• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Why does the media value more the gender and race of a person than their skills and qualifications?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 2,746
  • Replies 23
  • Likes 1

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
Obviously I am referring to the ones that do care about diversification, it is implied in the topic after all. I didn't think it required a #NotAllMediaCompanies but there you go.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Have sourced it. :)

FT_19.07.11_GenerationsByRace_1.png

src: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/07/30/most-common-age-among-us-racial-ethnic-groups/

So lets pick 35 as the average working age.

For every (self identified) hispanic person on TV, there have to be 2.5 (self identified) white dudes and gals (presumably including white hispanics?), 0.5 (self identified) black dudes and gals and 0.3 (self identified) asians.

Statistically. ;)

edit: Normalized:

7.5 White (including white hispanics (?))
3 Hispanic
1,5 Black
1 Asian

(Thats the national average, so as you get more to areas where larger media companies are present, probably less self identifying white folks.)

edit 2: Normalized for 25 years ago
(presuming same average death rate between ethnic groups, so not exact):

12 White
2 Hispanic
2 Black
1 Asian

Is that not the representation model in US media? Also what are we doing again?

And I frankly think, that thats the OPs actual issue. Because when I think of 'tha media' I actually don't think of 'value judgements', in terms of race or gender representation - first (You watch media to be rectified in your value judgements? How do you react, when confronted with ads? Do they also inform your value judgements? Also why don't you complain about ads in the same way? They havent changed, or... Ads not important? Why is it always 'tha media' that should be badmouthed in one way or the other?) - but for some reason the OP does, which has me react in a certain way. (Dogwhistle, aint it?)

Last edited by notimp,

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's funny how the democrats/liberals/leftists all cry about "more diversity" and identity politics while demanding that there needs to be more minorities in higher levels of the government or companies. Then when the democrat presidential primaries come around, nobody on that side votes for the minorities (true there are two white women and one white gay guy still in the race) which ends up kicking out all POC's on the ticket. I guess the left is a lot more racist than they lead us all to believe. SMH!!!!

Edit: Sorry, I didn't mean to say it was funny. It's really quite sad.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
morvorans black people vote for trump speech?

Isn't it funny how...

Trigger words in bold font.

Neglecting the point that in the last debate you had 2 billionaires amongst 7 people in the democratic candidates debate.

In short - the system is broken. Trump doesnt care - Trump is on his fantasy dream vacation in india. :)

Trump produces taxcuts for the super rich - and empty words (build wall - 'merica first) for the rest (populism). Trump is white. Trump has had token black friends "in the audience" he pointed to (Dr. Ben Carson ? Omarosa ?).
-

Normal way to come up in US politics to become a presidential candidate? Be a senator first. ( https://www.politifact.com/factchec...ngress-has-disproportionate-share-millionair/ ) If you are a billionaire, you can shorttrack that system.

If you are a Trump (only a millionaire), you can shorttrack the system as well - by (not necessarily appealing to donors, yes - but producing) empty populist phrases and getting free media publicity, because you are an orange oddball and good for the ratings.

Then you can become president - and don't know what to do, and follow the blueprints of the GOP, in all points that matter.

Trump is only really been emotional rhetorics, and nothing else.
-

The 'merica first point is a really crucial one.

Because in terms of international politics, it really was 'merica first. So that was no lie.

It didnt bring any industrial manufacturing to america, the economy is still - Millenials engage in empty spending (no saving, no investing). America left pretty much every notable international organization, had a shale oil boom (small and medium sized companies, granted), and played lets ride out our natural advatages a little longer. Made a few trade deals, lost a few friends. Moved a few battleships. Fat guy on a couch.

Socially nothing changed. Mexico is your new biggest friend and trading partner - I mean you couldnt have f*cked over voters sentiments more. In terms of promises or aspirations.

Economy was actually quite nice going, just not for the working population.
-

So if you put the race, race, race card aside for a little while, and actually acknowledge, that your side prolonged the problem you are raising further as well - while your guy flabbed something about draining a swamp, and played twitter personality...We'd actually have something of a debate going.

But no - trigger words, trigger words, bold. Outgroup is bad, ingroup is good (eyes closed, dont look too closely). Isn't it funny - followed by a constructed, piece of antagonisms, that are actually riling folks up, and not funny at all. (Fight! Fight! Fight! Over what? No black candidate after Obama? No black candidate a year after the freaking tiki torch parade revival voted Trump into the white house?)

Also - Black people now start to vote for Sanders, thats the problem? ( https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...support-dips-reuters-ipsos-poll-idUSKBN20J2J9 )

Also - I've never seen a thread of morvorvan where he didnt accuse the democrats of being far worse than hypocrites, basically the devil. Thats his whole stick. No stringent arguments ever. He's the person where I have to do double takes, if I'm not interacting with a bot account on twitter. And now - racebaiting.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Lets try something different for once. :)

This is for you morvoran:

That women is borderline insane. Dumb as a rock. Dangerous in not getting certain concepts. Ambitious. Driven. Opinionated. Conservative. And also hates the establishment after some of her experiences with the GOP top level. (So some of the things she internalized as personal experience are still interesting to listen to. :) )

Whats your opinion of her?

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4