaper screen does have some draws, no matter how much I love my OLED Vita.

Reactions: 6SoulTriox

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no news about a 64GB card for the states? has i would say BIGGER IS BETTER!!

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We get it, you have an OLED fetish. Let the man (or woman) make their own choice.

I, for one, and gonna head to my local Gamestop or Best Buy when the new model comes out and see if there are any side-by-side comparisons. If the 2000 doesn't look bad, I'd rather get it than the original. Not only does it have internal storage (which is all I'll need because I'd rather buy used games than digital ones), but it comes with Borderlands 2 and its DLC. I'll then sell that game and its DLC, and make the effective price of the console even less.

Social_Outlaw

G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
HOW? OLED uses way more power, The regular fat model has basically has old hardware with OLED that might mess up in the long run, while the 2000 Is thinner, has new updated hardware with an better updated lCD screen, that use less stress on the system, Why use an original, when you can use a better Alternative method?.

As I will say again, I'll rather be smart then dumb.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/09/son...-lcd-screen-and-one-hour-longer-battery-life/

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's weird, this page says OLED is better in every conceivable way: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/oled5.htm ... it is better at brightness, colors, power consumption, slimness, and field of view, the only thing it is not better at is manufacturing costs, and lifespan.

The Vita 2000 was very confusing for me and everyone involved, I'm sure we all thought the same thing "oh, they switched to LCD to improve x ... no wait, OLED is better at x" ... Repeat for y and z... I'll say it was manufacturing costs. That's the most likely reason and/or biggest reason for the switch.

I don't care about screen, though, I am going with 2000 for the bigger grips, smaller rear touch, and micro USB charging.

This Borderlands 2 bundle is absurdly good, so good it could be a huge boon for the Vita.
I might get this bundle, but we'll see. A release date hasn't even been announced yet. Worse still, the game hasn't even been released, so for all I know, every time the game gets delayed, so will the bundle!

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
HOW? OLED uses way more power, The regular fat model has basically has old hardware with OLED that might mess up in the long run, while the 2000 Is thinner, has new updated hardware with an better updated lCD screen, that use less stress on the system, Why use an original, when you can use a better Alternative method?.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/09/son...-lcd-screen-and-one-hour-longer-battery-life/

"Updated hardware"? Lolwut?

The only "update" the new Vita has is the addition of the 1GB on-board storage, switching from the proprietary cable to Micro USB, and the LCD screen. That's literally it, besides changing the size of the back touchpad. The only thing I would consider being better about the Slim is the Micro USB cable, the rest is trivial or a downgrade.

And the OLED screen in the Vita will last approximately 10+ years, even with prolonged use. Sony took precautionary measures when it came to their OLED screens; chances of accidental burn-in are slim to none, the lifetime for the most recent OLED screens (which, AFAIK, Sony uses in the Vita) is approximately the same as LCD and even if it was just old OLED tech you would need to spend 8 hours everyday for 5 years for the screen to degrade to a point where it's noticeable.

At this point, the only benefit LCD brings compared to OLED is better battery life and it's size/weight. It's hardly the "better" option in terms of quality.

Social_Outlaw

G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
"Updated hardware"? Lolwut?

The only "update" the new Vita has is the addition of the 1GB on-board storage, switching from the proprietary cable to Micro USB, and the LCD screen. That's literally it, besides changing the size of the back touchpad. The only thing I would consider being better about the Slim is the Micro USB cable, the rest is trivial or a downgrade.

And the OLED screen in the Vita will last approximately 10+ years, even with prolonged use. Sony took precautionary measures when it came to their OLED screens; chances of accidental burn-in are slim to none, the lifetime for the most recent OLED screens (which, AFAIK, Sony uses in the Vita) is approximately the same as LCD and even if it was just old OLED tech you would need to spend 8 hours everyday for 5 years for the screen to degrade to a point where it's noticeable.

At this point, the only benefit LCD brings compared to OLED is better battery life and it's size/weight. It's hardly the "better" option in terms of quality.

OOPS I thought it had slightly updated hardware, due to the fact it's a little bit thinner. I was thinking since they updated the newer ps3 hardware, sony is gonna update the ps vita hardware, sorry, I did that off assumption I mess up my fault lol.

Wait wouldn't OLED be stressful on the system, due to it being better quality?. I would think LCD with less color would be better alternative also an additional one hour of battery life, Thats why I would choose to get the ps vita 2000, even though it's a downgrade.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
A few things:
1) This is a port that has had a lot of time spent on Vita optimization. Seriously. They announced this around six months ago and are still working on it. That's a lot of time for porting these days. It shows that they're really putting time into it. Thus, it should be a pretty good port, not like the Jak & Daxter HD collection was on the Vita.

2) They're porting a damned fine game, and there are people like me that have barely had the chance to play it who will happily jump right on top of this offer. All because you have both a PS3 and a Vita, thus, get the most out of PS+, doesn't mean everybody else does. Just because you have a home console and the means necessary to play the game does not mean everybody else does.

3) The free version was the no frills, vanilla Borderlands 2. Borderlands 2 on the Vita will apparently come with six packs of DLC included, which is really only fair considering the price of the GOTY version on the likes of the 360. In the long run, buying all of that DLC on the PS3 will equal, if not exceed the price of Borderlands 2 on the Vita, so really, was getting it for free on PS+ that great of a deal? Not to mention that your DLC you buy for that PS+ title is only good for as long as your PS+ membership is.

As well, like I said, this was announced over six months ago. If you're just now complaining because you don't like the idea of the Vita getting ports, you are pretty far behind.

Even if it's going to be great port it's still going to be just port. If someone haven't played it yet then yes it may be neat idea to get that with all DLC additions but that's still pretty slim audience - considering you can buy season pass or GOTY already on other platforms you may already own.
I'm not againts ports but they just aren't all that interesting and definitly far from system seller.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
OOPS I thought it had slightly updated hardware, due to the fact it's a little bit thinner. I was thinking since they updated the newer ps3 hardware, sony is gonna update the ps vita hardware, sorry, I did that off assumption I mess up my fault lol.

Wait wouldn't OLED be stressful on the system, due to it being better quality?. I would think LCD with less color would be better alternative also an additional one hour of battery life, Thats why I would choose to get the ps vita 2000, even though it's a downgrade.
Ok, first off they never really "upgraded" any hardware in the PS3 models either, they all have the same CELL processor, same RAM, same everything. They removed the PS2 hardware and used better cooling components to help avoid YLOD. Along the way they ended up changing some of the BD Drives, and I think they added some extra audio components in the later Slims, but other than that all the PS3's run on the same "hardware" and have the same performance.

The only "stress" is battery consumption, it's just a video output so it's not going to put anymore "stress" on the CPU/GPU than any other display at the same resolution would. The only reason the Slim Vita is going to have better battery life is because LCD screens don't draw as much power as OLED does.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

LOL yes, the new vita is an upgrade, whatever you say my friend. Sony will keep downgrading there consoles as long as there's idiots that buy them. SONY TOOK OUT OLED TO SAVE MONEY PEOPLE! THAT'S IT.

Ok, first off they never really "upgraded" any hardware in the PS3 models either, they all have the same CELL processor, same RAM, same everything. They removed the PS2 hardware and used better cooling components to help avoid YLOD. Along the way they ended up changing some of the BD Drives, and I think they added some extra audio components in the later Slims, but other than that all the PS3's run on the same "hardware" and have the same performance.

The only "stress" is battery consumption, it's just a video output so it's not going to put anymore "stress" on the CPU/GPU than any other display at the same resolution would. The only reason the Slim Vita is going to have better battery life is because LCD screens don't draw as much power as OLED does.

Let him be. He's "smart".

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL yes, the new vita is an upgrade, whatever you say my friend. Sony will keep downgrading there consoles as long as there's idiots that buy them. SONY TOOK OUT OLED TO SAVE MONEY PEOPLE! THAT'S IT.

Let him be. He's "smart".

There are a few changes to the slim that people are really liking, the slim should of been what the first vita was but with a OLED screen. Hell it wouldn't of even hurt them to attempt to give it a higher ppi score.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
There are a few changes to the slim that people are really liking, the slim should of been what the first vita was but with a OLED screen. Hell it wouldn't of even hurt them to attempt to give it a higher ppi score.

I agree the slim should be what it is now but with the OLED of the original & yes the vita 2000 does have improvements but there trivial when compared to the epic downgrade of the screen. Honestly people will buy what they want but i just don't get it, if the 2000 was $150 or something then yea it would make sense but it's the damn same price.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree the slim should be what it is now but with the OLED of the original & yes the vita 2000 does have improvements but there trivial when compared to the epic downgrade of the screen. Honestly people will buy what they want but i just don't get it, if the 2000 was $150 or something then yea it would make sense but it's the damn same price.

I'm guessing within a couple years we'll see a 3000 model with a 720p ips+ display

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
i still dont get it why are speakers positioned under youre fongers??! they should be free! like on PSP
If your thumbs are positioned right (more arced, rather than resting on the system), the sound actually bounces around more and comes across as louder/more full at lower volumes. I'm sure the way it all works is akin to how it works with TVs and the majority of them having back facing speakers these days.

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why can't the slim Vita have a user replaceable battery? That was one of the great features of the PSP. You could go out and spend 40 dollars or so and get a ten hour battery. For the same price as the original Vita all I would get, excluding the included memory card, is slightly better battery life and a bit lighter unit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Damn jack must've came loose outside over all the weather and a tech can't come out until the...