When Are You "Too Old" For Something?

Can you ever truly be "too old" for something?

• Total voters

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Too old for Studio Ghibli? No one is EVER too old for Studio Ghibli! ;) Generally when it comes to films/TV/games the same applies.
However, I'm 38yo... yesterday I took the lads to buy a new football (not the hand egg variety by the way US members :P ) then called off at a local park to have a kick about with on the way home. Playing the footy I have no problems with, but I had to resist the temptation of showing them what to do on the swings/monkey bars etc, coz really I'd say I'm too old for that... Plus there was a fit piece in the park with her daughter and the monkey bars are a half circle shape, which I was gonna walk over minus holding on ....didn't want to slip and destroy my bollocks in front of her :lol:

Er, anyway, I voted no, as the subject seems to be geared more towards movies & games... in this case, if anyone says you're too old for xxx cartoon then really you should feel sorry for them. ;)

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Personally, I feel like there is no concrete definition of being too old to do things.

Because there isn't. For example, would your friend have a problem with going back and play Super Mario Bros. 3? No. I mean, there are some things that you get passed the age of, stuffed teddy bears you sleep with, dolls, santa clause. But otherwise, it's all fair game, especially in the terms of Anime. Hell I'm 24, And I watch anime. It's like music. People will make fun of you for listening to a song sung by a female singer. But when you get older. It doesn't matter who sings the song. As long as the song is good, you're gonna listen to it.

But that's not say all things follow suit, granted things like Sailor Moon is more of a girls show (really, would you watch things like Gilmore Girls?). It depends on the things. Now keep in mind I didn't read all of your post, but still. Things like Anime like Princess Mononoke, those are films/shows that are meant to be enjoyed by everyone.

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
I still watch some older Anime ex:Tenchi and I'm 30, still enjoy certain games also. I'll give it up once I stop enjoying it.

edit: But I had to vote yes to the poll just because of how it is worded, you can be to old for some things like a baby seat:P

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
I think people who regard themselves 'Too old for things' are stuck in a little box surrounding them with four corners of boring maturity.
I think some people like to place age onto a stereotypical shelf and become what is supposedly expected of their age. Hey that's sensible and grown up right? But meh..you can still have a little fun and childish excitement in your life by playing on a console you haven't touched since you were 10, or watching the latest Studio Ghibli release. I wouldn't pin point Studio Ghibli as a child's thing anyway. A lot of them are very real in that they present you life and death, something a lot of famous cartoon movie makers don't really do.

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this really such a shift, though? I mean...
1) Animated cartoons are still pretty common in the United States, especially if we group in "CG animation" here.
2) Gaming on the go is more popular with older crowds than ever before. They just game from the convenience of their phones/tablets more often than not.
3) College students love their animated films without a hint of irony, from movies like The Lion King to the Pixar stable. Shit, my university recently held a screening of The Lion King and had to change the venue because so many students were in attendance.
4) Adults love animation, too. There are tons of wildly successful animated shows geared towards adult audiences; Fox, a major network, has two entire scheduling blocks based around them. The Simpsons is often lauded as one of the greatest comedies ever created, animated or otherwise.
5) Let's not forget that Japan shits on "otaku" plenty, treating them with utter disdain and contempt.

I have no doubt that there are some differences, but the US' attitude isn't so far removed when you get down to it.

(Some people may condemn animation as being for children and babies only, but I think that's more on an individual basis, not a societal one.)

You're very right, which even further solidifies my point. My point was simply that every culture has their own ideas of what is/isn't childish. My examples were intentional because anime is something that the US is more likely to look negatively on, where as that is not the case in Japan. Likewise, as you said, tablets are totally acceptable because they are seen as adult-geared mini-computers; however, a 3DS is a handheld gaming console and it is a rare occasion to see an adult with one in public (in the US).

I'm sure Japan has certain things which are seen as more childish that Americans would consider normal, I just haven't found them yet. Anyway, suffice enough to say that every culture has their own expectations. There is no universal standard.

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think a person can be to old, but there are limits to what a person should/can do
Lets say there is a person who loves to sky dive but this person is over 80 years old. what then? is this person to old or not?

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
I bought a proper skateboard for the first time at 24 with my friend who bought some bauer skates and he was 23 at the time. We felt like we were a bit too old to start learning how to skate but we did it anyways and we had a laugh and it was fun, after that i realised you're never too old to do anything mentally, physically is the only time when you have to question your ability to do something. But in general, dont let your age effect what you wanna do, right now im approaching 30 now and i fully intend to buy pokemon and i went to a gaming convention last week and still plan to go to some cosplay events in the future. It makes me happy to do all this stuff and even when i hit 50 and im still into gaming, i wont care about going day one to buy the next pokemon or w/e game!

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I bought a proper skateboard for the first time at 24 with my friend who bought some bauer skates and he was 23 at the time. We felt like we were a bit too old to start learning how to skate but we did it anyways and we had a laugh and it was fun, after that i realised you're never too old to do anything mentally, physically is the only time when you have to question your ability to do something. But in general, dont let your age effect what you wanna do, right now im approaching 30 now and i fully intend to buy pokemon and i went to a gaming convention last week and still plan to go to some cosplay events in the future. It makes me happy to do all this stuff and even when i hit 50 and im still into gaming, i wont care about going day one to buy the next pokemon or w/e game!

Look at Tony Hawk, that guy was close to his 40's before he retired.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm nearly 22 and still watch Hamtaro/Hello Kitty/Invader Zim/Shaun the Sheep and other cartoons.
Hell I even wear Hello Kitty clothing.
Does it bother me?
No, I'm happy about it!
I cbf what people think about it.

You're never to old for things really.

Edit:
I have to agree with Twin tho.
Babyblocks and bite rings etc are best left to babies/toddlers.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
To me this is a question of definition. I voted NO because I think "too old to enjoy xyz" to this question, but I'll surely be too old to skateboard when I'm 90, at least due to physical limitations. But too old to enjoy games, cartoons, movies... nooo...

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I answered yes because , at least for me I know I can.
For example , I used to love Korn , they were my favorite band when they first hit the scene , well a couple days ago I had the option to see them for free and I passed it up.
I told my buddy , I'm told for that now , I don't have that sort of energy anymore . Maybe its because I have a wife and family now , I don't know.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I was just about to write about what air2004 mentions. Of course you can outgrow things, losing interest in stuff. But it doesn't mean you're too old to enjoy it. I also liked Korn when I was younger, but I've lost interest in them mainly because I don't find them particularly interesting as musicians.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things."

I'm not too sure how I feel about this quote, but it's one that's been on my mind recently.

RedCoreZero

Creativity is Power
Banned
Trophies
Website
Google.com
XP
Country
United States
There's a social norm for everything, and I think it's fairly acceptable to push those to a healthy limit before it becomes too weird. I like animated media as much as I like live acted media, as long as it's good - that goes for both sides.

Video games - if you enjoy it, you enjoy it. I've got no reservations about pulling my 3DS out in public whatsoever.

But bronies. God, man, that's pushing it to a limit that gets weird. There's something a bit unsettling about a bunch 20+ year old guys fawning over a little girl's cartoon.

Bitch I play with My Little Pony toys when I want!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hawaii played it smart and said we're too hot for this land