Why do people go crazy over the nes and snes classic editions?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Conversely, why do people go crazy over the Raspberry Pi? The Snes Classic is fundamentally the same thing, is it not?
A basic board computer, running a Linux-based operating system, emulators, plastic shell and controllers.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean it's $80 for 21 games. They're never going to add more games to it. You can't use physical snes carts. Why do people want this? You could get a refurbished Wii for less than $80, hack it, put snes9x gx on it, and have access to any snes game you want.

The roms are better than carts for one thing: Store and save space. Don't forgot, they can be hack to adding more roms in it anyway.:)

And I had NES and SNES when I was teenager. So I missed them and glad that I have NES Classic Mini and soon SNES Classic Mini so I am glad to have them in my life again! Hate 2000's minus video games, I mean. Just this world sucks at 2000's.

Last edited by spotanjo3,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Derp derp, use emyulatorrrr & pirate gaems hurr durr.

Not everyone is a filthy pirate.
These things have nostalgic values along with collector values.
I for one like the NES and SNES mini.
Wouldn't care if it wasn't hackable or not, they're great collector pieces and an awesome throwback to the good old days.

[^Blark^]

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are both iconic consoles that were a huge part of my childhood/growing up and still are to this day. Whether or not I can emulate a system won't stop me from owning the original or buying a "mini". Overall nostalgia and unique collectable.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
It's a cute and adorable way to still have a nes/snes under my TV when all of the space is taken up by various TV relates boxes and modern HUGE consoles. Now if someone can sell me an EU snes mini FOR RETAIL PRICE PM me :-)

p.s. Don't buy from scalpers, there should be laws against private citizens reselling goods if you can't prove you've had them for more than a year.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Conversely, why do people go crazy over the Raspberry Pi? The Snes Classic is fundamentally the same thing, is it not?
A basic board computer, running a Linux-based operating system, emulators, plastic shell and controllers.
Because the Pi is a fully open platform which people can custom build to their pleasing. It's cheap and people can do whatever they want with it.

The Snes Mini is a tad more nefarious. It uses similar off-the-shelf components to create a closed platform being sold on brand value alone for a much high price. That people are paying such a high price for a fancy shell is bizarre.

Last edited by sj33,
Reactions: cvskid

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because the Pi is a fully open platform which people can custom build to their pleasing. It's cheap and people can do whatever they want with it.

The Snes Mini is a tad more nefarious. It uses similar off-the-shelf components to create a closed platform being sold on brand value alone for a much high price.

What's even more baffling is that people who support or purchase Snes/NES classics are treated as somehow being inferior. But whatever, as they say in Japanese, かてにしろ *shrug*

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
What's even more baffling is that people who support or purchase Snes/NES classics are treated as somehow being inferior. But whatever, as they say in Japanese, かてにしろ *shrug*
まあね。本当のスーパーファミじゃなくて普通なARMのコンピュターだけなのにそんな信じられない値段を払う人がいるか面白いと思う。でも、好きにしてね。

Anyway, nobody is making it personal. The device is just not good value.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
まあね。本当のスーパーファミじゃなくて普通なARMのコンピュターだけなのにそんな信じられない値段を払う人がいるか面白いと思う。でも、好きにしてね。

Anyway, nobody is making it personal. The device is just not good value.

It is when Mother 2/Earthbound is being sold at 200 dollars, only a fool would spend that much on eBay for that game *shrug* To each their own.

I just can't be arsed buying a Retro Pie 3 motherboard, case, PSU, controller, SD card, when the Snes Mini is so much easier as everything comes in the box. For the games it comes with, it most certainly is worth it, but meh.B-)

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Reactions: cvskid

R0B0T0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Snes Mini is a tad more nefarious. It uses similar off-the-shelf components to create a closed platform being sold on brand value alone for a much high price. That people are paying such a high price for a fancy shell is bizarre.

What? You realize that there are 21 games on this, right? Some of Nintendo’s most classic IP? If you assume each game to cost about $4 (which is mobile microtransaction-level pricing) then you can consider the hardware free, including the 2 very nice first party controllers.

Hey, there are lots of older books and movies and music that I could steal too, are the companies that own these ‘nefarious’ for trying to sell them as well?

Reactions: the_randomizer

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is when Mother 2/Earthbound is being sold at 200 dollars, only a fool would spend that much on eBay for that game *shrug* To each their own.

I just can't be arsed buying a Retro Pie 3 motherboard, case, PSU, controller, SD card, when the Snes Mini is so much easier as everything comes in the box. For the games it comes with, it most certainly is worth it, but meh.B-)
IDK why anyone would spend 200 dollars on earthbound in general when you can get a repro cart of earthbound/mother 2 uncut/uncensored for much cheaper.

CanuckGod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have a Pi3 with RetroPie installed with ROMs for several systems including the SNES and my first console, the ColecoVision. Also just got a SNES Classic Edition. Yes, the Pi can do more (and for cheaper), but having owned the SNES as a teenager, nostalgia won out, and I'm glad I bought it. Each has their place, and that's why I own both.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have a Pi3 with RetroPie installed with ROMs for several systems including the SNES and my first console, the ColecoVision. Also just got a SNES Classic Edition. Yes, the Pi can do more (and for cheaper), but having owned the SNES as a teenager, nostalgia won out, and I'm glad I bought it. Each has their place, and that's why I own both.

Well that, and the ROMs are actually legal on the Snes Classic, if that's something people care about.

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
It's a tiny box that plays SNES games right out of the box. I don't have to worry about battery life (I have a copy of Earthbound, I should solder a battery holder to it, but alas, lazy and unmotivated is a thing), dust, and the "oldness" of the hardware. It's about "easy life"/"taking it easy". Sure, I could do the same thing with a Raspberry Pi and a bread box, but that requires a level of tinkering I don't want to deal with.

Secondly, it's small and runs on usb power. I can connect it to almost any screen and play all the SNES/NES titles I want.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a tiny box that plays SNES games right out of the box. I don't have to worry about battery life (I have a copy of Earthbound, I should solder a battery holder to it, but alas, lazy and unmotivated is a thing), dust, and the "oldness" of the hardware. It's about "easy life"/"taking it easy". Sure, I could do the same thing with a Raspberry Pi and a bread box, but that requires a level of tinkering I don't want to deal with.

Secondly, it's small and runs on usb power. I can connect it to almost any screen and play all the SNES/NES titles I want.
How is it difficult to plug in an SD to a computer, run a program to install retropie, then turn on the raspberry pi and plug in a USB drive to transfer roms? And you seem to be under the assumption the raspberry pi is powered differently, when in fact it is powered exactly like the snes classic via micro USB. The raspberry pi is equally small, if not smaller too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the snes classic, but people need to actually look into how the pi works before assuming it's complicated

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is sad. His 2 movies were good. Informative about our food industry.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    This was one of the craziest movies I've seen about our food industry, lots of stuff I didn't know. A must see. https://youtu.be/OqzjC-ENrl8?si=GYxmdY5nShzGniVi
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Oh, that dude?
    I stopped believing or caring about that dude when I found out about some of the more questionable nonsense he did in his life.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Like what? I didn't know or hear.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You mean like every famous person that ever existed
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get so tired of hearing oh I liked him until...
    I just know dude was a chronic alcoholic and such.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been to his chicken restaurant he started in his 2nd movie, Holy Chicken, was pretty good. It is only 15-20 miles from me in Ohio. It only lasted 1 yr or so then closed tho.
    There are very few people I just have just an immense dislike of and he's one of those very few people, the only other example is Gene Simmons. My musician uncle on my mother's side of the family actually met Gene once during some event and said he was the most unpleasant person to be around.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I met myself once turns out that guy is a giant piece of shit that doesn't deserve any of my respect
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn alcoholics! (Sshhh- Opens another beer)
    Agreed, Ken
    I can't say I've ever tried even a sip of beer tbh-
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You met yourself also and is a giant piece of shit?
    +1
    Then again, I don't think I'd really enjoy it //shrug
    I'm sure it's an acquired taste :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Poor lad can never enjoy the amazing taste of four loko
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Root beer is a gateway drink, don't ever try it either.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, don't you love how smooth MD20 is
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mad dog 20 20? Oh yea fixed the typo. I haven't seen that or had forever. Do they still make it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think it's why I'm alive
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What happens if when playing Paper Mario, you start a fire in-game?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/vja8uoOy5XE?si=d2qo7jYK9TiyaOZ2 +1