Status
Not open for further replies.

pluis3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
everything is in the title please i want to know because i can not find on google and i'm curious if i could play games like cuphead

xXDungeon_CrawlerXx

Trophies
XP
Country
everything is in the title please i want to know because i can not find on google and i'm curious if i could play games like cuphead
I'm not sure what do you mean exactly.
Linux is "not bad" on the Switch yet but it's not that good yet, tho.
We still don't have access to the vulkan api, no sound & no Joycon support yet.

But some things you already can do with Linux on Switch.
- Dumping the eMMC (NAND, BOOT0, BOOT1)
- Flashing the NAND to eMMC
- Use it as Server (not very useful if you ask me)
- stream your PC-Stuff to Linux (+ using your JoyCons on your Windows PC) to play some games via Stream.

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i want to know because i can not find on google

xEfgLvd.png

No Google needed. You're welcome.

Last edited by VitaType,

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there are too many threads

Theree's also the issue of cpu speed, ram, other stuff...

Some games will run better than others. But linux on the switch is really just a novelty right now. It's a nice advancement, but it's a novelty.

D

Deleted User

Holy hell shut up all of you.
xEfgLvd.png

No Google needed. You're welcome.
Have you ever personally used the search function (aside from searching for a particular user) that has given you anything worth while? I sure haven't, at least not without going through pages of unrelated threads that just gets more unrelated. And I am sure that googling or gbatemp searching "How powerful is linux on the switch" will not net you anything.

Please stop with these dumb threads
Very constructive. All you have done is get your post count up.

It is, you fill this sub forum with questions that are already answered, it is not hard to Google "games on Linux" etc. anyone with a basic understanding of the internet can do this, and anyone attempting to compile and boot linux on Switch should have the general knowledge to understand that regardless.
He wasn't asking about the games Linux can run, he was asking about what are the potential things it can do. Walking up to a random person and asking what Linux can do on the Nintendo Switch will get you nothing but stares (most likely).

You are saying that you have not even searched for "What games can I play on Linux"? It is just like Windows as long as the game supports ARM64 it will run, in the end the power of Linux is what the user is able to do with it.
Have you tried the exploit, or attempted to run any OS on a platform that isn't officially supported? You also responded to something off-topic.

Anyways, to answer the OP's question, Linux isn't really powerful enough yet. It will still require some optimizations, and in the end probably won't be what is widely used. Currently, it is most likely being used as if you booted Linux onto your PC with a USB drive. It runs and allows you access to areas you don't usually have access to (partitions, namely). It would be better to wait for official CFW to come out that addresses your concerns, and for games Rainway may or may not come to the Switch.

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

No, you can't play Cuphead.

You also can't play x86 Linux games like Portal 2.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Right now, as the time of 4th of May 2018, it's not much you can do. It's to new to do anything superfancy. I would suggest you wait a bit longer. If someone will/want to make audio drivers, joycon drivers etc. they will. Until then it's just to rest in the boat.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But still, the same as if you installed Linux on any ARM based System, you wouldn't magically be able to play Windows x86 games like Cuphead... that is just not possible, not a matter of Linux... you need an x86!

PS: that said, I don't know what is the relation between this and ...power?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
But still, the same as if you installed Linux on any ARM based System, you wouldn't magically be able to play Windows x86 games like Cuphead... that is just not possible, not a matter of Linux... you need an x86!

PS: that said, I don't know what is the relation between this and ...power?
Of course, else Steam/SteamOS must also have the support for it, and the games need ARM support as well. It's more fisable with mobile games and Android.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm very curious about this...

But some things you already can do with Linux on Switch.
- Flashing the NAND to eMMC

I've not saw a public post yet for restoring the NAND that has been tested and works.
You seem very sure by your answer that it works, have you personally restored a Switch NAND and it is confirmed working, or have you saw proof someone else did ???

xXDungeon_CrawlerXx

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm very curious about this...

I've not saw a public post yet for restoring the NAND that has been tested and works.
You seem very sure by your answer that it works, have you personally restored a Switch NAND and it is confirmed working, or have you saw proof someone else did ???

I did this on my own Switch using following Command:
Code:
dcfldd if=/home/switch/NAND/SwitchNAND_dump.bin of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=512
It took some time but after doing this, my Switch started without problems.

Reactions: Slimmmmmm

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I did this on my own Switch using following Command:
Code:
dcfldd if=/home/switch/NAND/SwitchNAND_dump.bin of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=512
It took some time but after doing this, my Switch started without problems.
You have some gut to try a dd on the eMMC just like that, but oh well, good thing it worked. I guess that's some empirical proof.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Since the Hashes were the same and the NAND were useable with HACTool there was no reason why it shouldn't work, right?
It should work, as long as writing to the eMMC was correctly implemented and working on your linux build.
I mean, it should work, but being that those versions of Linux running on the Switch are not very well tested, mostly ARM ports for different hardware with some patches here and there, there might be some bug left on the eMMC block driver... I would think twice before just going and doing a dd for writing (unless it was proven by some gutsy soul that it works already), specially in this system.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A lot of moaning in this thread about its existence, and yet if the first person that responded would've wrote "No, as of now linux on Switch is still in early stages, with no sound or joycon support.. etc" then not only would that be the end of it, but the next person that tried to search for an answer might've found this useful response instead of another bloated thread with no real information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Y9WKPRUjNQ4?si=raUf8jEiET8rmH2P