Hacking Question what cable can I use?

jimmyj

Official founder of altariaism. Copyright jimmyj
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
so my friend said he wanted his pro controller cable back and so right now I don't have a way to access rcm payloads,can anyone post a link of what cables should be fine for rcm ? As I don't really want to shell out 50£ for a pro controller just for the cable.

D

Deleted User

Apparently, any USB type-C cable is good to go, but also be wary of a missing resistor on really old or cheap third party cables?

coolsimon282

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A bull resistor?
Isn't the resistor standard and supposedly coming in any USB-C cable, and the contrary just the rare exception?
By "bull" I'm assuming he meant "bullshit" haha.

Any standard USB-C cable should be fine.

I think most of the confusion comes from trying to send payloads from a device that doesn't support sending them, rather than the cable being at fault.

The_Green_Nerd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Be aware that you don't use your cheap cable to (high)power you Switch. It can brick your Switch, melt the cable and of course it gives your Switch less power.

Last edited by The_Green_Nerd,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Be aware that you don't use your cheap cable to (high)power you Switch. It can brick your Wii, melt the cable and of course it gives your Switch less power.
Erm... then a cheap cable... melts the Switch turning it into a bricked Wii, that has less power?
Did I get it right? /s

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was the 56k ohm resistor that was originally believed to be the cause of Switches bricking due to third party docks. It was debunked though, had something to do with Switch being designed not to follow traditional USB manufacturing or something like that.

TheKerplunk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I think if you are going to use to strictly to transfer data, any generic cable will do the job.
But if you are going to charge your Switch with the cable, then it's another story.

D

Deleted User

I think if you are going to use to strictly to transfer data, any generic cable will do the job.
But if you are going to charge your Switch with the cable, then it's another story.
Ahhhhh THAT explains it clearly. Thank you! The problem was charging cables vs data cables. Ok, got it, thank you!

jimmyj

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It was the 56k ohm resistor that was originally believed to be the cause of Switches bricking due to third party docks. It was debunked though, had something to do with Switch being designed not to follow traditional USB manufacturing or something like that.

Link to a good cable then?

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, the cable recommendation is from Nintendo it self which goes with how they designed the Switch...

The dock bricking has nothing to do with the cable as most use the original Nintendo charger with them so its something with the dock (what some engineers claimed is there is probably voltage drops pushing the Switch a lot more or some crap like that, so voltage spikes)...

About Nintendo not following USB-C Specs, NO ONE DOES, there's a lot more devices out there using USB-C 15V too like laptops. Almost no manufacturer ever follow the USB specs so that's why you have brand X quick charge, brand Y quick charge (most are incompatible with other brands QC technologies) and quite a lot more amps going trough them than it was ever designed, specially USB 2.0 smartphones which was mostly common up to 0.5A and we see 2.1A and higher...

ps: But for data only and connected to like a PC USB2.0 0.5A port any USB-C cable will probably always work fine, now to charge at 15V or just high amps even at 5V, I would only use a certified USB-C cable my self (doesn't mean it has to be the expensive ones but rather certified).

Last edited by guily6669,
Reactions: jimmyj

jimmyj

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, the cable recommendation is from Nintendo it self which goes with how they designed the Switch...

The dock bricking has nothing to do with the cable as most use the original Nintendo charger with them so its something with the dock (what some engineers claimed is there is probably voltage drops pushing the Switch a lot more or some crap like that, so voltage spikes)...

About Nintendo not following USB-C Specs, NO ONE DOES, there's a lot more devices out there using USB-C 15V too like laptops. Almost no manufacturer ever follow the USB specs so that's why you have brand X quick charge, brand Y quick charge (most are incompatible with other brands QC technologies) and quite a lot more amps going trough them than it was ever designed, specially USB 2.0 smartphones which was mostly common up to 0.5A and we see 2.1A and higher...

ps: But for data only and connected to like a PC USB2.0 0.5A port any USB-C cable will probably always work fine, now to charge at 15V or just high amps even at 5V, I would only use a certified USB-C cable my self (doesn't mean it has to be the expensive ones but rather certified).
I don't trust myself, link to good one ? :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    denpafan @ denpafan: swag