Hacking What is gateway? And what was it meant for)

gamemasteru03

Nintendo nerd
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: zoogie

gamemasteru03

Nintendo nerd
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm kind of understand why they did that. Just, it's totally wrong move.
Yeah I had never heard of the brickway thing it is just harsh but then again they hated those duplicates. I still don't get why some people use it when it is outdated and can brick you due to outdated tech if your using a9lh. It also sounds like they did some dirty stuff behind the scenes.

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Yeah I had never heard of the brickway thing it is just harsh but then again they hated those duplicates. I still don't get why some people use it when it is outdated and can brick you due to outdated tech if your using a9lh. It also sounds like they did some dirty stuff behind the scenes.
Somebody think about the money they paid for this. Somebody want a cheat.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Getting back to what the OP is asking...

Gateway seems irrelevent now because we have free and open source CFW and public exploits. Two years ago however, the public scene was almost entirely reliant on the Gateway flashcart. It essentially served the purpose that current CFWs now serve, albeit for price (and less features than what we now take for granted).

They're pretty irrelevent now, of course. I still have mine from back in 'the day' but I've long-since switched to Luma and only boot up the Gateway when I need to load files on the card (it's nice to have two SD cards).

andre104623

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Say what you guys want. I still to this day use gateway for 3 reasons 1. I can have 2 micro SD cards full of games at the same time 2. Cheats work great 3. I can have the best of both worlds a9hl and gateway mode. So everyone can talk shit if they want but gateway was the first and always have a place in my cartridge slot

McWhiters9511

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Say what you guys want. I still to this day use gateway for 3 reasons 1. I can have 2 micro SD cards full of games at the same time 2. Cheats work great 3. I can have the best of both worlds a9hl and gateway mode. So everyone can talk shit if they want but gateway was the first and always have a place in my cartridge slot
i completely agree with you. no matter how much shit gateway gets, most of the time from people who never had one, im still going to use and live mine.

yoshinatsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Gateway uses really old encryption for their save files though.
For some of my games (like Bravely Default), I had to start over from scratch because I couldn't convert them from Gateway's archaic format to the one CIA files use.

Last edited by yoshinatsu,
Reactions: Hyoretsu

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some of my games (like Bravely Default), I had to start over from scratch because I couldn't convert them from Gateway's archaic format to the one CIA files use.
You mean Card1 and Card2..? Card2 saves to the cartridge, Card1 saves to the SD. AFAIK those are the only types of save formats.

yoshinatsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
You mean Card1 and Card2..? Card2 saves to the cartridge, Card1 saves to the SD. AFAIK those are the only types of save formats.
Yeah, Card2 saves were stored inside the the .3DS/.3DZ files and were easy to extract with SaveDataFiler.
Card1 saves had a different workaround which worked for most games I tried, but not all of them. If I recall correctly, there were 7 games in total that I couldn't extract.
So if you're still using Gateway, keep in mind that some of your precious save files might not be future-proof.
I know the multi-ROM menu is a big convenience, but at this point, it's just better (and much safer) to use CIA.

Last edited by yoshinatsu,

doughmay

Huh. Time went by fast.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had no idea that gateway used an old save file encryption. I bet it's very hard to convert the save file to modern via save.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, Card2 saves were stored inside the the .3DS/.3DZ files and were easy to extract with SaveDataFiler.
Card1 saves had a different workaround which worked for most games I tried, but not all of them. If I recall correctly, there were 7 games in total that I couldn't extract.
So if you're still using Gateway, keep in mind that some of your precious save files might not be future-proof.
I know the multi-ROM menu is a big convenience, but at this point, it's just better (and much safer) to use CIA.
Don't quote me on this but I feel the issue lies in SaveDataFiler being a tad outdated. I just have a gut feeling that JKSV would work, since it's what's become the standard for today.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
No no there were a couple. Maybe about 3? Gateway offered to fix these people's 3DSes, since they would encrypt your NAND making it unable to restore without a Raspberry Pi. I remember one person who sent his 3DS in and apparently it got 'lost in shipping' lmao. One dropped out of the scene and moved on with their lives. The last one was @gamesquest1 I believe who just fixed his 3DS himself and turned down Gateway's offer. He actually caught one of these bricks on camera
I think What he meant the users with cards like dstwo plus who used the gw launcher deserve to get their devices bricked.
Not the actual legit gw card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: YUH