What makes Linux OS so good?

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The point is, if you're too dumb to realize, most games people use to play on Windows, aren't available on your shitty open-source operating system. Like I only have 49 games out of 167 games in my library and all of them are either shovelware or crapware and only some good ones are playable on "wonux".

Most of games I play, aren't even available on Linux. Like some F2P games.

You're spewing shit, my god.
It's not Linux's fault that there aren't as many games, it's the developer's fault.
They are the ones who fail to realize that Linux is better for Windows at gaming. All native games that I run on Linux, run way better on it than on Windows.
Out of my 251 games, over 150 are playable on Linux, and that's already a shit ton.

And if you already use Linux as your main OS, why should it fucking matter? Just get games that are available on it, if they aren't but you still really wanna play, then WINE that shit.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While I agree that this post is mainly a shitfest, the OP did ask a legitimate question, and there are posts that are on-topic, such as my previous one.
Agreed but there is far to much bullshit playground posts and that is what always happens in threads like this

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The funny part is, in my experience the whining starts whenever I mention to someone else that I use Linux, and they immediately start harassing me in an attempt to "convert" me to Windows. Whereas on the other hand, if someone tells me they're using Windows, I don't act like they've committed sacrilege.

On that note; There is not a single thing anyone here could tell me to get me to "switch" to Windows as my primary OS. Not one.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
The only good thing is open source and customizability.

However, it's just a niche product hence practically nobody but nerds using it but people on this site praise it as the best thing ever to stare at 5 terminals and error logs at once with cryptic output when you try to do any kind of work on the system with buggy open source terminal-only software because nobody is getting paid to do any fixing or aesthetics since "it's not needed" when you can just work with the terminal, find the bugs yourself and re-compile in case you ran into problems or don't like something. Sadly, nobody has the time to do this if you're trying to do some "real" work instead of ripping your hair out.
I dont think I've ever seen anyone just puke out more blatant lies in my life to be honest.

...maybe Hillary Clinton.

I use Linux for work - at work - every single day and it's an absolute JOY how smooth and well it works. Meanwhile, my desktop PC at work is bugging me every day to restart to install fucking updates which I don't have time for, nor do I have an option to say no, whereas a Linux system will never have to be rebooted.

I'd never argue that Linux is perfect, it has some huge fucking issues, but don't just fucking spew random bullshit, seriously.

Your part about aesthetics, what does that even mean? Implying M$...."fixes" aesthetics? This is my desktop and I can use that just to the extent I can in Windows. When issues arise that are not capable of being fixed in a UI (e.g executing a sfc on Windows in comparison) I'll take it to terminal, or because I prefer to use the terminal cause I can do it faster than any GUI will ever let me.

D

Deleted User

This whole thread has descended into being a farce it's like being back in school in the early 90s

oh nintendo are better than Sega
No they are not Sega has loads of Arcade games

Arcade games are shit where are all the great rpg games like Final Fantasy

Fuck final Fantasy we have Phantasy Star which is much better

Yep but we have mode 7

But we have Mega CD (Sega CD for our American friends lol)

But we have mario

But we have Sonic

My dick is bigger than yours

Well your mum wasn't complaining about my dick last night.

Fucking playground bullshit dosen't exist on this site nobody is right or wrong in what is the best operating system its all down to personal choice. Whatever one best suits your need is the best one for you they all have their benefits and cons.

Now can you all stop acting like 10 year old kids please.
+1

PREACH!!!
Avoiding the fact that you mindlessly defend Linux in this thread without contributing to it is astounding.

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
+1

Avoiding the fact that you mindlessly defend Linux in this thread without contributing to it is astounding.
I'm sorry, I'm just clearing up misconceptions about the OS, some that you caused. So honey, don't throw stones from glass houses.

BTW Can the mods close this thread this is getting out of hand, quick.

D

Deleted User

They are the ones who fail to realize that Linux is better for Windows at gaming. All native games that I run on Linux, run way better on it than on Windows.
Out of my 251 games, over 150 are playable on Linux, and that's already a shit ton.

And if you already use Linux as your main OS, why should it fucking matter? Just get games that are available on it, if they aren't but you still really wanna play, then WINE that shit.
Oh boy, Linux for gaming? Better? Yeah, it's so good that even opensource doesn't help when it comes to drivers or trying to make something work under Wine, especially if game uses DirectX.

Linux is more created towards programmers than gamers.

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Oh boy, Linux for gaming? Better? Yeah, it's so good that even opensource doesn't help when it comes to drivers or trying to make something work under Wine, especially if game uses DirectX.

So, there's that, you could've responded with:
  • Not good for gaming, yes
  • Good for programming, Oh yes.

