What version of the first Final Fantasy should I play?

PrinceOfBrains

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just beat Final Fantasy Origin for Xbox and I loved it - anyone who's a fan of Tecmo's other action games (or character action games in general) should totally check it out.

Parts of the story did make me realize, however, that I've never actually played the first Final Fantasy, and I know I have a ton of options to do so these days so I'm trying to figure out what the best option might be. I know the Pixel Remasters have been getting some...mixed responses, should I just snag it on Steam or wait for a Switch port, or is there a better way? I've been big into Wonderswan stuff lately and I'd love to play it handheld, so I might grab an English patch for the older WS version or track down the GBA port or something if those are any fun.

Thanks!

appleburger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It really comes down to preference with the first game especially - depending on what experience you're after.

If you want the version with the most content - PSP wins. Some people don't like the aesthetic of this one, so the follow up to that is typically the GBA version, since it also has bonus content.

FF1 is has a lot of notorious bugs, which are mostly unique to the NES version, if you're crazy (I get it, tho) and want that experience.

I actually really like the PS1 version; I tend to go on PS1 binges every few years and it's nice to have a version of FF1 to include in that library when I'm after that 90s living room experience.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I didn't really get into JRPGs until getting a PS2. I would say technically Kingdom Hearts was my first "Final Fantasy" game but if we aren't counting that, then Final Fantasy X was my first Final Fantasy game. I then started playing backward from there.

Reactions: PrinceOfBrains

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As above for most it is a split between PSP, GBA and possibly PS1 (the later PS1 ports of other final fantasies being the more contentious, though I have the ones that appeared in PAL countries and enjoy them a lot). If getting PSP or PS1 going on is going to be an aggravation then nobody would question GBA version instead.
The modern PC/Steam Final Fantasy ports of any of the classic ones are generally considered an affront to all that is good in the world -- looking at it I always get the impression Square (Enix) is ashamed of the limitations and wants to be a story/animation company where everybody else embraces it/is all "that's how I grew up".

I however am here to note you do also have hacks to consider in this
https://www.romhacking.net/?page=ha...=200&order=&dir=&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go
https://www.romhacking.net/games/561/
(not much going for the I+II combo version).
Plenty of options there to get bug fixes, translation tweaks and various levels of modernisation.

The GBA version does also have a few hacks
https://www.romhacking.net/games/820/
https://www.romhacking.net/?page=ha...=200&order=&dir=&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go

All that said I am not sure I would have FF1 in the games you must have played to call yourself a well rounded gamer or show to people to get them interested in things. 4,5 and 6 (5 being my favourite) is a different matter but you could just about skip 1 and 2 without too much issue, maybe glance at a sprite sheet so when you see things like http://www.nuklearpower.com/2001/03/02/episode-001-were-going-where/ you know what is going on. 3 was not really a thing outside Japan until the DS, though again hackers had got it in English long before then, and its age was showing even then.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I'd go with the original, they're short enough that you could always play it again on a new version if you want, the pixel remaster is good if you want mods though, there's a whole community for modding the unity pixel remasters

PrinceOfBrains

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As above for most it is a split between PSP, GBA and possibly PS1 (the later PS1 ports of other final fantasies being the more contentious, though I have the ones that appeared in PAL countries and enjoy them a lot). If getting PSP or PS1 going on is going to be an aggravation then nobody would question GBA version instead.
The modern PC/Steam Final Fantasy ports of any of the classic ones are generally considered an affront to all that is good in the world -- looking at it I always get the impression Square (Enix) is ashamed of the limitations and wants to be a story/animation company where everybody else embraces it/is all "that's how I grew up".

I however am here to note you do also have hacks to consider in this
https://www.romhacking.net/games/561/
(not much going for the I+II combo version).
Plenty of options there to get bug fixes, translation tweaks and various levels of modernisation.

The GBA version does also have a few hacks
https://www.romhacking.net/games/820/

All that said I am not sure I would have FF1 in the games you must have played to call yourself a well rounded gamer or show to people to get them interested in things. 4,5 and 6 (5 being my favourite) is a different matter but you could just about skip 1 and 2 without too much issue, maybe glance at a sprite sheet so when you see things like http://www.nuklearpower.com/2001/03/02/episode-001-were-going-where/ you know what is going on. 3 was not really a thing outside Japan until the DS, though again hackers had got it in English long before then, and its age was showing even then.

So I admit I have a pretty basic understanding of FF as a whole - the only ones I've played to completion are 6-9 (nice) and even then I haven't really revisited them since they were 'new', although I did love 8-Bit Theater in high school and could at least appreciate the fact they were based on FF sprites. I'd never felt super possessed to go back and play any of the earlier ones aside from maybe 4, even though I'd always sort of wanted to just to understand their position in the series' history overall.

That said, after having just played through Stranger of Paradise, I was curious to finally play FF1 due to the (no spoilers) plot connections and the fact Squenix themselves brands it as a "reimagining" of FF1. It's sounding like the GBA version may be the way to go - I always prefer playing longer RPG-type experiences handheld these days, and it seems to offer some advantages over the WS version which I was admittedly considering just for the novelty of it.

• Haha
Reactions: Takokeshi

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Your OP confused me for a while because Final Fantasy Origins is also the name of the PS1 remake of FF1 :P

Definitely PSP as far as I'm concerned though, followed by GBA if PSP is not an option. Different gameplay though due to the mana changes, so if you'd prefer to experience something a bit closer to the original I might recommend the PS1 version.

If you wanted to follow up with the other ones, be aware that 3 is more or less just an early proof-of-concept of the job system. The lore from 3 is pretty important to the series but gameplay-wise you can probably skip it and go straight to 5, which takes everything 3 was and just makes it 50 times better.

prof72

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
they are individual and no connection except if there is part 2
like FFX then FFX-2
most people will choose FF7 but heres my list for you

FF9 because it has the best story and twist and funny and no sadness
FF7 for action pack but prepare for sad twist
FF8 for love story
FFX FFX-2 for fighting for your love one
FF12 for new battle style nothing more
FF tactics for tactical game
FF Dysidia for fighting game
FF 1236 for retro style gaming and just aaccomplishment
FF 45 is good but retro style
FF 13 for solo player character role
FF14 for online and if your rich (FF11 shutdowned)
FF15 for small version of kpop BTS
FF16 coming soon

Attachments

• home-background.jpg
    home-background.jpg
    459.2 KB · Views: 41

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom

If you're bored, here's a video on all the differences between the FF1 versions. It also recommends the best version.

Yep that guy is awesome and has also done videos for every other Final Fantasy game and many other games that have multiple versions.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard good things about the pixel remasters of all of the final fantasy games. I actually bought the collection a month ago or so for about $70, all six games. I kinda wished they had come out on consoles, but they probably will at some point.

Reactions: AmandaRose

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've heard good things about the pixel remasters of all of the final fantasy games. I actually bought the collection a month ago or so for about $70, all six games. I kinda wished they had come out on consoles, but they probably will at some point.
They look and sound great but I still prefer the gba/psp versions for all the extra content that was in them that is sadly missing from the pixel remasters.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They look and sound great but I still prefer the gba/psp versions for all the extra content that was in them that is sadly missing from the pixel remasters.
I bought them on a whim, since they're normally around $100 for all six. I've beaten the first final fantasy on the nes as well as the gba, yep I'm that old. :P

Reactions: AmandaRose

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I bought them on a whim, since they're normally around $100 for all six. I've beaten the first final fantasy on the nes as well as the gba, yep I'm that old. :P
Finished every version except for the NTT DoCoMo's I-mode and the Ezweb CDMA 1X phone versions as I will never own those two obscure Japanese phones lol.

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ykuU8hnotr0?si=HzEN_fL2UyOn35HQ +1