• Cryptocurrency Warning:
    The risks of trading cryptocurrencies are mainly related to its volatility. They are high-risk and speculative and it is important that you understand the risks before you start trading. They are volatile: unexpected changes in market sentiment can lead to sharp and sudden moves in price.
    Please be aware that any information provided here can be the opinion of the author. Trade at your own risk.

What are you investing in?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I prefer to invest in myself. Imho the best way to make more money is to increase the level of my own knowledge.
While I most certainly have no objection to the general principle ("more skills, more better" and "he who dies with the most tools wins" being guiding principles in life) I do have to say from a mathematical perspective your statement can be questionable.

Top tier skills working for the man (we will assume it is possible for the would be individual for this scenario, not everybody can learn such things and it might even be bad to try*) has a fairly solid cap in the real world (tech salaries being a massive outlier, as are a lot of financial things, collecting masters degrees and phds like pokemon cards is also not going to do much beyond maybe the second**). Might be a cool 100K USD which a nice enough life, especially with a baseline of minimalism, and rising a bit towards the end of your career for a few years if you head into manglement or become indispensable.
Assuming you keep the excess in a savings account (the money market stuff popular at the moment is a fad) vs what you would get even in a baseline index fund or other normal diversified portfolio, possibly while keeping the lesser job and paying less in.
Start heading into self employment and more active investments and it skews further still.

*see the massive gulf between smart lawyers and those that went to a bad school and squeaked past the bar exam in a lesser region. The latter could have probably done quite well in something less intense but no is going to struggle even without the debts of law school.

**there are some professional qualifications that might, some of the really high end IT stuff I saw being that, though there is also the question of whether it is that or that you had the skills to begin with.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(tech salaries being a massive outlier, as are a lot of financial things, collecting masters degrees and phds like pokemon cards is also not going to do much beyond maybe the second**).
Nah man, the new paradigm is 'learn to road' not 'learn to code'. See those UPS truck drivers making 170k? (Mostly joking...)

Completely agree with everything. I got this financial advice early in life and the best thing you can do for yourself is start investing early into really boring things, and let math/compounding do its thing.

As a side note I'm sad to see the temp now has a crypto board... At least it doesn't seem fairly active and probably acts as a containment area.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did see several mechanics fairly far down the path (book time type deal rather than straight salary but most would be in the high 70s to worrying 100K USD per year) turn driver for such things or even more local affairs.

Long haul truck driver in the US is a hard thing but does seem lucrative, at least until self driving cars take the highway aspect from them and they end up local/last mile sort of thing. Back on tech the FANG thing also seems to have taken a hit on at least the F and N aspects (Facebook and Netflix for the unaware).

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not kidding. I am now an investor in

PH.JPG
And Proud of it :D

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Walmart is an 60 mile round trip for me, and yes, I still spend less even after the gas cost. :) I dont go there just for milk. I do 2 big hauls a month, fill the cart up.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gay Ride™ at a Walmart near you
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lol GBAtemp mentioned in the latest Bringus Studios video
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    never heard of that developer
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, was my anti hate trolling shitbox messages recorded
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O Holy Cow 60 Miles !
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    why people use miles
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At 60 miles I'd just use instacart
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @NinStar, cause 8 miles and runnin
    LOL! I'd lmao if they put a gay ride in the little arcade section they have in this walmart. It could be like the horses rides you put quarters in, except it would be like the ambiguously gay duo cartoon & you sit on top of the other guy thats in a "flying" position. LMAO!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm pretty sure parents would have an issue with gay rides
    +1
    There is zero instacart delivery to here. No door dash. No Uber. Notta. Its a small farming community
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    eagerly awaiting 4x 8TB HDDs to get delivered today
    So I drive the 30 miles there, spend $100-$150 on groceries, and drive back home. Still saved $$$ after gas over shopping locally.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You'd think you could make deals with local farmers
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I could make a killing there doing instcart there :D @RedColoredStars
    It makes the trip even more worth it if I'm out of my medication and need to stop by the medical dispensary. I try to line the two up to avoid extra trips.
    +1
    @AncientBoi, Except the town is pretty MAGA infested. People still flying TRUMP 2016 flags all over. They didnt get the memo the year changed since then. lol.
    +1
    They passed a city ordinance last month. No smoking cannabis in public. Not even eating gummies. $300 fine and misdemeanor charge if caught. People can walk down the street smoking cigs and tossing the butts all over, but God forbit someone take a couple puffs of their medication.
    +1
    First off, it's recreationally legal here. Secondly, I have a prescription from my doctor and approved by the state. But still a fucking criminal.
    +1
    Like at bars. Cant sit outside even in the smoking section and take a few puffs. Yet I have to breath the cig smoke from 20 people chain smoking all night in every direction around me.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly I feel like Trump is going to crush Biden just because of the trial
    They cite
    public health and safety concerns" LMAO!!! Yet they do nothing about the poison drinking water quality.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The look at how they treated me card is powerful within dumb voters
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The look at how they treated me card is powerful within dumb voters