what's the worst possible way to hack a dsi?

Deleted member 591971

OP
Trophies
XP
by bricking it I guess? Not sure what you mean by "worst possible way"
Most difficult/tedious process to install Unlaunch on a DSi. I know that flipnote lenny i think it was super annoying because i had to press the copy button like 126 times exactly, and then i had to do that 3 times because my dsi sd card slot is dead, now i do not have the dsi anymore.
Post automatically merged:

If you know how to do it, understanding that there are possible risks (but rare) such as bricking as mentioned, then you should be fine.
im risk tolerant.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Worst means many things in discussions like this.

Most aggravation to do.

Worst end results -- some of the earlier methods had limited abilities to access hardware. No great equivalents to some of the Switch things today where different firmwares might mean something, or like the 360 DVD vs JTAG/RGH, or 3ds firmware mods vs various flash cart offerings.

Most chance of bricking. Most of the time it is a short window in which you could screw something up if you tried hard.

What is needed to be installed, and what revisions of software are needed to be on could also factor into this. This would be older things like the cycloDS and older homebrew exploits in downloadable games that variously got blocked, patched or removed compared to modern stuff.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Most difficult/tedious process to install Unlaunch on a DSi. I know that flipnote lenny i think it was super annoying because i had to press the copy button like 126 times exactly, and then i had to do that 3 times because my dsi sd card slot is dead, now i do not have the dsi anymore.
Perform the DSi Camera exploit instead.

Deleted member 591971

OP
Trophies
XP
Worst means many things in discussions like this.

Most aggravation to do.

Worst end results -- some of the earlier methods had limited abilities to access hardware. No great equivalents to some of the Switch things today where different firmwares might mean something, or like the 360 DVD vs JTAG/RGH, or 3ds firmware mods vs various flash cart offerings.

Most chance of bricking. Most of the time it is a short window in which you could screw something up if you tried hard.

What is needed to be installed, and what revisions of software are needed to be on could also factor into this. This would be older things like the cycloDS and older homebrew exploits in downloadable games that variously got blocked, patched or removed compared to modern stuff.
all of them. Most chances of bricking and worst end results.

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
The most difficult way would definitely be via hardmodding, as that would require soldering directly to test points on the motherboard to read the NAND chip. But I wouldn't call it the "worst way" as, if you can successfully read/write to the NAND, you'll always be able to recover from a brick that corrupts sysNAND.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Deleted member 591971

OP
Trophies
XP
If you say so, but it does happen.
Post automatically merged:

There's no need to act hostile.
oh sorry, im a lilttle angry right now, i didn't sleep well but whatever, im bad mentally. Also i had a lot of problem with that DSi
With a chainsaw?
That remembered me of someone hacking a gameboy with a silver play button
The most difficult way would definitely be via hardmodding, as that would require soldering directly to test points on the motherboard to read the NAND chip. But I wouldn't call it the "worst way" as, if you can successfully read/write to the NAND, you'll always be able to recover from a brick that corrupts sysNAND.
ah yes, the most expensive, most difficult method to mod a dsi but it gives you full access over hardware.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
oh sorry, im a lilttle angry right now, i didn't sleep well but whatever, im bad mentally. Also i had a lot of problem with that DSi
It's okay, I do feel for you. But just remember to take it easy and don't get angry over small things. We make mistakes all of time, especially me. If you feel like you can't get things right, such as the DSi you've just mentioned, then it's best to leave it and come back for it another day until you get it right.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Besides medieval physical tools style hacking, maybe install/uninstall an outdated unlaunch.

Hardmod is probably the riskiest serious answer.
Very much, as it is certainly not for the novice user. Softmodding is the way to go.

Last edited by SylverReZ,

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Use it as a mini-barbecue for grilling grasshoppers, cockroaches or other such delicacies.

EMO_0578.gif
che schifo.gif

NotImpLife

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Romania
One of the worst ways is not understanding the things you are doing. I modded my DSi back in 2018 when I barely knew any English to follow a damn tutorial. I was just randomly trying files, programs and versions of Unlaunch and HBMenu until somehow everything worked out. I remember about a tool that could rewrite the NAND (not fwtool, is was called something else) despite it stated clearly that doing so is unsafe and could potentially brick the console. I tried it anyway and seemed to be the only method that worked for me (yeah, I wanted Zelda Four Swords that badly as a kid :) ). Years later I was language literate enough to learn about HiyaCFW and then modding went unexpectedly easy. But still, it's a great miracle my DSi is still alive today :yaynds:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol