Hacking WARNING: Buying legit Hori sreen protectors

flywithvicky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dang I bought mines off eBay from seller named game_bandit. then i tried to find instructions on applying the protector (just bought a ds and can't japanese = noob) and stumbled upon this page. went to play-asia and bought theirs. (eBay cost me 5 bucks total and was located in US, came in 2 days, but I now I know its better to be patient and spend that extra couple bucks >_

telephony

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
urbanmonkey from ebay sells fake hori screen protectors. the ones i got from him come prescratched. the pictures of the ones in his auction doesn't even look like the thing he sells. they look like this: http://dealextreme.com/productimages/sku_4086_1.jpg

the cloth that comes with it doesn't have anything etched into it, but the bag is resealable. the protectors have the yellow tabs with japanese writing, but also the english tabs.

wiithepeople

^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Seriously go to DEALEXTREME for DS accesories! They've got all sorts of stuff- even for cheaper than eBay cause of free ship.

I think the ebay sellers selling fake screen protector ordered from DX then resell on ebay...

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
I feel sorry for all of you, but this (and my little story below )is why I don't buy screen protectors.
happy.gif

I had one that came with a Gamestop travel kit for my GBA SP and a couple of days, after I had put it on, I had an air bubble right in the middle of the screen in the shape of Italy. Wish I took pictures. To get that thing off, (luckily I sew stuff) I had to wedge a sewing needle in between my gameboy's screen and the protector. i was thankful it didn't leave any sticky residue.

And ever since then, I've never wanted to deal with them. I've had my DS since launch and because it's only open when I'm using it, the screen does not get scratched and I can wipe away dust and fingerprints with a really soft tissue from the bathroom area. Or even Huggies Toilet Paper. It's gotta be soft though.

Nitepanic

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would like to make note that apart from the "official hori screen protectors" that are sold in Japan (which can be bought at lik-sang and play-asia), that hori of USA also released them in english http://www.hori.jp/us/products/ndsl/protec...lter/index.html

I bought them last week here in the Netherlands at "Media Markt". And they are exactly the same of course as the japanese version
tongue.gif
, but with english text then:.

So there are actually TWO real Hori Screen Protector packages out there. Dunno wether they sell it on ebay though .... but I just wanted to point this out
smile.gif

Yes, though I think the Japanese ones are actually higher quality. I've had japanese ones and I just bought these american ones about a weeks ago and then Japanese ones are higher quality, IMHO.

Switchy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Well, my "fake" ones from DealExtreme arrived but from what I've been reading here... they could be real ones!

Anyway, I threw them away on the same day after applying them.
It annoyed the heck out of me that the surface wasn't as smooth as the touchscreen!!!

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't know if this was posted, but a legit Hori screen protector for the DS Lite (USA) can be purchased at Target stores. I think it might be available at all of them. It was at mine. And it's only 10 bucks
smile.gif
Complete with the Nintendo seal and everything.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I feel sorry for all of you, but this (and my little story below )is why I don't buy screen protectors.Â
happy.gif

I had one that came with a Gamestop travel kit for my GBA SP and a couple of days, after I had put it on, I had an air bubble right in the middle of the screen in the shape of Italy. Wish I took pictures. To get that thing off, (luckily I sew stuff) I had to wedge a sewing needle in between my gameboy's screen and the protector. i was thankful it didn't leave any sticky residue.

And ever since then, I've never wanted to deal with them. I've had my DS since launch and because it's only open when I'm using it, the screen does not get scratched and I can wipe away dust and fingerprints with a really soft tissue from the bathroom area. Or even Huggies Toilet Paper. It's gotta be soft though.

do you ever play games that require heavy stylus use? or use the stylus at all? i never though GBA SP would ever need a screen protector and neither does the upper screen on the DS

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
could someone make some kind of youtube instructional video on how to apply these hori screen protecters cause i have absolytely no idea and the japanese instructions arent helping me at all, theres 3 little clear things stuck to each other and i have no idea if i use 1,2, or all of em...

MajinBuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I just purchased 3 packages of hori on dealxtreme.. at first I was a tad skeptical..but oh boy was I wrong, very nice prices and fast shipping and best of all its NOT a fake

They are imported from Hong Kong

Just make sure you use this link instead of the fake ones.. yes dealxtreme sells both.. fake and real..

Genuine Hori NDS Lite Screen Protector (Japan Imported)
$7.43

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5363

I noticed this thread is a bit old.. but I just wanted to share my experience

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
i bought some fake hori ones of deal extreme. the packaging is a very good imitation, but the protectors were in my opinion horrible. they didn't stick properly and had many bubbles (even under careful application).

i could have got a bad batch... but it seems unlikely.

Wightslayer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I told my friend to buy me some Hori Screen protectors from Malaysia. I was so excited when I got them that I ripped off my old (but still good) screen protectors and put on these hori ones...only to discover they are fake as anything
sleep.gif
;; For a start, there was like, a 1mm gap so it didn't even cover the whole screen, and then when I played EBA it scrateched sooo easily and bits of plastic came shredding off. The adhesive side didn't feel sticky... There were so many bubbles, and when I ran my stylus over it it felt really thick, like goo or something. Just for an example, if you ran a cloth over that screen protector, it felt like wiping it over honey. And I had chucked my old protector in the bin so it was unusable
hate2.gif
Luckily I kept the top one on and didn't put the fake one on the tope screen as well!
mad.gif
*sigh* So, I told my friend in Japan to get me some from there, hopefully they'll be real. Anyone know if fake Hori Screen Protectors in Japan exist? Otherwise I have to fork out $8 at EB games to buy new ones >=[ And I'm young so I don't have that sort of money! I hope my friend in Japan got me real ones.

MajinBuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I told my friend to buy me some Hori Screen protectors from Malaysia. I was so excited when I got them that I ripped off my old (but still good) screen protectors and put on these hori ones...only to discover they are fake as anything
sleep.gif
;; For a start, there was like, a 1mm gap so it didn't even cover the whole screen, and then when I played EBA it scrateched sooo easily and bits of plastic came shredding off. The adhesive side didn't feel sticky... There were so many bubbles, and when I ran my stylus over it it felt really thick, like goo or something. Just for an example, if you ran a cloth over that screen protector, it felt like wiping it over honey.  And I had chucked my old protector in the bin so it was unusable
hate2.gif
Luckily I kept the top one on and didn't put the fake one on the tope screen as well!
mad.gif
*sigh* So, I told my friend in Japan to get me some from there, hopefully they'll be real. Anyone know if fake Hori Screen Protectors in Japan exist? Otherwise I have to fork out $8 at EB games to buy new ones >=[ And I'm young so I don't have that sort of money! I hope my friend in Japan got me real ones.

um if you read further up in this thread.. you will see dealextreme sells LEGIT hori screen protectors at a good price - 7.43$.

QUOTE said:
For a start, there was like, a 1mm gap so it didn't even cover the whole screen

Just like a legit hori screen protector, there will always be 1mm gap, how else would it fit the screen?

QUOTE said:
The adhesive side didn't feel sticky

That's because there is NO adhesive on any HORI for the ds

There were so many bubbles

Welcome to the world of applying a screen protector...
yaynds.gif

Now i've seen fake hori screen protectors, and the only difference compared to the original... is the clothing/different instructions and it doesnt look as "clean" as the legit product, meaning the actual window/screen.

You can afford a ds and I assume (flash card) but not 8 bux to protect your screen?
wacko.gif

Wightslayer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Erm...parents don't allow me to buy stuff of the net.
And also, bubbles. This is not my first screen protector. I know you get a lot of bubbles. But the whole thing shouldn't have like, 10 massive bubbles it it. Seriosuly, it was like insane. The whole package was in japanese so I didn't understand it. The protectors had white english tags on them. The cloth was green with a print. Not to mention it came with a "soft card" so I knew it was fake :S So yeah I'm pretty sure it's fake.

Well...I didn't exactly buy the DS. My parents got it for me for Christmas. And the Flash Cart my sis bought for me and got a discount cos her friend is awesome. And (old) screen protectors came with case and what not which my sis also bought for me.
So yeah, I haven't really paid anything for my DS
tongue.gif
And I don't receive allowance or anything, either.

retiredjerk

Trophies
XP
Country
i've have used legit and fake hori screen protectors and there is no difference at all. The packaging might be slightly washed out but the actual screen protectors are the same. IF you cant get bubbles out then stick to non portable console devices. Thank god u dont have to put a screen protector on your TV. it would be just too too hard for you.

Wightslayer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i've have used legit and fake hori screen protectors and there is no difference at all. The packaging might be slightly washed out but the actual screen protectors are the same. IF you cant get bubbles out then stick to non portable console devices. Thank god u dont have to put a screen protector on your TV. it would be just too too hard for you.

There is definitely a difference. I used fake ones which scratch after one spinning thing on eba (not even pressing hard) and it left an half inch long scratch on my touch screen. And I also read an article that said if there are a tremendous amount of bubbles, then it's fake. And I even made my sis try and put it on for me (cos she's the screen protector queen and hers [non hori branded] has not even a bubble) and she couldn't even do it. Plastic shavings off the screen protector when you draw a circle? Does that sound normal?

Your "fake" ones might be good fakes. But mine aren't. So if you're going to generalise and say all fake hori ones are the same, I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Not fake screen protectors are the same. And you can't just say all of them are the same just cos you tried one batch of fake ones.

And if you say fake and real ones are the same, then I might as well not buy Hori ones, cos if they're the same as my fake ones as you so claim, then they suck.

You think it's hard for me putting screen protectors on? Well I think it was just too hard for you to get your facts straight.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76bIuU_g6A8