Lucar

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Wine is working on DirectX 10/11 support, so soon a crap ton more games that use DirectX will be available under wine. I have to agree that Gaming isn't like it is on windows, but that's due to Microsoft's monopoly on that market.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

In the one hand, yes, Windows has more components that are made specially thinking on gaming.
In the other hand, even if Linux were great for gaming (it is OK), it would be like saying "This is not Microsoft fault, the XB1X has great hardware! It is the fault of the game producers that don't make games for it!".
And no matter if that is true or not, in the end for someone that wants to play the things it stands that XB1X lacks many games that you can play good in PS4; Linux lacks many games that you can play good in Windows. Pragmatically, if you are going to use it exclusively for gaming, go Windows. IMHO.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Lucar

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In the one hand, yes, Windows has more components that are made specially thinking on gaming.
In the other hand, even if Linux were great for gaming (it is OK), it would be like saying "This is not Microsoft fault, the XB1X has great hardware! It is the fault of the game producers that don't make games for it!".
And no matter if that is true or not, in the end for someone that wants to play the thing stands, XB1X lacks many games that you can play good in PS4; Linux lacks many games that you can play good in Windows. Pragmatically, if you are going to use it exclusively for gaming, go Windows. IMHO.

Or dual-boot and get the best of both worlds!

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
The only good thing is open source and customizability.

However, it's just a niche product hence practically nobody but nerds using it but people on this site praise it as the best thing ever to stare at 5 terminals and error logs at once with cryptic output when you try to do any kind of work on the system with buggy open source terminal-only software because nobody is getting paid to do any fixing or aesthetics since "it's not needed" when you can just work with the terminal, find the bugs yourself and re-compile in case you ran into problems or don't like something. Sadly, nobody has the time to do this if you're trying to do some "real" work instead of ripping your hair out.
Oh, and also, please tell me, what is your course of action when Windows gets stuck in a Windows Update revert loop and wont boot? What do you do when you get kicked back to login screen after you log in? You format.
(Expected reply from typical Anti-Linux kid: i've never hed those isues lol you must just suck and get vrusis XD)
In Linux, you find the issue and fix it.

D

Deleted User

Or dual-boot and get the best of both worlds!
This. A total solution for those that want to have both OSes without uninstalling primary one.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh, and also, please tell me, what is your course of action when Windows gets stuck in a Windows Update revert loop and wont boot? What do you do when you get kicked back to login screen after you log in? You format.
You can fix this issue from a Linux LiveCD and bam, you have bootable Windows again.
Also, I never experienced such a problem, mostly because I don't pass protect my PCs.

Reactions: Shadowfied

Lucar

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
(Expected reply from typical Anti-Linux kid: i've never hed those isues lol you must just suck and get vrusis XD)
In Linux, you find the issue and fix it.

Or you deal with the issues. I once manually built the Linux Kernel, and when I tried booting back into Linux Mint's default DE, Cinnamon, it would refuse to load if I wasn't on intel graphics, and GUESS WHAT

THE NOUVEAU DRIVERS DIDN'T WORK WITH THE KERNEL SO I WAS STUCK ON NVIDIA

I had to install another DE so I could use my computer. I ended up liking it anyways so everything went well in that case.

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Linux kernel is waaaaay faster than Windows.
And drivers? Literally the easiest shit to get. My install came working right out of the box, I still updated MESA drivers though and now things run even better, it's not a fucking mess like installing a billion different drivers for all sorts of shit on Windows.
DirectX, .NET, etc.

And WINE works very well, it's not as good as running natively but I've had lots of good luck with it.
DirectX support isn't perfect of course, but older games and even some newer ones run great.
And if the game has OpenGL or Vulkan support then it's guaranteed to run perfect ( Doom for example ).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • light27 @ light27:
    call sps
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Hey mine helps me in the shower lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    We went to a place in a mall where they let you play with some consoles for like an hour
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I choose the nintendo switch and I played smash ultimate and Mario wonder
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    It was fun
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Also i'm back at my house
    Smash bros sounds like gay incest lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And Mario Wonder sounds like a Mario with old timers disease walking the streets lost.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Shove a gerbil through a tube
    +2
    Warp pipe Ken lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ring actually helped and I didn't have to cuss out the guy in arabic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They help you delete some incriminating videos?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No you asked for proof that your wife was finally leaving
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh I had her chipped, I always know where she is.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I found where it was
    +1
    If I could halucinAte this is what I imagine it would look like?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Featuring Taylor swift
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, pubg should've never blown up
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut do you mean? Pubg is alright, I play it with a few buddies online.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the game itself is ok, but it's influence is the problem
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Call of duty is a good Fortnite skin
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    call of duty and fortnite, ex-fucking-actly
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    without pubg popping off, fortnite wouldn't add battle royale, and call of duty wouldn't go even shittier than it did before because of blackout, warzone and dmz
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: without pubg popping off, fortnite wouldn't add battle royale, and call of duty wouldn't go even...