Why are we not allowed to ask about bans?

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Places allowing such things have been observed to then have it lead to mass discussions, questioning of decisions and general fallout. Similar reasons to it being something of a faux pas in places to discuss your salary with your coworkers.
That's unfortunate. I have wondered this before, now I have my answer. They should start implementing ban reasons, like post deletion reasons.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's unfortunate. I have wondered this before, now I have my answer. They should start implementing ban reasons, like post deletion reasons.
It is rarely one straw which breaks the camel's back, and if it is then it is usually something like intentionally posting warez.
Most bans follow a consistent pattern of behaviour in which one not only fails to live up to the "if you are going to post then make the internet a better place", fail also to be neutral in that and instead go the other way.

drenal

that guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Places allowing such things have been observed to then have it lead to mass discussions, questioning of decisions and general fallout. Similar reasons to it being something of a faux pas in places to discuss your salary with your coworkers.
thank you for saying this, I have wondered about this for a long time and now I know

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

I always thought it was because staff members don't have the time to have a lengthy open-minded discussion each time they choose to ban someone. And the people they are having a discussion with may not be very open-minded.

D

Deleted User

It is rarely one straw which breaks the camel's back, and if it is then it is usually something like intentionally posting warez.
A few days ago a member who I wont name got banned for posting a link to a ROM site. If the thread was not deleted within a certain time frame would Costello potentially face criminal charges? Could Costello press criminal charges against this member? It would be quite exceptional for criminal charges to arise. I just want to know if it is possible, as unlikely as it is.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A few days ago a member who I wont name got banned for posting a link to a ROM site. If the thread was not deleted within a certain time frame would Costello potentially face criminal charges? Could Costello press criminal charges against this member? It would be quite exceptional for criminal charges to arise. I just want to know if it is possible, as unlikely as it is.
Who knows.
The server I think is still in France, Costello is not in France these days.
In this case we now get international law involved, plus wherever the member might have been at the time. Such things are hideously complicated most of the time. I imagine though legal problems would only really arise if after proper notice has been served that things are not removed within a reasonable timeframe.
Most individuals don't press criminal charges, such things are left to nation states/governments, though you can of course report things to the relevant authorities for them to consider. Civil charges would be most individuals are reasonably able to do.
Depending upon where it all goes down then site owners might be able to use some kind of safe harbour provision, though this gets tricky and the recent case involving livejournal https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/04/ninth-circuit-sends-message-platforms-use-moderator-go-trial http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/blog/2017/04/bad-news-livejournal-bad-news-dmca-safe-harbors-post-1-3 might play into things here.

Before all that though you risk getting blacklisted, ad companies don't want to work with you, neither will PR firms, people then don't link to you and if the blacklisting was not bad enough then the "more links, more better" thing most ranking engines use these days take a hit.

A generally good rule in life though is never interact with the police or courts if you can help it. Lawyers are an expensive hobby to fund and such funds are typically better spent on servers, prizes, review items, going to events and such.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, burp +1