Homebrew Question What's the difference between the new Tinfoil 1.0 and Goldleaf?

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This mentioned it all. There's not much difference between Tinfoil and Goldleaf if not the developers of each one of them, but keep in mind Goldleaf is more close to the source material, which is the first Tinfoil.
Due to community support, I would opt choosing Goldleaf because it's open source as well (even if it's still not as friendly as Tinfoil).

This is not true. Comparing Tinfoil to Goldleaf is like comparing apples to grapes. Superficially, they may be similar (they both install NSP's), but they go about it completely differently, they are night and day different. The screenshots posted above do not illustrate the difference. There is a huge difference between the two apps, and it is not just the GUI.

I think goldleaf is good, because it is more simple / lightweight / easier to mess around with a few NSP's. Tinfoil is much more advanced, but also more complex.

I would argue that Goldleaf is closer to the original tinfoil than Tinfoil TM is, due to its simplicity. However goldleaf is also getting more advanced, but in other ways. I am a bit concerned for both of our apps over feature bloat. I think in some ways, we both should spin off some stuff into separate applications. It is a complex situation.

Last edited by blawar,

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is not true. Comparing Tinfoil to Goldleaf is like comparing apples to grapes. Superficially, they may be similar (they both install NSP's), however after that, they are night and day different. The screenshots posted above do not illustrate the difference. There is a huge difference between the two apps, and it is not just the GUI.

Well, let me see the internals:

upload_2019-1-3_13-7-32.png

Oh right, i cant, its closed source.

Loke

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is not true. Comparing Tinfoil to Goldleaf is like comparing apples to grapes. Superficially, they may be similar (they both install NSP's), but they go about it completely differently, they are night and day different. The screenshots posted above do not illustrate the difference. There is a huge difference between the two apps, and it is not just the GUI.

I think goldleaf is good, because it is more simple / lightweight / easier to mess around with a few NSP's. Tinfoil is much more advanced, but also more complex.

I would argue that Goldleaf is closer to the original tinfoil than Tinfoil TM is, due to its simplicity. However goldleaf is also getting more advanced, but in other ways. I am a bit concerned for both of our apps over feature bloat. I think in some ways, we both should spin off some stuff into separate applications. It is a complex situation.

You forgot to mention the huge difference.

XorTroll

Switching between my 2DS and my Switch
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Not trying to criticize Tinfoil (new one) in any aspects, but it seems like a tool specially focused on piracy.

I mean, just take a look at our screenshots: Tinfoil seems like an app made to install games, updates, DLCs and nothing else, while Goldleaf's aim is not to focus JUST on installation, but on other aspects.
I'm not talking about the contents, but on the aims or the focuses of both apps.

Of course Goldleaf can and will be used for piracy, but it can be used for more things, and Tinfoil too, but for a neutral user who comes to our repositories and watches the information and screenshots, DZ/Tinfoil really does look more like an only/piracy tool than Goldleaf. (in my opinion)

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You forgot to mention the huge difference.

I did not mention the huge differences because I do not feel it is appropriate for me to do so. I really prefer people just try both apps, and use the tool they feel better suits their needs. Goldleaf just released a few days ago, so I do not think it is fair to XorTroll to compare it to a mature application. Goldleaf will get better with time.

At the same time, I would be lying if I said I didn't find it annoying when people minimize the differences, like the screenshots posted by @ScarletDreamz . Some people minimize on purpose, sometimes it is more innocuous as I believe in Scarlet's case.

Last edited by blawar,

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did not mention the huge differences because I do not feel it is appropriate for me to do so. I really prefer people just try both apps, and use the tool they feel better suits their needs. Goldleaf just released a few days ago, so I do not think it is fair to XorTroll to compare it to a mature application. Goldleaf will get better with time.

At the same time, I would be lying if I said I didn't find it annoying when people minimize the differences, like the screenshots posted by @ScarletDreamz . Some people minimize on purpose, sometimes it is more innocent as I believe in Scarlet's case.
The thing is, you cant offer a "different usage / different system" if you cant prove or show it, Its more an act of fate.

I mean, the standard and most common use of both tools are the NSP installation. nothing more, nothing less. to each their own, however, sadly you cant argue that "X" application has more than "Z", if "X" does not prove or show the difference.

