What is the more ethically-minded decision to make?

SolidSonicTH

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use the A/C or move to a state that has a climate that you're more suited for so you don't have to burn energy to keep things at a livable temperature in your home?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Use the A/C or move to a state that has a climate that you're more suited for so you don't have to burn energy to keep things at a livable temperature in your home?
Rely more heavily on fans. They go a long way, unless you live in the desert AC should not be strictly needed.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Mozambique
There are other things to consider in a move than the cost of not having to run an A/C. Perhaps rent is much higher in the other place. Maybe groceries cost more. Higher gas prices. Crime rates. Etc, etc.

I'd just run the A/C. Moving just for that would be a complete pain in the ass, imo.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
If I was considering moving purely because of concerns over AC power usage, I'd first look into alternatives such as solar panels, insulation, unplugging unused devices, lower power settings, other practices, etc.

Also consider other factors, such as winter temperatures, how mains energy is generated e.g. gas, solar, etc.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Mozambique
Rely more heavily on fans. They go a long way, unless you live in the desert AC should not be strictly needed.

I am no where near a desert and temps can drop here in the winter to 40 degrees below zero with wind chill. During the summer months and depending on outside temperatures, my apartment gets up to 90 degrees F so A/C is strictly needed with or without fans. ;)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I am no where near a desert and temps can drop here in the winter to 40 degrees below zero with wind chill. During the summer months and depending on outside temperatures, my apartment gets up to 90 degrees F so A/C is strictly needed with or without fans. ;)
So does mine, and I make do with fans. I have a portable A/C, but I haven't used it in 2-3 years due to the increasing power costs.
Granted at the hottest it is rather unpleasant to be inside even with a fan blowing directly on me from short range, but you get used to it. Cold showers help a lot.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
90F. That’s pretty hot indoors. Rather than A/C, try to have petter airflow. When I lived in a 2 story house, I’d have a couple of windows, that face the wind, open. Then upstairs, have a couple of windows open at the opposite end of the house. The air was warm, but it kept moving. Just having the air moving came make a noticeable difference.

Reactions: AncientBoi

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
90F. That’s pretty hot indoors. Rather than A/C, try to have petter airflow. When I lived in a 2 story house, I’d have a couple of windows, that face the wind, open. Then upstairs, have a couple of windows open at the opposite end of the house. The air was warm, but it kept moving. Just having the air moving came make a noticeable difference.

And, being "Nakey" helps at that temperature. Tested and True. :blush::D

1715873739972.png

Last edited by AncientBoi,
  • Haha
Reactions: slaphappygamer

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Mozambique

All of the windows in my apartment face the same direction. Unfortunately there is no airflow in here even with all of the windows open. Fans might do it for some people, but combined with terrible humidity, seasonal allergies, and asthma, I cannot simply turn the ac off and open the windows.

Running the AC costs me maybe $25 a month extra for three months. I think I'll eat the cost. It would still be WELL worth that cost for me even if I didn't have the allergies and asthma. I've tried fans. I have several big box fans and I don't enjoy 90 degree air being blown on me. it just simply doesn't help. To each their own. :)

Reactions: slaphappygamer

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone who has lived in the humid humid southern USA with a broken ac during the summer, and during week and longer power outages during hurricanes and relied on generators, gonna have to heavily disagree on this one. At some point fans just push humid hot air around and dont do anything.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
As someone who has lived in the humid humid southern USA with a broken ac during the summer, and during week and longer power outages during hurricanes and relied on generators, gonna have to heavily disagree on this one. At some point fans just push humid hot air around and dont do anything.
Areas with high humidity are the exception, I suppose. I travel to Singapore sometimes and having stayed there with a broken AC once or twice, it was just about bearable with an indoor temp of 29C, but I would not wish to repeat it. That said a dehumidifier can solve that, but they do use a bit of power (a lot more than a fan if you need to dehumidify your entire home), they take some time to have an effect so pretty much need to be left on almost all the time, and need to be emptied out regularly. And I believe they also produce a bit of heat which will counteract some of the benefit from having drier air.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
i'd say it depends on how long you'll (plan to) live, ethical is moving.
It also depends on the sort of A/C.
A/C with outside and inside units, and a wind turbine/mill, solar collector makes it fine, you'll harvest your own clean energy for the A/C.
A/Cby itself is not that harmfull, it's the energy it takes to do get you comfortable.

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
A/C by itself is not that harmful, it's the energy it takes to do get you comfortable.

A/Cs also generate heat to produce cold, so no, the energy consumption is not the only drawback.
You're also actively making the (already hot) area hotter by using A/Cs.

That said, just use your A/C, but try using solar power whenever you can.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
A/Cs also generate heat to produce cold, so no, the energy consumption is not the only drawback.
You're also actively making the (already hot) area hotter by using A/Cs.

That said, just use your A/C, but try using solar power whenever you can.
The heat is produced in the compressor which is usually outside (unless you use a portable AC) so the heat generated is not an issue.
The inside unit is not much more than a fan which blows on a radiator.

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The heat is produced in the compressor which is usually outside (unless you use a portable AC) so the heat generated is not an issue.
The inside unit is not much more than a fan which blows on a radiator.
That's the point.
You're making an already hot area (not the inside of your house, the general area around your neighborhood) hotter by using A/C.
But there's really no way around it, we either use it or leave.

https://www.euronews.com/green/2023/08/30/fact-check-is-air-conditioning-making-cities-hotter

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
    +1
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Why so serious!
    @BakerMan, yeah that's about the only reason I would vote for Trump over Biden.
    +1
    In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Economy was better under Trump, according to Fox News.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I don't give a fuck about what happens to America but I would like it if your shit didn't spill out on the rest of the world, thank you.
    +3
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    A Far Right news service company
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I give a fuck about what happens to America but I would like it if our shit didn't spill out on the rest of the world, thank you.
    +2
    @Veho, didn't need any news. Just going to the store and buying groceries is a constant reminder.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    A reminder that all corporations reported record profits these last few years?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Reminded that every single price gouging law was blocked by republicans because "muh gubmint overreach"?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Won't somebody please think of the corporations?!?!
    Veho @ Veho: Won't somebody please think of the corporations?!?!