Hardware Which chip is the "best"?

matethemouse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just went online looking for shops selling wii with chip installed.
Which one of these is the best overall?
- D2Pro v. 2 (bad 'cause of it only been v.2 so I need a external device to update it so I need to buy one from the website for about $30 more)
- Argon SPI with Wasabus V2 firmware
- Wiikey
- Wiiktus or Wasabus V2 firmware with Infectus2 chip

matethemouse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
is wasabi and wasabus the same thing?

EDIT: Looks like it gonna be Infectus/Wiiktus since they are the same as wiikey and updateable with a usb
Any1 with a bad exp with Infectus/Wiiktus?

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
matethemouse said:

EDIT: Looks like it gonna be Infectus/Wiiktus since they are the same as wiikey and updateable with a usb

Argon and Infectus/2 both require an external programmer for updating. That is the reason you dismissed the D2Pro9 (which is partially DVD-updateable.)
Wasabi = chip
Wasabus = fw

podunk1269

Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Those potato skins things

Best chips ever!!!
grog.gif

what I couldn't resist

matethemouse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
gratefulbuddy said:
matethemouse said:

Argon and Infectus/2 both require an external programmer for re-flash. That is the reason you dismissed the D2Pro9 (which is partially DVD-updateable.)
Wasabi = chip
Wasabus = fw

is the Wiikey the only chip updateable fully with a dvd (or I'm wrong with this too?)

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Avoid getting a wiikey if you can get another chip. It's got a buggy patchy firmware with no GC audiofix, broken dl support and locks the drive to 3x.

matethemouse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
more questions about the whole update thing (the only thing bothering me). If I get a (let's say) Infectus does it mean that I have to open the wii to update every time or are there a usb stick outside wii which will be used?

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You may leave the flat cable plugged into the connector on the chip and somehow leave the other end accessible from the outside of the wii. Then to update, unplug power from the wii, plug in flat cable to injector, plug injector into pc via usb, then update.
D2Pro9 will allow you to do the most common and frequent updates via DVD and only needs to be plugged in (same as above) for major updates.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you leave the flat cable from the chip accessible from the outside of the wii, there won't be a need to open it for updates.

DING! (The lightbulb just went off in my head.) You said you are looking at pre-modded wiis, right? Which means you won't be able to route the flat cable without opening the wii first. I suggest looking for a wii pre-modded with a D2Pro9. That way you can put off opening up the wii for an update as long as possible.

YumYumSauce

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Wiikey and it hasn't let me down. I got it after the whole Super Mario Galaxy patch and I didn't really care about Super Smash Bros. Brawl so waiting for an update didn't bother me at all. I am kinda worried about Animal Crossing City Folk because it just seems like that is going to have an update, but I'll just burn that bridge when I get to it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6igvB1yR04A