Why we pirate

KinGamer7

Trophies
XP
Country
I pirate if:

- The quality of the pirated copy is superior to the sold product (ie. sitcoms in 720p when aired, yet sold on DVD only; emulation on PC over Virtual Console offerings)
- Buying a legitimate product (brand new or used, but in excellent condition) proves to be a huge inconvenience compared to pirating it (ie. emulation > buying retro consoles with the peripherals and games from eBay)

Quality and convenience are my key reasons -- I have a job now, so money is not as significant considering I have an income. This is why Steam is my favourite distribution platform; the prices are amazing, and even when they're not the convenience is unbeatable (for me, personally).

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I pirate because I don't have the money to throw at billionaires, but I'm arrogant enough to state that I deserve a free copy of their work.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do it because it's so simple. Any why pay for something I can download in a minute?

I buy games on systems that are difficult to pirate on.
Like 3DS. I don't have a problem with buying games for that system.

But when there's flashcarts for DS, or CFW for PSP, yeah...

I realize it's wrong. If I was loaded with money I'd totally buy everything, but sadly I cannot.

Reactions: 1 person

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More on topic than my last post (I REALLY need to leave for class now, wtf...)

I pirate anything. But does it seem more moral to pirate things that are no longer in production? As KinGamer7 pointed out about old consoles, those games aren't even made anymore. Personally, I think that rather than let an era like that die if every single console and cartridge for a particular old system stopped working, pirate the hell out of it.

Newer games, financial reasons and ease of getting them. Hell, I have my source for Wii games. Granted, MegaUpload is gone now so they're not as easy to get anymore (haven't checked that site in a while, too...).

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Pirates. If it is fun, i buy it.
As for music... Im buying it i guess. But for those that doesnt sell internationally. Pirateh ftw.

EDIT: Yeah i pirate everything thats old. Im not shelling out tons of bucks just to get some antique that might die on me anytime soon.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I pirate anything. But does it seem more moral to pirate things that are no longer in production? As KinGamer7 pointed out about old consoles, those games aren't even made anymore. Personally, I think that rather than let an era like that die if every single console and cartridge for a particular old system stopped working, pirate the hell out of it.

Newer games, financial reasons and ease of getting them. Hell, I have my source for Wii games. Granted, MegaUpload is gone now so they're not as easy to get anymore (haven't checked that site in a while, too...).

You clearly have been in the wrong part of the internet.

Reactions: 3 people
D

Deleted User

i pirate cuz i aint paying 50 euro's for a game (only the games i like :creep: )

fldc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It's because in most parts of the world, we ain't got no iTunes music store. We don't have Netflix. We don't have Pandora. We don't have Zune.
As a 13 year old, the only way I can legally get access to any movie/song is by finding a method of transportation (really hard) to get to the nearest mall to pay a shit ton of cash because stores here suck, on an album in which I only like a song or two. Please people, there's more to the world than the States and Canada! Look at Europe, Asia, the Middle East! Implement all that new modern stuff in other parts of the world! Take advantage of the technology which, by the way, we do not lack. I wanna purchase songs because I think the artists deserve it, and I don't want my music library to be all messy with no album art or proper titles.

'nuff said

So who agrees?
I don't know where you live but I'm from Sweden (europe) and we got all these things or services just as good or better.

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I pirate for a few reasons :

1. Prices are damn too high (at least for games, 80-90$ for a new game, 60-70$ if you're lucky and get a special discount. And the prices dropped, it was 120$ for a new game before)
2. I like to try before buying, some movies/games are really too bad to risk 80$ (ex. Fable 3, or Tron - Legacy)
3. For TV shows, I like to have them when it's out, not 2 years after, waiting for a translation I don't even want

Reactions: 1 person

Crimson Ghoul

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only pirate music and movies.. and movies not so often. With software I find it easier to buy the software instead of waiting for cracks and patches. But I pirate because I'm not about to waste my paycheck to hear a guy sing something that someone else wrote. I don't care if they ten dollars less. They are already making millions

girugamarc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because I'm a broke college student with a part time job that can't be bothered to spend the little money I make doing work study on $60 games.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You clearly have been in the wrong part of the internet.

Allow me to clarify. More difficult to get from my primary source due to MegaUploads downfall. I know there are other places, but I particularly enjoyed mine, and I stay away from torrents if I have alternatives. No usenet subscription, either.

In fact, let me go check my source, see how theyre doing...

Edit - welp, looks like at least one major thread has switched entirely to MediaFire. Crisis averted?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1