PS1/2 what is the highest voltage a ps2 slim 7000 take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The slim uses a DC power brick. "You should use a proper one made for the console" is probably good advice but ANY power brick within 10% voltage of the original will work just fine as long as the amps are high enough. Just get any adapter that's 8.5v with at least 5.6 amps. Amperage can be higher but not lower, the console will only draw what it needs. Then, you have to make sure the polarity is correct. The Slim is center positive. I don't care what other people say, as long as the specs are within tolerance, a "fake" adapter is just fine. It doesn't matter that you're in the UK, DC power is the same worldwide. You might just need a cheap ass adapter to plug into your mains. Most AC > DC power bricks are dual voltage, just read labels.

Edit: That link that was sent to you will work just fine even though you're in the UK. Use your UK cord and plug into that adapter would be just fine. Like I said, the adapters are dual voltage.
Well thank you for actually answering the question now i can play ps2 games with out it turning off every 3 seconds

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Why the heck i have a cable without brick for my ps2? I bought it used for cheap with eyetoy camera and just noticed it
The latter half of the Slim 9000 series have the converter inside the console since Sony used different parts, making the circuit much smaller. Most PS2s that were sold after the PS3 was released are like that, but there have been some models before it that also had it inside the unit.

Anunnymous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off ampere is as important as voltage. You just can't use the same voltage and more amps. Everything will burn out due to that and not enough amps if it turns on will cause glitching, artifacts and so forth

This is 100% not true. The console draws the amps. It will only draw what it needs. If there isn't enough there, it will burn something up. If there are too much it only takes what it needs. Don't give "facts" about something when you're not sure.

Edit: Those saying that too much amps frys components, this is true BUT the only reason it would draw too many amps is if something is wrong with the component. (in this case the PS2). There needs to be a load to draw amps, the adapter doesn't just pump out amps, that is not how it works. Quit giving bad information, if you don't know how electricity works then don't chime in on the subject.

Last edited by Anunnymous,

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
This is 100% not true. The console draws the amps. It will only draw what it needs. If there isn't enough there, it will burn something up. If there are too much it only takes what it needs. Don't give "facts" about something when you're not sure.

Edit: Those saying that too much amps frys components, this is true BUT the only reason it would draw too many amps is if something is wrong with the component. (in this case the PS2). There needs to be a load to draw amps, the adapter doesn't just pump out amps, that is not how it works. Quit giving bad information, if you don't know how electricity works then don't chime in on the subject.
I actually have a diploma in electronics so eum what ? The psu overheats with 2 many amps and because of heat it causes other parts to fry. I'll give you a basic lesson. So if you have a small copper wire wich can only handle a small amount of amps but then you push more amps through it then it can handle wich causes the copper wire to gain more heat wich causes other parts to gain more heat and you know what that does ? It fucking starts frying other parts wich don't take all those amps in but because of all that extra heat build up of the part that does you get a fucking heatwave because the PSU is fucking internal. Get it ? You go do that push more amps through your electronics. Lets see how long that will last you ;)

Last edited by kumikochan,
Reactions: ThoD

Anunnymous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually have a diploma in electronics so eum what ? The psu overheats with 2 many amps and because of heat it causes other parts to fry. I'll give you a basic lesson. So if you have a small copper wire wich can only handle a small amount of amps but then you push more amps through it then it can handle wich causes the copper wire to gain more heat wich causes other parts to gain more heat and you know what that does ? It fucking starts frying other parts wich don't take all those amps in but because of all that extra heat build up of the part that does you get a fucking heatwave because the PSU is fucking internal. Get it ? You go do that push more amps through your electronics. Lets see how long that will last you ;)

Rephrase that, you read a book on electronics and didn't grasp the concept. I'm an electrical engineer. If I really need to dig up some literature on the basics of electronics for you, I will. Yes, if you run too many amps through a conductor that can't support it, you're going to fry shit. But the PS2 is the load for the DC adapter, it will only ask for as many fucking amps as it needs.

If there aren't enough amps then it will draw the max while still asking for more, overheating the adapter (or just plain not working). However, if the adapter can provide (it doesn't fucking matter here) a million amps, the PS2 asks for 5.6 amps, that's all the fucking adapter is going to give it. Why? Because the adapter doesn't continuously pump amps through it, it only pumps voltage, the load controls the amps.

If you need more of a lesson please PM me and quit making yourself look stupid.

Edit: Electronics Lesson for you about Voltage and Amperage in adapters.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Rephrase that, you read a book on electronics and didn't grasp the concept. I'm an electrical engineer. If I really need to dig up some literature on the basics of electronics for you, I will. Yes, if you run too many amps through a conductor that can't support it, you're going to fry shit. But the PS2 is the load for the DC adapter, it will only ask for as many fucking amps as it needs.

If there aren't enough amps then it will draw the max while still asking for more, overheating the adapter (or just plain not working). However, if the adapter can provide (it doesn't fucking matter here) a million amps, the PS2 asks for 5.6 amps, that's all the fucking adapter is going to give it. Why? Because the adapter doesn't continuously pump amps through it, it only pumps voltage, the load controls the amps.

If you need more of a lesson please PM me and quit making yourself look stupid.

Edit: Electronics Lesson for you about Voltage and Amperage in adapters.
Ok you go push those amps through it. we'll see how long your shit will last.

Last edited by kumikochan,

Anunnymous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok you go push those amps through it. we'll see how long your shit will last. You don't now shit about electricity. i'll explain it in shitty grade school terms for you. You have a hole and it can only let an amount of water run through at a certain speed but if the speed increases the amount increases. If the amount increases the speed doesn't increase. you know what i'm getting at

What you're saying is semi-correct but I think we're talking about 2 different things. If you try to put 100 amps through a conductor that's rated for 10, yes you're going to fry something. But The PS2 is built to handle 5.6 amps and if your adapter is rated at, at least, 5.6 amps then you're good. But it can be rated at more. As many as you want. To put it more clearly, AC works the same way. Your breaker box is full of 20-40 amp breakers. Now, I can put a single light bulb on a 40 amp breaker. Hell, I can put a single light bulb on a 5000 amp breaker. It doesn't make a shitten bit of difference because of Ohms law, the light bulb is only going to draw the amperage it needs. Amps (current) = Power / Voltage. We know your voltage, 120 or 240, depending on your country of origin. And we know the power (example: 100 watt bulb). Therefore, we know how many amps it'll draw. 110/100 = 1.1 Amps. Now... that's a 20 amp breaker. By your logic, that light bulb should just fucking explode. But it doesn't because of Ohms law. (not to be confused with your stupid ass electronics theory.) The bulb can ONLY draw 1.1 amps. It will never change unless your voltage or power or resistance changes. So go read a fucking book and leave the electronics to the pros.

"Ok you go push those amps through it. we'll see how long your shit will last."

To answer that... I will and all my "shit" will last the normal life expectancy of most "shit". Because my "shit", pulls the amount of amps that Ohms law tells it to. I don't have (nor does anyone for this matter) anything that "pushes" amps.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What you're saying is semi-correct but I think we're talking about 2 different things. If you try to put 100 amps through a conductor that's rated for 10, yes you're going to fry something. But The PS2 is built to handle 5.6 amps and if your adapter is rated at, at least, 5.6 amps then you're good. But it can be rated at more. As many as you want. To put it more clearly, AC works the same way. Your breaker box is full of 20-40 amp breakers. Now, I can put a single light bulb on a 40 amp breaker. Hell, I can put a single light bulb on a 5000 amp breaker. It doesn't make a shitten bit of difference because of Ohms law, the light bulb is only going to draw the amperage it needs. Amps (current) = Power / Voltage. We know your voltage, 120 or 240, depending on your country of origin. And we know the power (example: 100 watt bulb). Therefore, we know how many amps it'll draw. 110/100 = 1.1 Amps. Now... that's a 20 amp breaker. By your logic, that light bulb should just fucking explode. But it doesn't because of Ohms law. (not to be confused with your stupid ass electronics theory.) The bulb can ONLY draw 1.1 amps. It will never change unless your voltage or power or resistance changes. So go read a fucking book and leave the electronics to the pros.

"Ok you go push those amps through it. we'll see how long your shit will last."

To answer that... I will and all my "shit" will last the normal life expectancy of most "shit". Because my "shit", pulls the amount of amps that Ohms law tells it to. I don't have (nor does anyone for this matter) anything that "pushes" amps.
Hence why i said if you push 2 amps more through it, it isn't gonna do much but if you start going higher it will

Anunnymous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hence why i said if you push 2 amps more through it, it isn't gonna do much but if you start going higher it will

DUDE... You can't push amps through anything. The load calls for the amps (pulls them) and only takes what Ohms law will let it. Whatever, I apologize, you obviously have some kind of mental retardation. However, I do suggest you go talk to the people that gave you an "electronics diploma" and beg for a refund. You were scammed.

Anunnymous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to try to dumb it down even more to make you understand. I really hate when people have been failed by their professors and didn't get the proper training that they paid for.

I'm going to put it in terms of roads.

Let's pretend the car is your voltage. The road is your conductor and the speed at which the car is travelling is your amperage. (also known as amps). New York City is your starting point (mains) and Los Angeles is your destination (load).

Let's pretend there is only 1 road connecting the 2 cities and only 1 car can be on the road at a time.

Ok, the road that is currently there is a shitty dirt road that can only handle traffic, travelling at a rate of 30 miles per hour or else it will crumble. So a car tries to go 100 miles per hour and loses control and blows out the side of the road. Damn, he's dead.

Let's do a little construction on the road. It's upgraded to asphalt and concrete and widened to 10 lanes and it's a straight shot. Now the max speed is 300 miles per hour. Now, this is what the road is rated at. It can handle speeds up to 300 miles per hour. Any more than that and cars are bound to crash or the road is bound to give out. But, there is nothing saying that cars travelling from NYC to LA can't go 30 miles per hour still.

The road can handle 300 so it can handle 30 like a fucking champ. But if a dude in LA orders something from a guy in NYC and says, "You know what, take your time I don't need it right away. Go ahead and deliver it at 5 miles per hour." That's a possibility. The road is rated for 300 miles per hour. Dude can drive 5 miles per hour all fucking day long.

If that doesn't help than I've failed you too. But there's always the possibility that you're not able to learn. You have a concept stuck in your head and that's how it's going to be for you, no matter what. It's wrong, so you should really try to forget it, but the concept is yours, none-the-less.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
DUDE... You can't push amps through anything. The load calls for the amps (pulls them) and only takes what Ohms law will let it. Whatever, I apologize, you obviously have some kind of mental retardation. However, I do suggest you go talk to the people that gave you an "electronics diploma" and beg for a refund. You were scammed.
First off calling someone a retard '' wow good for you'' secondly you go do that then, we'll see how long it will last

Anunnymous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off calling someone a retard '' wow good for you'' secondly you go do that then, we'll see how long it will last

I didn't call you a retard. I just merely pointed out that you must learn at a slower pace. I do already do this, by the way. I use a 10 volt 20 amp brick with a tip splitter and adapters to connect all my retro consoles to one outlet so I don't have to pull out my stand to switch adapters all the time. Only one console is powered on at a time, so by your theory, I should have already fried my consoles or burned down my house cause I've been running that setup for years. No issues yet. There won't be either, because Ohm's law isn't a theory. It's just that, a law.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I didn't call you a retard. I just merely pointed out that you must learn at a slower pace. I do already do this, by the way. I use a 10 volt 20 amp brick with a tip splitter and adapters to connect all my retro consoles to one outlet so I don't have to pull out my stand to switch adapters all the time. Only one console is powered on at a time, so by your theory, I should have already fried my consoles or burned down my house cause I've been running that setup for years. No issues yet. There won't be either, because Ohm's law isn't a theory. It's just that, a law.
You def called me a retard. Good going there ;)

wvsgnovize

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Could we all just stop calling each other retarded and just settle on the fact that kumikochan is obviously wrong since if he wasn't literally every small electronic device that you can plug into a wall socket would explode instantly, because a wall socket sure as hell has more amps to dish out than something like a phone charger would ever need?

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To everyone here I just wanna say that 2 years later my genuine power supply stopped working recently before it failed I used a 3rd party psu that broke and then switched back to genuine one which failed. So it would've been a good idea to power it with a generic power supply and I don't think asking for the maximum voltage was daft because 8.5v psus aren't common.

D

Deleted User

To everyone here I just wanna say that 2 years later my genuine power supply stopped working recently before it failed I used a 3rd party psu that broke and then switched back to genuine one which failed. So it would've been a good idea to power it with a generic power supply and I don't think asking for the maximum voltage was daft because 8.5v psus aren't common.
Thanks for coming back and telling us! This is useful information!

Reactions: Jokey_Carrot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9w_UTPpHjg