Weird New 2DS XL issue

Ecthelion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A year or two ago I bought a used New 2DS XL to keep as a spare 2DS/3DS family system. I put CFW on it, powered it down, and stuck it on a shelf. Recently I had some issues with my main New 3DS XL system; the R button is wearing out so I was thinking about transferring to this spare New 2DS XL. I powered it up and when I get to the home menu, no buttons work. I can pull up the Luma3DS menu with the default key combination, so obviously the buttons themselves work, it's more like the OS is just not accepting input.

I have Luma3DS v11.0 (I think I upgraded this when I was trying to fix this issue) and GodMode9 v2.1.1. Buttons work fine in both of those. I don't know how to check my firmware version without being able to launch the System Settings app.

Any ideas for further troubleshooting or fixing this? I searched online but couldn't find anything similar.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Permanent "ghost" input on the touch panel causes this. Classic Nintendo error handling: Don't tell the user anything and just behave like mad!
(ZL) and (ZR) buttons might still work, sometimes starting a game with (A) is possible.

Try with light to medium pressure pressing various point on the touch panel to see if any input is detected.
Then
In that order (from easy to harder):
  • Clean touch panel
  • Clean edges and corners. Make sure no dirt particles are between frame and panel.
    • :!: Never use metal or other hard pointed tools to remove dirt. This will break the digitizer :!:
  • Remove screen protecting foil (in any)
  • Disconnect touch panel from motherboard until a replacement arrives
After the last step the issue should be gone – if not I'm out of ideas.

Note that opening N2DSXL isn't trivial – easy to break off the internal slider for volume (guess why I know).

Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: Ecthelion

Ecthelion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I feel stupid. Removing the plastic screen protector from the touch panel fixed the issue.

I had some bad experiences with my 3DS screens getting scratched, so I always put screen protectors on. This is the first time I've seen a problem. I guess I'll leave the touch screen "naked" for now. :)

Thanks for the tip, @KleinesSinchen

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I feel stupid. Removing the plastic screen protector from the touch panel fixed the issue.

I had some bad experiences with my 3DS screens getting scratched, so I always put screen protectors on. This is the first time I've seen a problem. I guess I'll leave the touch screen "naked" for now. :)

Thanks for the tip, @KleinesSinchen

Some screen protector would cause problem with like touch screen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste