What's with all of these bosses with a head and two hands?

Deleted member 110780

WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying that Andross was the first, but for classification purposes only, I'm sick of Andross clones. Here are games that I've played that included one:
Star Fox
Star Fox 64
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Super Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Wind Waker
Super Smash Bros Melee (no head)

Are there any others? What is the reason for these bosses existing?

Dwight

Gawb. Gawb Bluth.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's with all the bosses who have actual bodies?
Megaman
Mario
Every game in existence

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Donkey Kong on the GameBoy (aka Donkey Kong'95) - final boss fight (and man, what an awesome game
wub.gif
).
And a shitload of other games...This specific type of boss is way overused, but still fun in most cases.

Deleted member 110780

WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dwight said:
Megaman
Mario
Every game in existence

There's no need for that attitude. I was curious if there was a cultural reason for why there are bosses that only constitute of one head and two hands. I'm pretty sick of it and it's getting old.

As for Mega Man, there are too many mediocre bosses ending in -Man. We don't need 20 water bosses.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
[Cynic mode]
Have a search for anthropomorphism
[/Cynic mode]

@Dwight I am pretty sure I have faced off against a ghost and computer virus at one point.

j5c077

some old guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dwight said:
Megaman
Mario
Every game in existence

i loled

Flawsdraw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
LOL it's like saying what's the point of a football game where they kick a football it's SOOOO over used its like 2 main football games every year and they still use FOOTBALLS.... dude it's a boss, I don't even care what it looks like, heck i'd even play Zelda if link looked like tinkerbell from peter pan as long as its a good game im happy

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The answer is: the homunculus.

800px-Sensory_and_motor_homunculi.jpg

Bosses aren't the only characters consisting of a huge head loosely attached to a pair of huge floating fists. Look at Rayman, Sonic, Mickey Mouse... Many cartoon/game characters have disproportionately huge hands, feet and heads, on tiny, placeholder, "for the sake of appearances" bodies. They represent the "essence" of our awareness of our physical body: the (loco)motor and sensory system, represented by the huge hands (manipulators) and feet (locomotors and/or tactile sensors), and the enormous head (eyes being our primary sensory input).

A boss consists of things to grab and pounds us with (hands), and a huge head with huge eyes (all the better to see us with) and teeth (all the better to eat us with); they are the essence of a melee enemy, and everything else is secondary and can be ignored. And since an enemy boss may well be spooky, there's no need to keep up appearances, and no need for a body. Everyone knows disembodied body parts floating around are spooky.

happy.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
And anyway, that huge floating head and huge floating hands thing, Toki did it first! All those other games you mentioned are just lame unoriginal crap!

Just kidding.
wink.gif

EDIT: No, really. I'm kidding. Toki was made in '89, some of the games mentioned were made in '81.

Deleted member 110780

WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
The answer is: the homunculus.

800px-Sensory_and_motor_homunculi.jpg

Bosses aren't the only characters consisting of a huge head loosely attached to a pair of huge floating fists. Look at Rayman, Sonic, Mickey Mouse... Many cartoon/game characters have disproportionately huge hands, feet and heads, on tiny, placeholder, "for the sake of appearances" bodies. They represent the "essence" of our awareness of our physical body: the (loco)motor and sensory system, represented by the huge hands (manipulators) and feet (locomotors and/or tactile sensors), and the enormous head (eyes being our primary sensory input).

A boss consists of things to grab and pounds us with (hands), and a huge head with huge eyes (all the better to see us with) and teeth (all the better to eat us with); they are the essence of a melee enemy, and everything else is secondary and can be ignored. And since an enemy boss may well be spooky, there's no need to keep up appearances, and no need for a body. Everyone knows disembodied body parts floating around are spooky.

happy.gif
Thank you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.yankodesign.com/2024/06/06/cooler-masters-new-pc-cases-look-like-something-out-of-a-m...