Who hosts GBAtemp?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 6,531
  • Replies 55
D

Deleted User

OP
Who hosts GBAtemp and how much does it cost? I have been looking for a new host.

How much space and bandwidth do you get? Do you have VPS/Dedicated server? How do you get the money to keep this going?

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
You will find out sooner than you think
lecture.gif

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Prime said:
gizmo_gal said:
If you guys get unlimited Bandwith...why is it that the site often goes down?

Many times GBATemp fails me for anywhere from 20 minutes to several hours on end...

Because Costello randomly restarts the server :/
Oh...

(Why does he randomly restart it?
unsure.gif
I had though sure it was for maintenance, but if he's doing it randomly then, ugh...thats odd. )

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
it's random to him because he doesn't know why costello restarts the server. This usually occurs as a result of ensuring that small changes made by costello take effect.

Votkrath

Trophies
XP
Country
If he wants to make a new DS site, then let him, why complain? - Just leave him alone and let him make his site... and myself, I doubt GBAtemp was the first one neither.
smile.gif

But yeah, I totally agree on: "Why not help contribute to GBAtemp's User-Submitted news and User-submitted Scene releases?" that JPH wrote.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Prime said:
gizmo_gal said:
If you guys get unlimited Bandwith...why is it that the site often goes down?

Many times GBATemp fails me for anywhere from 20 minutes to several hours on end...

Because Costello randomly restarts the server :/

Actually, it's down for a while because he's trying to solve whatever problems arose without restarting the server/

D

Deleted User

OP
actually he is not always restarting the server it's self it is usually restarting Apache after he has made some change to Apache or PHP, and it requires a restarting of the service to take effect.

@ FAST6191

Yes you do have some valid points, but not all of this is aimed at GBAtemp. The release list part is mostly aimed at DS-Scene.net which is pretty much all they ever post anymore, and that's why I left that site.

The product advertising and general clogging up of random news vaguely related to the DS is aimed at DCEmu which is the biggest reason I left DCEmu.

@ Costello

I wouldn't spend the extra money on anything if I were you. Use it as emergency cash.

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
TeenDev said:
shaunj66 said:
GBAtemp is hosted on its own powerful dedicated server at OVH in France. OVH are very good hosts, but are based in France, while they do have English portals and web interfaces, you might want to look into a host that's based in the USA if that's where you're from.

Our hosting isn't cheap (over 100 EUROS / 160 USD) a month, but we have unlimited bandwidth and complete access to the server.

The hosting is paid for by our Recommended Sites on the portal who in exchange get those little banner ads in various places, but they are so small barely anyone even notices them. They fund our hosting, taxes, shipping, other bills and more. Although, this hasn't always been the case and not too long ago everything was paid for out of our own pockets.

(...)

This is basically just like Kojote's reason for creating a news site. (PDroms)

You'll fail. Your site will not have any visitor. Believe me, I've made a lot of websites, even a DS portal like you.

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Shuny said:
TeenDev said:
shaunj66 said:
GBAtemp is hosted on its own powerful dedicated server at OVH in France. OVH are very good hosts, but are based in France, while they do have English portals and web interfaces, you might want to look into a host that's based in the USA if that's where you're from.

Our hosting isn't cheap (over 100 EUROS / 160 USD) a month, but we have unlimited bandwidth and complete access to the server.

The hosting is paid for by our Recommended Sites on the portal who in exchange get those little banner ads in various places, but they are so small barely anyone even notices them. They fund our hosting, taxes, shipping, other bills and more. Although, this hasn't always been the case and not too long ago everything was paid for out of our own pockets.

(...)

You'll fail. Your site will not have any visitor. Believe me, I've made a lot of websites, even a DS portal like you.
It's because you didn't stick a beta button on your banner =P

kevenka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hankchill said:
kevenka said:
If I remember correctly, didn't GBAtemp join up with gamefaqs and other companies?

rofl that was an April Fools joke
tongue.gif
Get with the times
biggrin.gif

Damn...I never knew...I still thought it was -.-
They made it look so real though, with the alternate address I believe? You sure it was an April fools joke b/c I think I would've recognize the day
huh.gif

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Raestloz said:
So, why is this text (Powered By IP.Board ) here? o.O I'm a noob at this, forgive me....
99% of the forums has something like that.
it's usually so the forum software can be used for less/no money.
it's advertisement for the people who programmed the forum.

D

Deleted User

OP
Shuny said:
TeenDev said:
shaunj66 said:

(...)

I get 2-5 new users a day, so suck it.
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/4M3E1Lz6l9E?si=fSYNJxYTa0czXVow