Hacking Which Flash Cart Should I Get?

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
Sorry for my ignorance. Know lots about the Wii hack scene but little to nothing about DS and just bought a DSi for my son. So, what's the difference between R4iDS and R4iDSN? There are so many R4... that it's really confusing.

I just bought this one http://nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=149 , should be OK, right?

Thanks for your help.

Good choice.

domiankrey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I already have a EZ Flash IV for my GBA SP.

Now a friend of mine will give me his DS Lite. Therefore now I want a Flashcard for my NDS. If it is only playing DS Games does not matter because I will steel keep my EZ Flash IV and my GBA Sp.

domiankrey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
-Is there any advantgae or disadvantage if I take the R4?

-Which one would you suggest?

-Where can I (as a European/German) buy one?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
-Is there any advantgae or disadvantage if I take the R4?
The original R4 will never work on the DSi or 3DS, and can only use a 2GB or less MicroSD. The Acekard 2.1 and R4i Gold and other carts can take 4GB and up so they're often what people choose now.

-Which one would you suggest?
An Acekard 2.1 or R4i Gold, simply for the ability to have 4GB or more space.

-Where can I (as a European/German) buy one?
The same sites as most people, since you'll have to import. zhuzhuchina.com, nds-card.com, etc.

Also don't fall for the fakes. The DS is region-free, anything claiming to be "R4i Gold EU" is a fake. Make sure the site printed on the cart/box matches the ones in the first post. If it doesn't it's a fake/clone.

domiankrey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
nds-card.com only supports Visa but I only have Mastercard and Paypal. I would prefer Paypal, is there any shop which supports it (and if there isnt any is there a shop which supports Mastercard)

Kabu The Fox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i noticed on some of the sites posted in the orginal post theres flash carts for 3ds that fully support it or "perfectly supports the 3ds"
are these claims true?

TackyPie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i noticed on some of the sites posted in the orginal post theres flash carts for 3ds that fully support it or "perfectly supports the 3ds"
are these claims true?

It means flashcarts such as the DSTWO and the R4i Gold 3DS can work fine on the 3DS it doesnt mean that there is a 3DS flashcard that supports 3DS roms.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
are these claims true?
Yes.

They're not saying it runs 3DS ROMs though. They're just wording it oddly so you buy it anyways.

domiankrey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
My DS Lite is here but unfortunately the R4i Gold was shipped agay 3days ago which means its gonna take a while. But I still have my EZ Flash IV to play GBA Games.
If I want to play SNES Games with it, can I do it with the EZ Flash IV or do I have to wait for the R4i gold?

If I start playing the rom on my PC, can I transfer the savegame to my R4i Gold?

ShadowNeko003

~Nyah~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The R4i Gold 3DS uses Wood Firmware correct? Is it easy to update, like with the old R4, you just put the firmware in the SD? Is the kernal easy to update too? (you update it by running it on the 3DS correct?)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The R4i Gold 3DS uses Wood Firmware correct? Is it easy to update, like with the old R4, you just put the firmware in the SD? Is the kernal easy to update too? (you update it by running it on the 3DS correct?)
Yes Wood is easy to update. Wood is the kernel.

Firmware is what does 3DS compatibility, and yes it's easy to update, you put a file on the SD and run it (you NEED to run it like it was a game).

Reactions: ShadowNeko003

Miyek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so im pretty new to all this and plan on getting the dstwo (from your sponsor site of course) if i'm understanding right, all i need to worry about is not letting the system update till i can update the cart first, but to update the cart do i need to use my computer or can i do it straight from the 3ds using wifi? anyway thanks for all the threads chock full of info

ShadowNeko003

~Nyah~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just ordered a R4i Gold from nds-card.

I'm glancing at the patch (to get an idea) and so I would use the NDSi file if I accidentally updated the 3DS without updating the card first. And this would require another DS.

The NDSL file is what I would use if I didn't update the 3DS firmware to the latest.

So after updating the cart, it would be safe to update to the latest 3DS ofw?

Thanks for your help Rydian.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
so im pretty new to all this and plan on getting the dstwo (from your sponsor site of course) if i'm understanding right, all i need to worry about is not letting the system update till i can update the cart first, but to update the cart do i need to use my computer or can i do it straight from the 3ds using wifi? anyway thanks for all the threads chock full of info
Yes always wait for the cart to update first (so turn off streetpass and spotpass and all automatic downloads on the 3DS).

You will need a PC to download the firmware update file and put it on the MicroSD, then it updates from the 3DS.

So I just ordered a R4i Gold from nds-card.

I'm glancing at the patch (to get an idea) and so I would use the NDSi file if I accidentally updated the 3DS without updating the card first. And this would require another DS.

The NDSL file is what I would use if I didn't update the 3DS firmware to the latest.

So after updating the cart, it would be safe to update to the latest 3DS ofw?

Thanks for your help Rydian.
The difference between the NDS and DSi files are that the NDS one waits for a cart swap, while the DSi one does not.

This means the NDS one can be used to unbrick another cart, while the DSi one cannot, but the DSi one works properly on the DSi/3DS (since cart swap does not work on them).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I never use it