Hacking WD External Hard Drive ISO Loading Help

Anthocyanin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have already softmodded my Wii, and I've put some Wii ISOs on a WD External Hard Drive. However, when I try to load the ISOs through Configurable USB Loader (It seems like the only one that works for me), it shows:

[*] Booting Wii Game, please wait...

IOS(249)
IOS Reload: Blocked

Then the Wii freezes. The game works fine on a SanDisk Cruzer 4GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive, but not on the external hard drive. On the external hard drive, I have two partitions on my external hard drive, an NTFS partition where I put personal file in, and a WBFS partition for Wii ISOs. What should I do? I'm willing to do anything that doesn't include opening the Wii's case.

Ryoku83

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Disasterous said:
Try copying a game to the ntfs partition. Wbfs is old and at this point useless. I'm pretty sure the Wbfs partition would need to be primary but still try copying the iso to a folder named Wbfs on the partition. I guarantee it loads assuming that you have a version of Cios that allows ntfs. Main thing though is forget Wbfs. It's old and easily corrupted like a 16yr old Christian.

Edit: I use a wd my passport drive ntfs formatted to load all my games.
As Disasterous said wbfs is pretty much obsolete now. If you insist on using 2 partitions go with a smaller fat32 partition for homebrew apps and a ntfs partition for your games. Otherwise you can go with just 1 partition either fat32 or ntfs with no problems. I've never used multi partitions so I'm not positive on this but I believe you may need to set the partition with the games to primary and active. I know one of the partitions needs to be set to that but I forget which one

djc151084

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.navitotal.com
XP
Country
I have a 320GB WD Harddrive, this is how i gotg my set up

I have it partitiond to 2 partitions 1 x 10GB (FAT32) (Set as Primary and Active) , 1 x 280GB (NTFS), All of my games are in .wbfs format and transferd from the origional .ISO with "WiiBackupManager" to my 280GB NTFS partition.
The 10GB FAT32 partition is just there really because i was installing sneek+DI and fat32 was needed to use that.
I use CFG Usb Loader and all runs perfectly

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.Iso files will load from either an NTFS or FAT32 partition regardless of size. I personally have no use for an NTFS partition on my softmodded Wii's ext. hdd. as I have no un-.wbfs files over 4GB.

IMHO, an hdd with only a FAT32 formatted partition is the way to go.

If you're having problems formatting a large ext hdd to FAT32, you can either use a 3rd party software to do so or download a copy of PuppyLinux onto a CD-rom and use GParted.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PsyBlade said:
mechadylan said:
.Iso files will load from ... FAT32 partition regardless of size.
nope fat32 has a max file size of ~4GiB
use .wbfs files instead
Yes, there is a max file size of 4GB on a FAT32 formatted storage device. However, a 4+ GB .iso WILL play on a FAT32 ext hdd. Perhaps I should have been more detailed in my response.

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
mechadylan said:
PsyBlade said:
mechadylan said:
.Iso files will load from ... FAT32 partition regardless of size.
nope fat32 has a max file size of ~4GiB
use .wbfs files instead
Yes, there is a max file size of 4GB on a FAT32 formatted storage device. However, a 4+ GB .iso WILL play on a FAT32 ext hdd. Perhaps I should have been more detailed in my response.
You mean you have a single 4+ GB .iso file stored on a FAT32 formatted drive? How? Surely you are needing more details here...

AFAIK, ISO game images can be compressed but not split. WBFS game images are scrubbed (can be non-scrubbed but no one does this) and can be split... FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit, period, no matter what the file is, WBFS, ISO, whatev...

-[]D

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PPSainity said:
You mean you have a single 4+ GB .iso file stored on a FAT32 formatted drive? How?....
-[]D

No. Of course not. That's impossible. I recently converted some .isos from a WBFS hdd to a FAT32 hdd as .wbfss. I know for a fact that SSMB is over 4GB in size and works on my FAT32 hdd, but quite frankly was never curious until just now as to how it appears in the FAT32 hdd (split, compressed, etc.)

I'll check it out when I get home. Although I'm sure someone here knows and will reply well before that happens.
smile.gif

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.wbfs games >4GB (like SSBB, MPT, M:OM, etc.) are split into two pieces: ID6.wbfs (size=4GB) and ID6.wbf1 (size=whatever is left). the .iso -> .wbfs conversion (and split if necessary) is done automatically by Wii Backup Manager....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: