Hacking Discussion WARNING: (Apparently) Tinfoil (formerly DZ) has a bricking bug. Be careful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakkal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@BATMAN- Yes!

When I start Tinfoil, I get a message that masterkey 6 is missing. In addition, I also get an error message during the installation "NCA signature verification failed" The installation I have tried with SX OS via USB with a memory stick at the docking station. FW 5.1.0 - tested game Dark Souls RM. Any Ideas?
By the way, the same installation under n1dus ran smoothly
obviously we dont have master key 6 as of yet

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Fake news from user errors. I did install 100GB NSPs yesterday and found no issue at all. Dz on the latest update 0.99.

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@BATMAN- Yes!

When I start Tinfoil, I get a message that masterkey 6 is missing. In addition, I also get an error message during the installation "NCA signature verification failed" The installation I have tried with SX OS via USB with a memory stick at the docking station. FW 5.1.0 - tested game Dark Souls RM. Any Ideas?
By the way, the same installation under n1dus ran smoothly

Tinfoil DZ will not install modified NSP's unless you enable "Install Unsigned Code" install option. This is because NSP's should not be modified, and modified NSP's could contain brick code.

Reactions: Muxi and thaikhoa

BATMAN-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yes that is really annoying the installer has had this issue since day 1 TX know about it and they have not fixed it their opinion is the sx installer installs correctly others don’t this is why it flags up on a check but I won’t use it because of this I don’t think it’s right. If an nsp fails an integrity check then I would say it’s wrong whether it works correctly or not! I don’t know of any other nsp installer that recreates this error apart from the sx installer.
Would you mind sharing what installer you are using in combination with sx os? Would be much appreciated :)

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Would you mind sharing what installer you are using in combination with sx os? Would be much appreciated :)
No problem I do use dopus & n1dus with my own homebrew nsp, it works much better than sx installer straight off the main switch menu and they both have a much better way of installing nsp, x to save to nand or sd card and deletes the nsp of the route after install. I will post both homebrew nsp’s up soon as I can here I just need to make a couple of changes and repack them I will do it just install one of either with sx installer first but don’t delete go back into your homebrew nsp you just installed and then reinstall both again fully. You can check the integrity of your nsp installs in system settings and they will all check out good.

Last edited by Reecey,
Reactions: BATMAN-

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Tinfoil DZ will not install modified NSP's unless you enable "Install Unsigned Code" install option. This is because NSP's should not be modified, and modified NSP's could contain brick code.

btw, do you know how to enable install unsigned nsps? I couldn't find out in option menu. Thanks.

xFlesk

Trophies
Website
thecompany.pl
XP
Country
Netherlands
life hack !!!
how to dont give a shit about bricking your system ?
USE EMUNAND ;)

its unbeliveble for me, that some people making experiments on NAND. you should always use emunand, when something happend you can just delete emunand and create a new one.
NAND stays then untouched
cheers

Last edited by xFlesk,
Reactions: thaikhoa

re.lax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just feel like it’s causing a lot of confusion, it doesn’t have any brick code or it doesn’t cause any bricking. As always use common sense but it works well and people should not be scared of it. I do feel this thread should be locked or the title changed to clarify.

Illuminaticy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How’s this thread still open? It doesn’t brick anything.
Someone brought brought the post back to life, no clue why lol. I made is 100% clear it was speculation, did the proper testing, and updated OP with proper information, on the same day.

Why would you not be able to erase issues, if you couldn't it would be full of scams and bs recruiters.
You weren't able to erase issues on GitHub for a loooooooong time, I was more surprised then angry, I 100% agree you should be able to delete issues, gets rid of all the BS and fake issues such as the one in this post.

Isn't it kinda obvious? The mods here are clearly bias and aren't really that bright.
If people can't read OP, and see this was a warning, even by just looking at the title, they have no business modding their damn switch.

BATMAN-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No problem I do use dopus & n1dus with my own homebrew nsp, it works much better than sx installer straight off the main switch menu and they both have a much better way of installing nsp, x to save to nand or sd card and deletes the nsp of the route after install. I will post both homebrew nsp’s up soon as I can here I just need to make a couple of changes and repack them I will do it just install one of either with sx installer first but don’t delete go back into your homebrew nsp you just installed and then reinstall both again fully. You can check the integrity of your nsp installs in system settings and they will all check out good.
That sounds really good - thank you so much for taking the time and responding to my question. Am I right that dopus and n1dus install nsps and automatically skip the firmware requirement? Also it is ok to use exFAT in combination with either dopus and n1dus, right?

Last edited by BATMAN-,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/4M3E1Lz6l9E?si=fSYNJxYTa0czXVow