forkyfork

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There's some good 16-bit titles that I missed out on playing in the early years like Super Mario RPG, Lufia 2 (played a little bit of this - want to play it again), FF6/3, etc.

Generally, the games that I miss have "repackaged" versions in which they have updated graphics and new stuff. I prefer those to the original.

My question is - when a company is going to remake a game.. how soon do they announce it? I want to play Super Mario RPG, but that is long overdue for an upgrade, and I'd rather wait and play a better version of it if I can.

I got screwed when halfway through FF2 on the SNES, I found out about FF4 for the GBA!
hate2.gif

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The remake is not always better.

See: Tales of Phantasia (GBA), Final Fantasy IV Advance (GBA), The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past (GBA), Super Mario Advance 1, 2, 3 (GBA), etc! They all get their difficulty toned WAY down, and so many 'helpful' prompts throughout the game that you might as well have an IQ of 40 to be able to play right through them.

Stick to the classic version unless you have no way of playing it, in which case head to the bastardized cash-in remakes. Sometimes you do get a better game (Super Mario Advance 4, though the e-card idea killed the best part of the game for a lot of people who didn't/wouldn't/couldn't get the e-cards), but most of the time you get an easy, treat-you-like-an-idiot remake.

Companies are not obligated to make remakes - if you're interested in them, keep watching the news regularly to see if one is announced. There's no set schedule, etc.

Sc4rFac3d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lufia 2 has a remake? That game was awesome since it was my first real RPG that I bought from this second hand store, I played it to death!! I don't think there's a remake so you should definatly play it again!

forkyfork

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The remake is not always better.

See: Tales of Phantasia (GBA), Final Fantasy IV Advance (GBA), The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past (GBA), Super Mario Advance 1, 2, 3 (GBA), etc! They all get their difficulty toned WAY down, and so many 'helpful' prompts throughout the game that you might as well have an IQ of 40 to be able to play right through them.

Sometimes I like this easier setting, if it means less menial and annoying tasks. I didn't realize "A link to the past" was dumbed down. How so. I wouldn't mind playing Link's Awakening on an eaiser setting, that is very hard! What was wrong with Tales of Phantasia? And How was FF4 less difficult? If anything, since it's based on the original, isn't it harder?

Lufia 2 has a remake? That game was awesome since it was my first real RPG that I bought from this second hand store, I played it to death!! I don't think there's a remake so you should definatly play it again!

Er.. I don't know if it does. I know there are other Lufia games. I didn't know if these were sequels, updates, or what not.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea to the guy above on a couple he listed. I played the hell out of FF2(4) on SNES over the years since 91 doing 99% of everything (never bothered with the pink puff stupid rarity) and well I found my one pass through the GBA one to be notably more challenging and forcing me to sit around to level up to far higher needs than I did on my suicidally low EXP levels on the SNES cart (like finishing the game with under LV40 people.)

Also I too have no idea why Zelda was listed as easier. I can't recall really anything being modified in that game that would make it less of a challenge when I played it out that one time.

The Mario games I agree are semi-easier, but not due to prompts and all that, but because saving was added into them and far more often (depending on if you did the NES stuff or the SNES Allstars ones later.) Maybe I've just done Mario titles so much I didn't notice the difficulty slide.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: already did