Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Google just feed me this link :

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2021/...pment-suggests-manjaro-linux-for-now#comments

Basically : with the delay of the decks and obviously not all developers having an early version, valve tried to reach out in another way.
But this 'other way' seems kind of odd to me : use Manjaro Linux? Why? Why not just release steamos 3.0?

I'd get it if this was one of the three large corporations. Their os is part of a walled garden, so secrecy is... Somewhat of a must (or at least understandable). But this is Linux we're talking about. The platform is open, and the very idea is to share it. For valve it makes even more sense because the more it spreads, the more customers they'll have (I game on Linux, and... Depending on the game it takes effort to get things working out of the box).

And unless I'm seriously mistaken, the hardware peripherals are taken care of by the kernel, so it's not like valve suddenly has to support a gazillion types of keyboard, video cards and so on. Heck.. Steamos 2 did that years ago.

What also worries me is t in the comments. Okay, valve outlines which hardware and Manjaro version best mimicks the deck... But doesn't mention the kernel version of which experimental brand to use. I hope that's just sloppy work that gets resolved asap, but to me that seems one of the most important facts to know right now. I mean... It's also the main thing to struggle with when getting games to work right now ('oh, you should try proton version something and then start in safe mode to start the game' is currently pretty common).

So I don't get it : why outline guidelines when the os isn't the same to begin with. If game X don't work, there's easily a dozen combination of things that could be causing it, and the os is a pretty major factor in that (with the kernel not far behind)

MontgomeryScott

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because Valve's goal at the end of the day isn't to cement SteamOS as a dedicated platform for gaming. They want to enrich the overall development of Linux as a viable operating system for gaming overall. This has been their goal for nearly a decade now, going all the way back to Steam Machines.

As you said, Linux is open and meant to be shared. Beyond Steam itself, which is easily installed on any distro, there's not much special about SteamOS. Again, you're spot on that there wouldn't be much valve would have to do. This is exactly why they shouldn't push SteamOS as the development platform of choice. It would be pointless, redundant, and consume resources that could have otherwise been allocated elsewhere.

What also worries me is t in the comments. Okay, valve outlines which hardware and Manjaro version best mimicks the deck... But doesn't mention the kernel version of which experimental brand to use. I hope that's just sloppy work that gets resolved asap, but to me that seems one of the most important facts to know right now. I mean... It's also the main thing to struggle with when getting games to work right now ('oh, you should try proton version something and then start in safe mode to start the game' is currently pretty common).

Proton isn't something developers are messing with outside of Valve. Needing to fiddle with Proton or try safe modes are a consequence of developers doing nothing. If someone is seeking to develop a game that targets the SteamDeck/Linux then Proton becomes entirely irrelevant to both the developer and the consumer.

For the most part, Valve seems focused on contributing to the kernel's development publicly. Again, the end goal isnt to become a software and hardware juggernaut - its to provide enough wiggle room to safely combat Microsoft's monopoly. So whatever kernel related work they've done is publicly available (or will be made so soon), so a developer could easily compile a kernel based on that.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm... I don't know how to answer that, @MontgomeryScott (but thanks for the contribution, of course :)).

I have to agree that the reason might be resources : the reason might simply be that releasing it now opens them up for requests for support, and last I heard most valve employees were busy checking the entire stream library whether it works on a deck.

The delayed delivery probably is seen as quite a positive thing there, as it's a huge task as it is.
Still... It's an excuse to me. Devs working on Linux supported games will want to know whether it works on steamos as well, as this will become quite a popular os flavor.

But ey... I just found this source saying officially that yes, steamos 3 will be released at some point. Not the best of news, but better than silence on this front :

https://9to5linux.com/valve-says-steamos-3-0-will-be-available-for-everyone-to-download-and-install

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Group statistics

Members:
Threads: