What video game maps do you know by heart?

Kanto_Town_Map_RBY.png

One of the funnest parts of adventure games is getting to explore the world, getting to see all the fun visuals and details unique to that game's universe. Some of them, especially open-world games will have you trek across locations for a majority of your adventure, and you'll wind up familiarizing yourself with landmarks, being able to orient yourself within the game's world, just by looking at a single building. Especially if you've played that specific game over and over.

If I were to name an example, it would have to be the Kanto region. After pouring hundreds of hours replaying the game with various Pokemon teams as a kid, I've burned every building inside and out, route, cave, and Gym into my brain. Sometimes, I think with distress, that I could have something more valuable stored in that brain-space that holds this information, but regardless, my repeated travels from Palette Town all the way to Indigo Plateau will never be shaken from the deepest recesses of my memory. It doesn't help that anyone who knows anything about Pokemon is aware of how many games Kanto has been a part of, from the original Red and Blue, to Yellow's more anime-esque take, Gold and Silver's shrunken-down retreading and their respective re-releases, and Fire Red/Leaf Green and Let's Go's remakes of that oh-so-familiar world.

110995.jpg

Another game that manages to create a memorable gaming world is Persona 4. Inaba is repeatedly described as a boring town with nothing of interest, and its small-town vibe plays a major role in both the story and the game's overarching theme. It's hardly comparable to Persona 3's bustling city of Iwatodai, or Persona 5, which lets you travel by bus to visit multiple varied and sprawling Japanese prefectures. Yet, throughout your 80+ hour journey throughout the game, you wind up appreciating Inaba for all its charms, just like the local residents do. Each day, you'll either be hanging out with your friends at the Junes Food Court, or going to class every morning. Most of your Social Links--another integral part of the game--have to be sought out, and they each have their own daily schedules and favorite places to relax. When it rains and no one wants to go outside, you'll find yourself fishing at the Samegawa Riverbank, and given just how many times it rains in Persona 4, you're going to be walking there a lot. The world feels lived in and real, and it helps you slowly become aqcuainted with it, to know where everything and everyone is, to the point of no longer needing a guide. Just like how you would become adjusted in real life, if you had to move to a new town, just like the main character.

Ppc_foyer.jpg

But perhaps the best example of all, is Peach's Castle, from Super Mario 64. It's the quintessential hub world, letting you explore the castle, both inside and out. You begin with just a few doors available to you, with the rest locked behind Power Stars. As you begin to collect more and progress through the game, you'll open a handful of new doors after every world, finding new rooms, each with unique designs that stand out. Even years between revisiting Super Mario 64, I still know that the left-most door in the entry will take you to Bob-omb Battlefield, that taking the stairs to the door with the large Power Star on it will lead to a hallway with Princess Peach's picture on it, only for it to trick you and turn into Bowser, before dropping you through a trick floor, or how if I were to be blindfolded, I'd still probably be able to beat Koopa the Quick, just by knowing the path so well. There's no shortage of secrets to be found either, such as The Princess' Secret Slide level, found by jumping into a stained glass window at random. It rewards the player for exploring the world thoroughly, and thanks to careful considerations and genius level designs from the development team, they were able to give us one of the best 3D worlds ever.

Now, we want to know. What video game map is the most memorable to you? If you closed your eyes and tried to perfectly re-create a single world in your mind, which game would it be, and why?

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If I close my eyes I can pretty much go through every sonic adventure level and map in my head. Plus I could literally play the game in my head. I played it so many times I might actually have a problem at this point.

Oh and pretty much all of the major Shenmue 1 towns as well. I used to draw maps for that game when I was younger in a notebook just like ryo.

Last edited by Justinde75,

RyRyIV

Woke Clown
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Kanto
Johto
Hoenn

My personal “holy trinity” of Pokémon games, with the most memorable regions and maps to me.

Resident Evil 4’s village is permanently ingrained in my mind
Sonic Adventure, every area I feel like I could jump back in and know exactly where I am and where to go. Helps that each character just goes to different areas on the same map, I suppose.

And of course, the majority of the launch maps from Halo 3. Spending the bulk of my teens in matchmaking and forge mode on those maps. I’m not as familiar with some of the DLC maps. But areas like Valhalla, Sandtrap, Last Resort and the Pit? They were like home to me.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hyrule Field from Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I know pretty much every part of that game inside and out now, but the sense of wonder when getting out of Kokiri Forest and seeing the big sprawling field amazed me as a kid.

Nearly everything from Mario 64
Every part of every level except the flight stage opposite to Rainbow Ride

Clock Town from Majora’s Mask

Some VR stuff
And
The board from Tetris is unforgettable to me. I know every square in that 10x24 grid
It's actually 12x24.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Nearly everything from Mario 64
Every part of every level except the flight stage opposite to Rainbow Ride

Clock Town from Majora’s Mask

Some VR stuff
And
The board from Tetris is unforgettable to me. I know every square in that 10x24 grid
I was kidding when I said 12x24 but I just looked it up and it's actually 10x20, no joke. Guess you don't know every square as well as you thought you did.

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
There are several, from Ultima4 Britannia onward. The one of the most recent memorables has to be the so far explorable Zemuria from Liberl to Erebonia - with a little jaunt in Crossbell on the side. As sad it is, I probably know all the "Trails..." maps by heart, several replays not helping any either... :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, watching the first episode of the anime we were talking about last night