PS1/2 what is the highest voltage a ps2 slim 7000 take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My power supply makes odd ticking and buzzing sound and the off brand replacment isn't very good can i just use a normal power supply

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Dude stop being so lazy I literally just jumped on uk eBay searched ps2 slim power supply and there is an official one right at the top
As much as this reply might come out as rude, there's literally only 2 searches separating OP from buying a power supply...

Reactions: Nomado and yusuo

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
most of them are fake or used i have a fake one with a dumb connector and my official one sounds like its about to explode i just want to know the highest voltage so i can use a normal power supply

Anunnymous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The slim uses a DC power brick. "You should use a proper one made for the console" is probably good advice but ANY power brick within 10% voltage of the original will work just fine as long as the amps are high enough. Just get any adapter that's 8.5v with at least 5.6 amps. Amperage can be higher but not lower, the console will only draw what it needs. Then, you have to make sure the polarity is correct. The Slim is center positive. I don't care what other people say, as long as the specs are within tolerance, a "fake" adapter is just fine. It doesn't matter that you're in the UK, DC power is the same worldwide. You might just need a cheap ass adapter to plug into your mains. Most AC > DC power bricks are dual voltage, just read labels.

Edit: That link that was sent to you will work just fine even though you're in the UK. Use your UK cord and plug into that adapter would be just fine. Like I said, the adapters are dual voltage.

Last edited by Anunnymous,

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
First off ampere is as important as voltage. You just can't use the same voltage and more amps. Everything will burn out due to that and not enough amps if it turns on will cause glitching, artifacts and so forth

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Here are some overall corrections:

ANY adapter withing -5% ~ 10% Volts will work, provided that the Amperes are between -3% ~ 5%. Amperes can fry the system easily if you go far above that, more easily than Volts. Sure Volts go at max capacity all the time, but high amperes will fry the thing. It's not like computers where the PSU comes with regulators, it's only with regulators that only the necessary amount will be drawn rather than the 100%. The PS2 doesn't prevent against power surges and the like for the exact reason it's missing the regulators. The Fat mode had two regulatory circuit that were removed to make the Slim, well, slim! The values I recommended btw are not the only ones that will work, they are the ones that will work WITHOUT shortening the console lifespan. Finally, many laptop adapters, especially the kind you can change the plug kind to fit different devices, happen to be at around those values, so if you got one lying around, check the specs!

Or just buy a new adapter from the many links posted already!:P

Reactions: kumikochan

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off ampere is as important as voltage. You just can't use the same voltage and more amps. Everything will burn out due to that and not enough amps if it turns on will cause glitching, artifacts and so forth
Assuming the vita is functional, not actually true.
Devices only draw as many amps as they need, the amperage rating is maximum.
@OP It's printed right there on the old power supply, and on the Vita somewhere

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Assuming the vita is functional, not actually true.
Devices only draw as many amps as they need, the amperage rating is maximum.
@OP It's printed right there on the old power supply, and on the Vita somewhere
I fix a lot of machines and i've seen a lot of burned parts because of overcurrent so it does. 1 or 2 amps doesn't make a difference but it you're putting 6 amps more through it your internal power supply starts to heat up wich causes the machine to heat up wich causes parts to burn out.

Reactions: ThoD

zlaco123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Why the heck i have a cable without brick for my ps2? I bought it used for cheap with eyetoy camera and just noticed it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: yeehaw