What are you afraid of?

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I think of this topic is more of a "rational fears" one this time, right?

Anyhow, the only thing I'm really afraid of is to lose a member of my family.
Been through this, it hurts so bad...

I'm also afraid to get into a relationship and that it fades away too quickly (which happened last time) hurts quit a bit aswell.

Joujoudoll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Actually, I am afraid of losing family members too... My sister has a brain tumour and she has 1 - 4 seizures a day, and it's very possible for someone to die when having a seizure. It's really hard to deal with her health issues now, and if she dies, my heart will be permanently broken.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am afraid of spiders and bugs with more than 6 legs (the more legs the creepier...except millipedes which seem to be pretty harmless). It's not even very irrational as my house is sort of a bug den. We've got infestations of spiders, centipedes, and rolypolys (which I kinda like). They crawl all over the place and get on you and bite you. Ants are fine by themselves, but they get freaky with their large numbers. The large carpenter ants sting pretty sharply as well. In my defense, my family is going through a very tough time in these economic woes. We've no money to get our house bug proof or sprayed.

I guess you could add another rational fear to my list: Our roof has been torn to pieces and every room in the house except mine has had the ceiling fall in. I'm afraid that my room will be next and it'll hurt. Yes, I'm pathetic. No, I don't need any poor boy jokes.

My other great fear is sort of broad and weird. It's called agoraphobia and it's a fear of open spaces (the opposite of claustrophobia). I fear heights because below me seems so wide and vast. I also don't like to participate in any sort of social activity (except the internet) out of a fear of social embarrassment. If I look at the sky too long or across a wide plain, it makes me dizzy and nauseous. It's not too extreme, but it's something I'd rather not have.

Strangely, I don't even fear death much. What I fear is the means by which we die (the pain). I've developed a theory for proving that an afterlife exists. It's technical and spawned from my chemistry class (brace yourself):

The Law of Conservation of Matter: "Matter can never be destroyed, only transformed."
The same law is applied to energy.

Using this, I reasoned that whatever our consciousness is, it will be preserved or kept in some form or another. It's a scientific way to look at an afterlife and helps me to not live in fear of death. I don't even need to be affiliated with a religion to say this.

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry for being a lazyass and not going to check it myself
but whats the difference between an irrational and rational fear?

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
House fires. Or any uncontrolled fire that burns something down. I was terrified of fire as a kid, think it started when I saw bits of a cafe burning down on Neighbours. I know it sounds daft but I was only little.

Irrational fear would be where you're scared of something but don't really have any reason to be. Like being scared of spiders in countries where they're non-poisonous and tiny. (and yeah, I'm scared of the non poisonous and tiny spiders with their creepy bendy legs, urk!). So a rational fear would be something you can explain, or something dangerous that it really is worth being afraid of. I think.

Venko

Trophies
XP
Country
I used to have a lot of phobias. That's not the case anymore as I've taken the time to conquer them.

For instance, I was scared of needles so I became a regular blood donor.

However I still have one fear left and, before you react, I'm being serious. I'm scared of braces. Not entirely sure why but I believe it has something to do with making out with girls who have them based on some crush when I was a lot younger.

Hey, at least I'm not scared of silly things like spiders or sky diving like the rest of you
wink.gif

beedog19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Venko said:
I used to have a lot of phobias. That's not the case anymore as I've taken the time to conquer them.

For instance, I was scared of needles so I became a regular blood donor.

However I still have one fear left and, before you react, I'm being serious. I'm scared of braces. Not entirely sure why but I believe it has something to do with making out with girls who have them based on some crush when I was a lot younger.

Hey, at least I'm not scared of silly things like spiders or sky diving like the rest of you
wink.gif

Braces
frown.gif
looks like we're not making out anytime soon, which I guess is cool since I'm a guy
unsure.gif

My fears are limited to needles and bees, they both scare the crap out of me. Pretty much anything else I can deal with but those two I have an increadibly low tolerance for.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm afraid of changes.
I hate trying new things and I hate for things to be different.
I like for everything to be where it is and stay that way, and I'm content.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'm actually afraid of two things only:
First would be losing somone very dear to me..Having to see your love ones placed in dirt and buried must have been most terrifying thing ever..
And second would be if they buried me alive..I'm very afraid of doctors making a bad judgement, and thinking that I died, but I'm still alive, and waking up in the coffin under few feet of dirt buried alive.......fuck....now I have that fucked up feeling again...I hate thinking about it...

Curley5959

CCC Member!
Trophies
Website
www.holidaygamerz.zoomshare.com
XP
Country
Prime said:
Not much (not trying to be big headed)

I guess like other members, I'm afraid of someone close to me dying.

Im afraid also of someone close to me dying, like Grandparents or even my pets for example, especially my 13 year old dog.. I know hes gonna go soon and i get sad and upset any time i hink about it
cry.gif

Im afraid of true love, and then falling apart after 2 or 3 years.. It would kill me...
frown.gif

cherryduck

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have two major fears, needles and conflict. My fear of needles has a reason, when I was 5 I was climbing a fence and I fell off into a huge roll of barbed wire, which pierced me all over my body. Then when I went to get a tetanus shot, the lady who gave me it was a big butch lady who forced the needle into my arm roughly and broke it off in my arm. Now anytime I need an injection I panic, and when the needle goes in I tense up so it hurts even more.

As for conflict, I've had A LOT of problems growing up with bullies and it took me a long time to get over it and come out of myself (not in a gay way
laugh.gif
). Anyway, I work at the local newsagents so it didn't take me long to overcome my social awkwardness as I'm ALWAYS working on the till, so you HAVE to talk to people, so now I'm a dead friendly guy and I'm very relaxed talking to people. However, if anyone starts a conflict of any kind, such as giving me an evil, arguing in a nasty way over a particular point, or insulting me and trying to "own" me, all that confidence goes out the window. Probably because of all the bullying I received earlier in life, I just cannot deal with conflict.

muckers

Trophies
XP
Country
Don't have many fears, though the main ones are:

Wasps
Heights where I don't feel safe (ie. outside)
BIG spiders
Snakes

That's about it, really. most things don't bother me; not even death. If anything i'm intruiged to see what happens at the end!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: +1