What would be a good programming language to learn if you're a beginner to programming?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 10,551
  • Replies 106

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
sarkwalvein I'm talking about the baseline syntax, you don't seem to get my point. Knowing basics of C/C++ gives you a head start in learning other languages in the future because they borrow the baseline structure, knowing VB is not the same in this regard. Being familiar with C/C++ syntax will make things like Java, JavaScript, C, Objective C, PHP or Pearl at least familiar, for a VB user they'll seem like Chinese.

This is not a matter of experience but a matter of overhead which is smaller in C since it's a simple language. I get your point, what I'm saying is that objects can be introduced later in the learning process rather than right out of the gate.
Experience does matter if we are talking about which language is better for learning. I could say C# is a terrible language to start with, but since I've barely used it. Even if I was right, I'd have no business making that claim because I'd be talking out of my ass.

A large benefit of Java as a learning language is the wonderful documentation integration in Eclipse. You just click a function and in a lower box it shows you the syntax and examples.

PS: Eating lunch with my family so it'll be an hour or two before I can respond. I'm getting a glare from my brother.

Reactions: Deleted User

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sarkwalvein JoostinOnline I think I can see where we got off the wrong foot now, I understand your points, so let me explain. There is a difference between learning and actively using something - I think every programmer should learn basics of C, the syntax (how to create loops, conditional statements, structures, arrays etc.) but to use C in today's climate would be complete busy work. You misunderstand what I'm saying, I'm not calling for people to go back to the command line, that's insane. I'm talking about learning ubiquitous concepts of C and applying that knowledge in learning a modern language, not to actively use C - it's too impractical for that.
Hey, don't put down C as a useful language. It's a brilliant language and still very much practical.

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
My general suggestion to anyone is to start with Java. But there might be reasons to chose something else depending on what you mainly are going to do... if you are to make software (not games) for Windows I don't believe anything has a convenience advantage over C#. The differences between the three Java, C# and C++ aren't that big and if you know one you can learn all three.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Learning programming languages is like dating women if you are a terrible person.

First you find an easy one, just to have some fun and get practice. Learn the basics, get some tips from your friends who've tried it out too, and maybe even come up with a few tricks of your own. Once you've been up in there and learned all the secrets, you abandon it, but tell some other newbies about your experiences with an easy way to get started.

Next, you start looking for something long term. You can look on your own, or have some friends set you up. Maybe even test out two or three on different nights of the week. Just don't mix them up, that won't end well. See which ones can do all the things you like, and is ready to serve your needs.

Eventually you'll find one that you love. It might not be perfect, and sometimes you may get angry with it, but it's great enough that you'll never want to use something else. That doesn't mean you'll never get any other-language-action on the side, but that's just temporary. You'll always come back to the language you love.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Learning programming languages is like dating women if you are a terrible person.

First you find an easy one, just to have some fun and get practice. Learn the basics, get some tips from your friends who've tried it out too, and maybe even come up with a few tricks of your own. Once you've been up in there and learned all the secrets, you abandon it, but tell some other newbies about your experiences with an easy way to get started.

Next, you start looking for something long term. You can look on your own, or have some friends set you up. Maybe even test out two or three on different nights of the week. Just don't mix them up, that won't end well. See which ones can do all the things you like, and is ready to serve your needs.

Eventually you'll find one that you love. It might not be perfect, and sometimes you may get angry with it, but it's great enough that you'll never want to use something else. That doesn't mean you'll never get any other-language-action on the side, but that's just temporary. You'll always come back to the language you love.
That is the weirdest analogy you could've possibly come up with. It's also exactly right lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Glad I bought a card reader type c and usb A makes life easy
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i download movies on my PC that is connected to my living room tv.
    Monitors are too small for my bad eyesight so I use my main tv and wirelss keyboard and wireless trackball mouse.
    I tried wireless transfer on phone before and yes, it's garbage. lol. So sloooooooooowwwwww.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New south park was not really that funny.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i heard modern south park is too serious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did it hurt your feelings?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Some are still funny, but they always try to use a subject matter related to something going on today.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All you need is one dose of Lizzo to make yourself feel better
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Who tf is lizzo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They always make valid points on that show and it goes over people's heads over sensitivity reasons
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @BigOnYa i mean south park did that way back in the day too
    +2
    remember the Michael Jackson episodes?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or blaming the only jew in the show on 9/11 or having the police shoot the only black kid during a school shooting or saying Kanye a gay fish list goes on
    +2
    the gay fish thing was funny as fuck
    +1
    and i don't even follow or care about kanhye
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Everytime i hear that real song, i think of that episode, "I'm a Gay fish yal."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So was the way they showed how messed up the American health system was to get anything done
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont watch south park that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Old people driving was a funny one, like cars up on 2nd/3rd floors in houses. Had to shut down old country buffet to stop them.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBpKupfQEKE