Snappo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
DiscostewSM said:
pachura said:
The only 3D movies we are going to see are shitty kiddie movies (Harry Potter 23412), shitty action movies (Spiderman 23452345) and shitty 3D cartoons (Toy Story 4562). I bet there will be nothing for grownups.

This is a perfect time for that picture with the kid who is not going to get a 3DS.
Do u mean

4784401783_1ce0886e7d.jpg

laugh.gif
LOL I watched that video, he just said Nintendo's copying the PSP LOL.
EDIT: Just watched the video again, and saw in the related videos another video by him called "Why the Mario series sucks."

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
C'mon, I'm not a troll, I'm just stating the obvious
wink.gif

3DS, like DS and all its predecessors, will be aimed mainly at teenagers. Which is understandable, as teenagers have the most spare time to play games.

The same goes for films; I believe the choice of movies will consist 99% of kiddy (name it "family", if you want) ones. Appropriate for 13 y.o. audience, some action, lots of CG effects, trivial plot. Can you imagine someone 30 years old going to cinema to see "Transformers" or "Harry Potter" in any other situation than to accompany his children ? Me not.

And no, I don't mean that "adult" movies must have sex and lots of violence in it. Let's take, for example, "The Shawshank Redemption". I bet it won't ever be released for 3DS because kids will find it too slow, too long, too boring. And yet it is #1 at IMDB's list of the best movies of all time...

Another problem is the 3D technology; you have to have images for two eyes, shot from slightly different angles. With CG-movies (3D cartoons like "Shrek", or "Avatar", or whatever) it is super-simple to create them; just move the camera a little bit in your 3D software and re-render the whole thing again. But for regular movies, not shot in front of a bluebox, you'd either need to use 2 cameras, or laboriously edit all the frames one by one (which would produce a layered "papercut" look anyway). Too much work.

Just look at this list. Do you see any e.g. psychological drama here ? Or a document ?

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Actually, now that you elaborate, you have some good points. I thought you were trolling at first because all your posts contained was (mostly unwarranted) jabs at a couple series, and the prediction that no "grown up" movies would be coming to the platform, which I took to mean movies "inappropriate for children".

You're quite right, of course. Serious movies don't need 3D to enhance the experience or get the point across. And that kind of movie won't be popular with Nintendo's audience anyway. That's not to say, though, that the movies that are put into 3D won't be any good. Movies don't have to be long and serious to be entertaining. I quite enjoyed Spider Man and Harry Potter, and Toy Story was part of my childhood.

I hope non 3D movies will be released as well. Good movies didn't start with the advent of parallax 3D glasses.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Agree. I think it ultimately boils down to the question: will they release regular, "flat" movies, too ? Would love it, but I can see a problem: thousands of angry customers wanting their money back because "I bought whole season of Desperate Housewives and not a single episode is 3D !!!"

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pachura said:
Agree. I think it ultimately boils down to the question: will they release regular, "flat" movies, too ? Would love it, but I can see a problem: thousands of angry customers wanting their money back because "I bought whole season of Desperate Housewives and not a single episode is 3D !!!"
3D Desperate Housewives?

I can get that for free at the battered women's shelter.

lostdwarf

OP
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
ok its almost a dead cert that we are getting 3d and normal movies. Nintendo says they have deals with warner and dreamworks etc. These companys will want to release 3d movies (since the 3ds will be the only other way to watch them outside of the cinema for a while) but they will see the money making potential and release normal movies too.
And to answer another post... Watching movies on the dslite and dsi wiith moonshell is great, i watch them at work on my breaks, looks cool, sounds cool. 3ds is going to be special. 3d in your hands! WOOP!

Deathmore

Trophies
XP
Country
They way to really sell the 3DS is to package it with 3DSPlay and ToyStory's 1 2 and 3. Not only would that keep kids happy it also keep me happy.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jimwhat said:
dsfanatic5 said:
Njrg said:
High Def Wildlife Documentaries.
I agree about Nature documentaries, especially ones that were filmed in 3D for IMax, or perhaps Planet Earth in 3D.

What kid would want to watch a Wildlife Documentary lol
I'm hardly a kid, and I love watching wildlife documentaries. This topic asks what movies we want to see on the 3DS, not what movies will appeal to kids.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
dsfanatic5 said:
jimwhat said:
dsfanatic5 said:
Njrg said:
I agree about Nature documentaries, especially ones that were filmed in 3D for IMax, or perhaps Planet Earth in 3D.

What kid would want to watch a Wildlife Documentary lol
I'm hardly a kid, and I love watching wildlife documentaries. This topic asks what movies we want to see on the 3DS, not what movies will appeal to kids.
I daresay Nintendo probably peddles most of their units to kids. I think he's saying that Nature documentaries wouldn't earn much on the 3DS because of the age demographic.

I wouldn't mind seeing them though.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Better to have the choice. Maybe it'll be a case of the slightly older owners buying them, or maybe some parents buying them for the children.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for nature or wildlife documentaries, I too realize that they don't appeal to the largest of masses, but look at Nintendo's strategy lately. The only commercial I've seen for the DSiXL, is that of a family gathered around the kitchen, using the DS as a reference to real life recipes, as they cook one of 300 meals offered in "America's Test Kitchen: Let's Get Cooking."

Many months ago, I dabbled in "My Stop Smoking Coach with Allen Carr," because I am a smoker (unfortunately), and I wanted to see how this software could offer advice.

These games exist, but I could hardly imagine that children would be the target market. I'd like to thing that Nintendo imagines the 3DS to appeal to everyone of all ages, and therefore we might see the same diversity that we find in the current DS hardware.

I love my 3D CG animation movies like everyone else, but I'm more enamored by nature, and the real world we live in. For those that have watched Planet Earth, Blue Planet, Life, etc.....you know how beautiful the real world is. These are programs I would watch again, and again, unlike movies such as Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs.

jimwhat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
dsfanatic5 said:
dsfanatic5 said:
Njrg said:

I daresay Nintendo probably peddles most of their units to kids. I think he's saying that Nature documentaries wouldn't earn much on the 3DS because of the age demographic.

I wouldn't mind seeing them though.

Yup, that's what I was trying to say.

QUOTE(Veho @ Aug 11 2010, 02:33 AM)
All of them, bar a few morons.

lol I think you're giving them too much credit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Hey a thought occurred to me... If they are unexpected database errors, are there expected database errors?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, that's just a pre-order term to make the product look better it's not sold out
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Never expect a website to last 24/7 it's like section 8
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    good afternoon fellas
    +1
    Gotten tag!
    Gutten lol
    Autocorrect isn't always correct
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    however,sad news today, although idk if i can say it bc it relates to a rom site
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Rom or Ram site? Cause there's a big difference
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    rom,like game files
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    know what? to paraphrase sonic: "no GBAtemp rule in the universe is gonna stop me"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    vimm's lair had to remove a bunch of games because of nintendo, sega, and lego
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Got taken down? Another one bites the dust
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not taken down, but had to remove a bunch of games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sirloin sounds good tonight
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah it does
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    RIP Vimm's Lair (most of the games anyway), you will be missed

also i think this is a great time and reason to bring back a hashtag previously used about ubisoft
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    #stopkillinggames
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    #mailmesomesirloinsteak
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mail you deeze nuts
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That be cheap, flat rate small envelope. Me- "Hey this envelope is empty, oh that makes since."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still fits in your mouth the same way
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I was looking at steaks other day at grocery, can't believe some cuts (angus) are like $25 a pound. Crazyness.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I was looking at steaks other day at grocery, can't believe some cuts (angus) are like $25 a...