I don't know the drama behind the renaming issue and whatsoever, or do care, but, stating that "X" its different from "Z" without actual proof, its just not fair for both applications.

Both tools are used to install NSP, and that will be ALWAYS the most common usage of the tools, so for that, sadly you will need to prove that yours its different in someway. not just say it.

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not trying to criticize Tinfoil (new one) in any aspects, but it seems like a tool specially focused on piracy.

I mean, just take a look at our screenshots: Tinfoil seems like an app made to install games, updates, DLCs and nothing else, while Goldleaf's aim is not to focus JUST on installation, but on other aspects.
I'm not talking about the contents, but on the aims or the focuses of both apps.

Of course Goldleaf can and will be used for piracy, but it can be used for more things, and Tinfoil too, but for a neutral user who comes to our repositories and watches the information and screenshots, DZ/Tinfoil really does look more like an only/piracy tool than Goldleaf. (in my opinion)

While I disagree about being a piracy app, you are correct that Tinfoil TM is focused on title installation (or more accurately title management). I didn't even want to add a file browser, but it became mandatory for debugging and cleanup purposes. From the onset, I have tried to focus on one thing and do that one thing well. I am having an internal struggle with scope creep currently.

Mthodmn101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Your apps do the same thing... just cause yours has more bloat doesnt make it more or less a piracy app in the end. Depends on how the end user ends up using them.

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing is, you cant offer a "different usage / different system" if you cant prove or show it, Its more an act of fate.

I mean, the standard and most common use of both tools are the NSP installation. nothing more, nothing less. to each their own, however, sadly you cant argue that "X" application has more than "Z", if "X" does not prove or show the difference.

I don't know the drama behind the renaming issue and whatsoever, or do care, but, stating that "X" its different from "Z" without actual proof, its just not fair for both applications.

Both tools are used to install NSP, and that will be ALWAYS the most common usage of the tools, so for that, sadly you will need to prove that yours its different in someway. not just say it.

Tinfoil is better than Goldleaf when it comes to very large libraries of NSP's. I suspect this is what XorTroll is hinting at when he labels it a piracy app.

1a) Goldleaf does not index NSP's, you literally must browse to each file on the file system, and install it. This makes it initially easier for the user, but also tedious. Goldleaf does not provide any meta data about the files other than the title and publisher / NACP data. It is dead simple, browse to a file, click on it to install.
1b) Tinfoil indexes all of the NSP's. you provide it a list of directories to search in, it scans all of them, determines which ones are updates, dlc, or games, separates determines which titles you do not have installed, and shows you only stuff you dont have installed in 3 simple lists: games, updates, and DLC. Also gives you options to automatically install all DLC and updates with titles with a single click. It shows metadata: screenshots, game artwork, text descriptions, hero images, etc. The table lists shows the title version, region, size, and release date.

2a) Goldleaf is not localized / translated.
2b) Tinfoil is translated into ~13 different languages.

3a) Goldleaf does not sort files.
3b) Tinfoil has many sorting options.

4a) Goldleaf's UI is clunky / not smooth. There isnt a dig at Goldleaf, as every single homebrew app except hblauncher, sx rom menu, and tinfoil has a clunky UI. For example, try browsing a lot of titles in the latest checkpoint, it induces motion sickness.
4b) Tinfoil has the best UI in the scene, it is not even close. Its smooth, beautiful, and looks and behaves more like a native app.

5a) Goldleaf does not support searching.
5b) Tinfoil does supports searches filers on: text, region, language, category, content rating, esrb, and player count.

6a) Goldleaf does not support queuing installs.
6b) Tinfoil supports queuing installs, you can queue up as much stuff as you want and it all installs in turn.

7a) Goldleaf is slow to install.
7b) Tinfoil is fast.

8a) Goldleaf is not safe, it does not protect you from fake / malicious applications that could steal your personal info or brick you.
8b) Tinfoil blocks all code not signed by nintendo by default, and will protect users from malicious applications unless they enter a code to disable it.

9a) Goldleaf does not support network installs.
9b) Tinfoil supports network installs from FTP, HTTP, and Nut servers, even across the internet.

