Was there ever going to be new generations of SATA after SATA III?

salazarcosplay

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or is there just no point or incentive to develop the technology further since NMVE M2 became a thing.

I can't help but think we could have had

Sata 4 (1,200 MB/S)
Sata 5 (2,400 MB/S)
Sata 6 (4,800 MB/S)
Sata 7 (9,600 MB/S)

Reactions: BigOnYa

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Or is there just no point or incentive to develop the technology further since NMVE M2 became a thing.

I can't help but think we could have had

Sata 4 (1,200 MB/S)
Sata 5 (2,400 MB/S)
Sata 6 (4,800 MB/S)
Sata 7 (9,600 MB/S)
SATA was designed for HDDs, and they cap out at around 300 MB/s anyway, so there was never much incentive to further develop the standard.
It was never an ideal standard for SSDs, regardless of speed.
SATA is a serial version of IDE, and that was designed with the specific data structure of HDDs in mind, SSDs are obviously completely different.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When GBATemp was new forum, IDE and Windows XP was around. I remember about need floppy disk for SATA driver when install Windows XP.

I got new PC in 2002 that is last one with IDE.

Reactions: console

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
I think no. Max out on SATA 3.

Hard drive companies are working on huge capacity of hard drives go up to 100 TB and over next few years.

I stay away from SMR and HAMR are not recommend due to slow performance cause problems. I always stick with CMR / PMR types for many years. CMR/PMR can go up to something like 24 TB max out.

After 24 TB and above start with SMR/HAMR types. I will never touch them with SMR/HAMR technology, just stay away from them.

I had 90 TB and will still counting around 240/250 TB then I will stop buy HDD once hit 240/250 TB should be enough. Great to buy HDD when it's on sale! Buy more HDD over SSD. SSD prices are rise and climb up right now. I hope SSD should match HDD cheap prices with same capacity in near future. SSD companies must follow up with HDD companies. B-)

I love this hard drive gif! Epic! :D

giphy.gif

Inside of Hard Drive

Last edited by console,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That sick boy yo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was hoping I could add a custom ROM to this fire HD 10 tablet but guess no one's made twrp available
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Root it? Lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    That shit is so locked down, tighter than a nun's ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know if that's even possible for the firmware
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can remove the bloat ware and ads easily but can't install a rom
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig...