What would be a good programming language to learn if you're a beginner to programming?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 10,543
  • Replies 106

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I quite assure you Java was loathed by basically everybody that had to maintain computers, give or take those making good money from virus cleanups, long before minecraft. Hate does not have to be unjustified.

Those aren't reasons not to use Java as a learning language. You (and many other people in this thread) keep seeming to think the title is "What would be a good programming language to use if you want to immediately distribute programs?" It's about learning, and Java is good for learning. I'm going to make the next part big so plenty of people will see it.

It doesn't matter if your Hello World app has security flaws.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Well I started with HTML5 but I dont know if I can call it a language so I would recomand you c or c++(beter of both to begin(they are diferent there isn't a better one)) but they are maybe a bit dificult for a beginer just don't begin with java or assembly
I would realy recomand you c++ and because you are canadian I admit that you speak french so I realy recomand you this site :
Learn c++ there

That's where I study currently. This, online tutorials on various websites and my book by Claude Dalaunoy. Also with opensource codes, trial and errors. Very important. Trying and keeping it until your code work is what leads to success.

Oh and I think Tomato do not speak french :D

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's where I study currently. This, online tutorials on various websites and my book by Claude Dalaunoy. Also with opensource codes, trial and errors. Very important. Trying and keeping it until your code work is what leads to success.

Oh and I think Tomato do not speak french :D

My bad there still are other good website to learn in english
THis two for example 1 and 2 wich is the official one

Reactions: Deleted User

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, I most definitely came to the conclusion, after reading all the comments on here that my brain is not only incapable of learning even the most rudimentary programming languages, but that it simply is not my forte, nor the right path for me to take :rofl: I tried, oh how I tried, big mistake. very big mistake.

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yup, I most definitely came to the conclusion, after reading all the comments on here that my brain is not only incapable of learning even the most rudimentary programming languages, but that it simply is not my forte, nor the right path for me to take :rofl: I tried, oh how I tried, big mistake. very big mistake.

With time perseverance you can achieved this no one is good in the begining exept somes but You can do it if you want to
personaly my bigest enemy is not that I'm bad but I'm realy lasy witch can be a quality in programing but sometime I'm just to lasy to code something ^^

Also, you could always just go with web development as a start ;)
http://www.manifoldjs.com/ <-- Would allow you to create apps for all platforms :)

He is rigth web developement is super easy and to begin it could be nice to learn HTML5+CSS+PHP+Javascript as I said it sound like many but they are one of the easiest I know and it is nice to begin with and won't be a pain in your head

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Those aren't reasons not to use Java as a learning language. You (and many other people in this thread) keep seeming to think the title is "What would be a good programming language to use if you want to immediately distribute programs?" It's about learning, and Java is good for learning. I'm going to make the next part big so plenty of people will see it.

It doesn't matter if your Hello World app has security flaws.

Though I would suggest Java over something like Basic I am not sure I can suggest it over other alternatives discussed. Indeed if we are going the aborted path/learn one language and switch to a real one later option then I would sooner suggest Scheme or something along those lines.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With time perseverance you can achieved this no one is good in the begining exept somes but You can do it if you want to
personaly my bigest enemy is not that I'm bad but I'm realy lasy witch can be a quality in programing but sometime I'm just to lasy to code something ^^

I dunno, man, there've been times where I was reduced to tears from sheer frustration at being unable to learn, much less retain what I learned, it was infuriating, the fact I failed the basic programming class twice is something that sort of unmotivated me from wanting to learn again.:wacko:

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I dunno, man, there've been times where I was reduced to tears from sheer frustration at being unable to learn, much less retain what I learned, it was infuriating, the fact I failed the basic programming class twice is something that sort of unmotivated me from wanting to learn again.

then learn another programing language with another website I know when i begin c++ I got complety bored of it because I took a bad website and I was not ready for it at the time so I could only recomand to try others things and never learn a programing language just to learn it but because you want to do something with it otherwise it is easy to get bored of it

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
then learn another programing language with another website I know when i begin c++ I got complety bored of it because I took a bad website and I was not ready for it at the time so I could only recomand to try others things and never learn a programing language just to learn it but because you want to do something with it otherwise it is easy to get bored of it

The motivation, finding it is something I struggle with a lot, I dunno, it just...sometimes I get conflicted on why I want to learn programming lol.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's okay, randomizer, programming isn't for everyone, but nothing is. I can't draw for shit, but I don't sweat it; just means that if I need art, I go to an artist who can hopefully understand my ramblings and crude drawings and make something that fits what I picture in my head.

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's okay, randomizer, programming isn't for everyone, but nothing is. I can't draw for shit, but I don't sweat it; just means that if I need art, I go to an artist who can hopefully understand my ramblings and crude drawings and make something that fits what I picture in my head.
True we can't be good at everything in the first but I think that if you realy want it you can,I'm a good dev and graphist ,I cook realy good but I just can't progress fast on guitar so I try like I can but I'm just not realy good at that^^
but i still progress slowly but I do

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
I've been getting into Java lately with my high school robotics team (we program in Java exclusively) but what I really started with was TI-BASIC in which I am thoroughly educated :P I made a version of Tetris for a TI-83 that I am so unbelievably proud of. :/

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've been getting into Java lately with my high school robotics team (we program in Java exclusively) but what I really started with was TI-BASIC in which I am thoroughly educated :P I made a version of Tetris for a TI-83 that I am so unbelievably proud of. :/

Yeah I had fun with it to ^^
in class sayin Yeah I'm working what could I do else ^^

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not so sure about that.
Not everybody needs to be able to drop down to assembly level but I would say everybody does need to be able to program as far as being able to take some inputs, do some maths on it and output it and the following 50 values to a CSV or something.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Along with everyone else, I'd recommend C/C++.
It's a bit rough to start out on, but it's worth it. You can use it for most things you'll need or want, it's efficient, and will probably always be useful. Java is okay, but only if you need something that will be easily cross-OS compatible.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I quite assure you Java was loathed by basically everybody that had to maintain computers, give or take those making good money from virus cleanups, long before minecraft. Hate does not have to be unjustified. Edit. Also http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/ThePerilsofJavaSchools.html which was from 2005.

Basic is easy, I am not about to argue otherwise. It is however a bad programming language from a lot of perspectives and the very last thing you want to be doing is unlearning bad habits. Equally if you can not keep your enthusiasm when using something like python then you picked the wrong first project.

"basically everybody that had to maintain computers", yeah, but people like that hate everything for good reasons when they're terrible. I'm talking about randoms on the internet who really don't know what they're talking about.
Back when I was learning java, it was hammered into me that it's got a very specific use-set : when you have a hundred different computer set-ups and need the same program to run on them all. (2002)

yeah, basic is like cannabis.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Ahhhh ok