10a) Goldleaf's USB install is slow.
11a) Tinfoil's USB install is fast.

11a) Goldleaf only has one theme, and doesnt support any more.
11b) Tinfoil supports light and dark themes, plus has support for 100% custom user supplied themes.

Goldleaf does have some features that are not related to title management, that tinfoil does not have, such as custom horizon theme installation, and displaying certain kinds of text files. The hex viewer is really cool, I plan to copy that feature though.

There are lots of other subtle differences, that you wont fully appreciate unless you actually use both apps.

Like I said earlier in this thread, the reasons to use Goldleaf are: a) You absolutely must have an open source application or b) You want a dead stupid simple title installer and you do not have a large collection of NSP's.

edit: I would like to mention that Choidejure's UI is probably the second best UI in the scene, however there is not a lot of complexity in it, and it does not look like a native switch app. I suspect he used a third party windowing library, and that is fine. I just personally prefer homebrew that does not look like homebrew :)

Last edited by blawar,

XorTroll

Switching between my 2DS and my Switch
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Tinfoil is better than Goldleaf when it comes to very large libraries of NSP's. I suspect this is what XorTroll is hinting at when he labels it a piracy app.

1a) Goldleaf does not index NSP's, you literally must browse to each file on the file system, and install it. This makes it initially easier for the user, but also tedious. Goldleaf does not provide any meta data about the files other than the title and publisher / NACP data. It is dead simple, browse to a file, click on it to install.
1b) Tinfoil indexes all of the NSP's. you provide it a list of directories to search in, it scans all of them, determines which ones are updates, dlc, or games, separates determines which titles you do not have installed, and shows you only stuff you dont have installed in 3 simple lists: games, updates, and DLC. Also gives you options to automatically install all DLC and updates with titles with a single click. It shows metadata: screenshots, game artwork, text descriptions, hero images, etc. The table lists shows the title version, region, size, and release date.

4a) Goldleaf's UI is clunky / not smooth. There isnt a dig at Goldleaf, as every single homebrew app except hblauncher, sx rom menu, and tinfoil has a clunky UI. For example, try browsing a lot of titles in the latest checkpoint, it induces motion sickness.
4b) Tinfoil has the best UI in the scene, it is not even close. Its smooth, beautiful, and looks and behaves more like a native app.

5b) Tinfoil does supports searches filers on: text, region, language, category, content rating, esrb, and player count.

6b) Tinfoil supports queuing installs, you can queue up as much stuff as you want and it all installs in turn.

7b) Tinfoil is fast.

8a) Goldleaf is not safe, it does not protect you from fake / malicious applications that could steal your personal info or brick you.
8b) Tinfoil blocks all code not signed by nintendo by default, and will protect users from malicious applications unless they enter a code to disable it.

9b) Tinfoil supports network installs from FTP, HTTP, and Nut servers, even across the internet.

11b) Tinfoil supports light and dark themes, plus has support for 100% custom user supplied themes.

Goldleaf does have some features that are not related to title management, that tinfoil does not have, such as custom horizon theme installation, and displaying certain kinds of text files. The hex viewer is really cool, I plan to copy that feature though.

There are lots of other subtle differences, that you wont fully appreciate unless you actually use both apps.

Like I said earlier in this thread, the reasons to use Goldleaf are: a) You absolutely must have an open source application or b) You want a dead stupid simple title installer and you do not have a large collection of NSP's.

edit: I would like to mention that Choidejure's UI is probably the second best UI in the scene, however there is not a lot of complexity in it, and it does not look like a native switch app. I suspect he used a third party windowing library, and that is fine. I just personally prefer homebrew that does not look like homebrew :)
I can see that you're really coherent and respectful according to what you've said earlier.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

7b) Tinfoil is fast.

Now here is a GOOD description, see, its different than stating that your its better without explaining it.

cbloveday

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was trying them both out but so far I can't use Tinfoil because everytime I load it up it freezes on the main screen. With Goldleaf I can use it but it gives me an error on a lot of my nsp files. If these are user error please point me in the right direction. I really like the UI of both but for the most part that's as far as I've gotten and have had to continue use of the old tinfoil.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gay history is serious +1