Homebrew Why are hackers so against piracy?

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Piracy isn't bad in all cases.

For example, I own many games from the -U region, and a -J N3DS. Is it bad or wrong for me to run roms of those same games from the -J region? I would say no, it isn't; I paid for a copy of the game and arbitrary technical restrictions prevent me from using it.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
In many countries (should be global) it is in fact not illegal to modify your own product you bought. It's like the car industry. The consumer has the right to replace parts from another company. The consumer has the right to do whatever he want after buying a product. Of course it is not legal to download copyrighted material. But the modifications of your own product is almost always legal I think. Nintendo doesn't own your 3ds after you have bought it. You own it yourself!

That depends :), you still have to keep the local laws in your head, i bought a car, i can't modify it like i wish, i have to keep my modification within the legal rules made up in my country (and you can't modify alot here).
Last year i did some modification on my (zolder i think it's attic in English) attic. legally i had to go to the townhall and inform there what i want to change and get the firedepartment to check safety issues and notify my insurance to check it out, then when the all agree i can start the changes i want. Did i do it? no cause it was small, just a floor and some new isolation, if i did do it the legal way, i could have waited for months and the rating of the house would go higher, so i need to pay more taxes yearly and more insurance, still it is my house, i payed it. i work for it.

Ok, there are no rules for my 3DS, but i know, modifying consoles is a grey area.

Still the point is, whatever you buy, you can't do with it what you want, even if you think you can.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That depends :), you still have to keep the local laws in your head, i bought a car, i can't modify it like i wish, i have to keep my modification within the legal rules made up in my country (and you can't modify alot here).
Last year i did some modification on my (zolder i think it's attic in English) attic. legally i had to go to the townhall and inform there what i want to change and get the firedepartment to check safety issues and notify my insurance to check it out, then when the all agree i can start the changes i want. Did i do it? no cause it was small, just a floor and some new isolation, if i did do it the legal way, i could have waited for months and the rating of the house would go higher, so i need to pay more taxes yearly and more insurance, still it is my house, i payed it. i work for it.

Ok, there are no rules for my 3DS, but i know, modifying consoles is a grey area.

Still the point is, whatever you buy, you can't do with it what you want, even if you think you can.

Even though I personally don't give a flying shit what I do with my consoles, they can't stop me anyways, the worst they can do is deny customer service. No one's ever been sued over hacking a Nintendo console in their own home. Screw EULAs and TOSes, I do whatever the hell I want with my Wii and Wii U, because Nintendo can't release anything good on the Virtual Console :rofl2:

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The intelligence to hack at that level tends to correlate with an awareness of protecting one's work from being ripped off. Many hack to develop marketable skills or for personal curiosity, not to be robin hoods.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Against their morals, discourages people like Nintendo to not patch exploits.

Their morals... Spare me

I HIGHLY doubt that every game, album and movie they have was legally acquired.

Reactions: Margen67

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
And not a single fuck was given about how or why. Really, no one really cares, what they do is their business.
Yup.. You keep saying that.. They can do what they want that's fine. I just don't like bullshit reasons. I'd rather they say they don't want to than try to give a speech about how wrong it is.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup.. You keep saying that.. They can do what they want that's fine. I just don't like bullshit reasons. I'd rather they say they don't want to than try to give a speech about how wrong it is.

And yet people get all uppity about those who download ROMs for which generate no revenue to companies that likely no longer exist, thanks to copyright laws that need a serious revamping.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
And yet people get all uppity about those who download ROMs for which generate no revenue to companies that likely no longer exist, thanks to copyright laws that need a serious revamping.

Thats the human race for ya.

Krupa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
First of all. Being open-minded about piracy in public while hacking can lead to trouble with Officer Bacon. Just look at Geohot who broke the PS3, allowing piracy. And secondly. I think that a lot of hackers takes their passion seriously enough to avoid ending up hurting companies like Nintendo's business. And thirdly. Some are just dicks and wants to make money where money can be made, no matter what, and that's where flashcards, mod chips etc comes in. No need to release a free CFW when you can make tons of money on hardware.

liukang

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's pretty cool these guys simply want to enhance the features of the console. My main gripes about the 3DS are no SNES VC and region locking, and hacking the system gives these features to me, while still being able to access the shop through emunand and play online.

Reactions: puss2puss

williamcesar2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Morals have nothing to do with it. Insiders know that its all about the $$$. Releasing an full kernel access CFW will kill the flashcard market and cut off a huge revenue stream for "some" hackers that would prefer to remain anonymous.
That's why only controlled homebrew access is released while keeping full CFW underground, this allows certain hackers to sell the full exploits to flashcard companies for $$$.
Since they hold the keys, they can keep flashcard companies on a leash, which is more important than fame.
The only thing better than fame is $$$.

That's the real answer to your question.

Yes ! I had already said this before, They are not against piracy, they are part of the piracy behind GW team, that's why they hate a rom loader

purupuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they're just stupid. There's a lot of silly quixotic fools. I took all the money that I saved from pirating and started a bussiness. I've improved my life immeasurably through piracy

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There may also be the case where they do not want their projects to be associated with something as controversial as piracy, rather than them being against it. Piracy itself is a word that is not meant to be a positive stigma.

Reactions: Zidapi

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wait so flashcard companys have the code/keys for kernel ascess? So it is possible for ninjahax to get CFW rite
Well Gateway does, MTcard too. They couldn't have "emuNAND" without kernel access.

As to whether Ninjhax could be used to gain kernel access and launch a CFW; the answer is KARL3DS. It's still a work in progress but it's coming along in leaps and bounds.

dauphin327

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They're against piracy......publicly.
The underground hackers don't care about piracy. CORE, RELOADED etc.. There's more of those who don't care about piracy than those who do. Like this guy said. If they said it on a public forum they could be tracked down.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: 80s are the new 20s. +1