What's everyones thoughts on the new firefox update

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
like I said above, you can install different version of firefox, old and new, official and nightlies, etc.
you can update one for gmail (if/when it will be required) and keep the other with all your addons for everyday use.

security wise it's probably not a good solution, but I seen a lot of users stuck on firefox 3.5 when they decided to change their release system and update like crazy.
people prefer staying on a below and known stable version than trying to update to see if things are still working or not. often, it still work, but a lot of things break too (dropped addons nobody care to save).

Last edited by Cyan,

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For now I'll continue with my switch to Chrome them, shame as I still prefer FF with all the "legacy" addons I had.

FF have really dropped the ball on this one as it was the reason I continued to use them as so far I've yet to find alternatives for allot of addons so I'll need to keep FF on the older version (not good for day to day use).
Use this instead. It is compatible with all your old Firefox stuff, and can be used instead of it. https://www.waterfoxproject.org/

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Standard boring generic looking flat design that everything seems to be now and broke classic theme restorer. Apparently can tweak the look with css instead, so I'll play with that, but if it can't look like classic Firefox then it can jog on.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's a bit of a tradeoff I guess. If you can deal with the loss of support for some plugins and the theme redesign yet again, it's significantly faster.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Someone suggested waterfox to me, but I don't know if all addons will be detecting it as compatible.
browsers have ID, and the browser's addon check it. If it's a different ID than expected the addon will not run.

I'll have to try, but I have a lot of addons to test with.

swabbo

Wot u doin readin dis m8?
Trophies
XP
Country
My computer isn't the best, actually it's rather quite shit (Bought a used PC 4 years ago for £70 in a newspaper and added 2GB of Ram and a £80 GPU)

Yet both Chrome and Firefox struggle to play YouTube videos in 480p, but Microsoft Edge can play them in 1080p60 without a hitch, it's just a shame when I boot into Linux Mint I can't use Microsoft Edge or I would :(

4b8f09a376195244c8f0d0007ac34ec1.png

Jhynjhiruu

Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't read everything, so IDK if someone else has said this, but I much prefer the old tab style - I find the new one too much like Edge, and my brain sees the edges as overhanging which annoys me.

Nightwish

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I haven't seen the new interface, but whatever, I don't really care and don't see it getting in the way of, you know, reading dumb shit on the web.
As to the breakage, it's sad, but needed for security and performance reasons. A single process browser is a real pain in the ass too often.
The missing addons are annoying, but the functionality can be gotten elsewhere, I'll live. uBlock and such are still first class citizens, unlike the competition, which is the most important thing.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Someone suggested waterfox to me, but I don't know if all addons will be detecting it as compatible.
browsers have ID, and the browser's addon check it. If it's a different ID than expected the addon will not run.

I'll have to try, but I have a lot of addons to test with.
You could try the Extended Support Release version of Firefox. It's still on 52, so should support all the old extensions, and will continue getting security updates until June 2018. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/

Reactions: Cyan

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Jumped on the extended support release, all my addons works and still get security updates. I couldn't even find a download of 56 anymore, but I guess it's better to be on the one that gets security updates anyway.

Wish they would just offer a classic look instead of trying to force whatever shitty design they come up with next.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
so the esr works fine with all your addons ?
great, I might do the jump too.

classic theme restorer, tabmixplus, tab groups, autocopy, and mine (automatic save folder) are the most important to me. but few little ones are very useful too.

Well, I have a full backup of the install and profiles I can restore if needed.

Last edited by Cyan,

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
so the esr works fine with all your addons ?
great, I might do the jump too.

classic theme restorer, tabmixplus, tab groups, autocopy, and mine (automatic save folder) are the most important to me. but few little ones are very useful too.

Well, I have a full backup of the install and profiles I can restore if needed.

Yeah. I use

Noscript
ublock origin
Classic theme restorer
Greasemonkey

All working fine on esr. Some showed in addons, but needed to be reinstalled before I could use, but didn't lose their settings.

Last edited by Armadillo,
Reactions: Cyan

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For people who don't know, there are two official stable builds of Firefox:
  1. The normal release (currently 57.0)
  2. The ESR (currently 52.5.0)
ESR allows you to stay on an old build of Firefox while receiving only security updates. For people who just cannot live without legacy addons, I recommend using the ESR build for the time being. It will be supported with security updates until Summer 2018, when the ESR build will be updated to v59, and legacy addons will stop working with it too.

Edit: I also want to point out that the speed improvements of 57.0 are dramatic.

Last edited by Lacius,

AsPika2219

Pikachu going beach!
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Noscript is now updated into version 10 (Web Extension) and support Firefox 57 (Quantum) right now!

Waiting for Flashgot, Download Them All etc... will support web extension version. Still under testing mode!

Rigle

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I switched from Chrome when it was released and, to be honest, I feel it really smooth.
Also I've installed HTTPS Everywhere, uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I switched from Chrome when it was released and, to be honest, I feel it really smooth.
Also I've installed HTTPS Everywhere, uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger.
My understanding is that a lot of the lists in uBlock Origin do what Privacy Badger does.

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
I hate how Mozilla is pushing their idea of what UX should be rather than gathering feedback. This update breaks what's really important for me, and that's a layout that I don't hate. Classic Theme Restorer can't be used.

While everything can be restored using .css files, the status bar at the bottom of the window can't. Sad.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill