Why do you like Final Fantasy games?

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I used to like Final Fantasy games a lot. Those old 'N' era titles and FF9 as well too. They all had this very similar feel to the lot of them for the most part (3 of them had that Job system.) Each of the games all centered greatly around the crystals in some way, and each was for the most part in this magical/medieval type existence with wooden air ships, classic spells, and the battles were either ones you could slowly slug out or find the weakness and just pound into it heavily. All those earlier games in rare areas of interest tended to have some weird mix of technology and the classic era, mostly the classic so it was more of a wow moment (like the Giant of Babil in 4, or the steampunk type area or the lab in 6.)

Sadly that era is dead. Square converted the series heavily into some more heavy emphasis and turning magic into some strap on crap that you can lose or use at a moment depending on your setup, or the more wretched sphere/ff13 paradigm wheel system which is worse. The games got a lot more cinematic, chatty, much of it not all that interesting that you couldn't skip, including very slow building summons and spells in a fight. More of the 'old' feeling faded away for some more technological or phantasy star(ff10 felt like phantasy star to me as did 13) and they really got into screwing around heavily with the classic combat with some very hit and miss results. Worst though of it is how they messed up boss fights, even ruining the classic FF4 on the DS by making most bosses and the occasional random monster have 'SIMON' like patterned battles and if one of your people do the wrong move on the wrong turn 'DEATHBLOW' comes and you're dead or near it enough it's over anyway forcing some canned boring as shit fights you need to follow a script on removing all semblance of challenge or fun.

Glitchernator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turn based RPG's are easily my favourite genre.

Besides the story's are not the same, they follow a similar path. Each major Final fantasy ends in a different way, I still think that Final Fantasy 6 has the greatest end boss out of any game I have played, especially with it's 18 Minute organ boss theme, impressive for the SNES.

There is alot more to it then just a "boring" turn-based battle. It's to improve your character, gain items, money, weapons & armour. Its more strategy than action, you decide which character has what, whether it will improve the character or if it improves the aid of one. You decide if he will focus more on offence or defence.

The more battles you have the stronger you get, it becomes easier to kill a same monster and it becomes easier to beat the game. If you do not train enough, you will end up getting destroyed by bosses!

If I were to recommend a Final Fantasy game, I would choose 6 or 7. The choice is simple, 6 if you want to play one of the greatest 2D JRPG's as chosen by fans, or play 7 if you feel like a beginner to the world of turn-based RPG's, it's a great game and it converted many people into JRPG fans.

Although if I were to recommend you a turn-based RPG which isn't Final Fantasy, I would say Chrono Trigger, Mother 3 or Lufia 2, which are all amazing games with great story.

Sorry if I wasn't in depth, but its really more of the player thinking of the battle than any action.
Although to play a turn-based RPG you have to be devoted and interested into the storyline, if you don't like the game you are playing, you will end up giving up half way.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Storyline, graphics and that they are actually hard if ur going for 100%... im not that into background music since if i get stuck in a place for too long it gets boring.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gay history is serious +1