Homebrew Why did 3dbrew...

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I'm surprised no one mentioned the GameBoy Light console for stop-gap consoles
i was actually thinking about the gameboy light.....but i wouldn't really class that as a traditional stop gap console.......it was more like a revision/kinda failed experiment that didn't really make it out of japan.....personally i own a gameboy light and they are pretty cool, but i don't think it was ever going to replace any console or convince people to upgrade.....just imo more of a limited release "special edition" kind of thing with a bonus feature

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't Gameboy Light literally just a redesigned Gameboy (with the GB Pocket design) with a backlight? Same as the GBA SP compared to the original GBA. They played the same games as their original models, just with some design or functional tweaks here and there.

I guess it depends on your definition of what a "stop-gap" console is. If a system doesn't really have any exclusive games that run only on that particular model, then to me it's just a revision. Revisions generally don't upgrade the tech specs either, I don't think the GB Light changed the CPU or anything of the sort.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wasn't Gameboy Light literally just a redesigned Gameboy (with the GB Pocket design) with a backlight? Same as the GBA SP compared to the original GBA. They played the same games as their original models, just with some design or functional tweaks here and there.

I guess it depends on your definition of what a "stop-gap" console is. If a system doesn't really have any exclusive games that run only on that particular model, then to me it's just a revision. Revisions generally don't upgrade the tech specs either, I don't think the GB Light changed the CPU or anything of the sort.
I agree, the Game Boy Light was a revision, but not really a stop-gap console - it didn't bring anything new to the software library or the features, it just had a light.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i think the most defining feature of a stop-gap console would be the reliance on games for/from the previous console, if a console cant hold its own in the software department with games that are only designed to run on that specific console even if it is 10x more powerful it would still be a stop gap console in my eyes

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
IIRC the 3DS does 48m/s.
This is coming straight from 3DS findings, or stock Arm11 documents.
What do ARM11 documents have to do with the PICA200's polygon performance? The GPU can push 15.3 million of polygons per second at 200MHz, but the 3DS runs it at 268MHz to match the CPU's frequency (for whatever design reason), which on paper boosts the performance to 20.5 million of polygons per second, matching (surpassing, in fact) the Flipper. On top of that, the PICA supports newer OpenGL features and packs more punch in the embedded effects department. There's no denying that the 3DS' GPU is stronger than the Gamecube's.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i think the most defining feature of a stop-gap console would be the reliance on games for/from the previous console, if a console cant hold its own in the software department with games that are only designed to run on that specific console even if it is 10x more powerful it would still be a stop gap console in my eyes
Almost every Nintendo handheld has backwards compatibility though.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
What? No, not at all. It's a trend in their line of handhelds, but definitely not in the home console department. The first backwards compatible console they've ever made was the Wii.

He said handheld.

EDIT: irrelevant now.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Almost every Nintendo handheld has backwards compatibility though.
yeah but im not saying stopgap = backwards compat, im saying if it "relies" on the backwards compatibility.....say if the wii was released and only 3 wii exclusive games and the rest where just gamecube games.....in that case the wii would of been a stop-gap console....but it didnt it had plenty of games that were not just designed for the GC

SSG Vegeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i was actually thinking about the gameboy light.....but i wouldn't really class that as a traditional stop gap console.......it was more like a revision/kinda failed experiment that didn't really make it out of japan.....personally i own a gameboy light and they are pretty cool, but i don't think it was ever going to replace any console or convince people to upgrade.....just imo more of a limited release "special edition" kind of thing with a bonus feature

You mean similar to the limited edition mario 3DS that was only given out by club nintendo bro :)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Funny, then, how a write up was made documenting and comparing the horsepower capabilities between the 2 CPU's and proving my point.
http://pastebin.com/Ybsn0fyA
That comparison is strictly based on "bits" and assumes that every calculation will require 64-bit precision when in reality this is actually rarely the case. If it were, the jump from 32-bit computing to 64-bit computing would provide a 100% performance boost, which it most certainly did not. You're living a fairytale.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up