Hacking Wii can’t read SD Card.

IvanHDXD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello, I Homebrewed my Wii. I wanted to dump the game „Epic Mickey“ to run it trough an Emulator on my PC. I know I need an SD card in order to even use the Homebrew App. The Problem is, everytime when I try to put my SD Card in my Wii it says that the Wii couldn’t read the SD Card. I tried using multiple SD cards and even bought a new One. Could this be an Issue with my Wii or are there any other Methods to run the Game on my PC because I do own the Physical Copy of the Game.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sounds like a defective SD reader in the Wii assuming good, FAT32 formatted SDs.

Visual inspection → Any dirt? Bent pins?

An SD is not strictly needed for using homebrew software. The Wii Mini does not even have an SD reader (by default; can be soldered in). A FAT32 formatted USB drive will also do; Homebrew Channel will load apps from there. Cleanrip (or a USB loader) should be able to dump the game disc to the USB drive.

Good luck and have fun!

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This could indicate a few things, either a non-working SD card or that the SD card slot is dirty inside of the Wii.

Make sure that your SD card is formatted to FAT32, 32kb cluster size. Clean out the SD card slot with a tad bit of isopropyl alcohol, some Q-Tips and a tooth pick, ensuring that the pins are free of dust and dirt. If thats not the case then it could be that the slot is damaged, and therefore must be replaced as a last resort.

Like KleinesSinchen said in this instance, an SD card is not necessarily needed for using homebrew. The Wii Mini does not use an SD card slot, however, it is possible to solder one back onto the unused points on the motherboard and reinstalling the System Menu and the appropriate IOSes, but you do have a lot of risk when doing so. Typically, a USB thumb drive/flash drive will do; HBC is compatible with both the SD Gecko/generic GC memory card adapter or a FAT32 formatted SD/USB.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@IvanHDXD
Searching something different, huh?
Sigh.png

Note that RawDump/Friidump method isn't easier. It is slower and requires older PC hardware. Overall using the Wii is the easiest and fastest method. You can even dump games over network.
https://wii.guide/dump-games (requires patience, especially with WiFi, but the PC drives method is not faster)

IvanHDXD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@IvanHDXD
Searching something different, huh?
View attachment 388834

Note that RawDump/Friidump method isn't easier. It is slower and requires older PC hardware. Overall using the Wii is the easiest and fastest method. You can even dump games over network.
(requires patience, especially with WiFi, but the PC drives method is not faster)
Yeah I searched around a bit. Thanks I appreciate it!
Post automatically merged:

Sounds like a defective SD reader in the Wii assuming good, FAT32 formatted SDs.

Visual inspection → Any dirt? Bent pins?

An SD is not strictly needed for using homebrew software. The Wii Mini does not even have an SD reader (by default; can be soldered in). A FAT32 formatted USB drive will also do; Homebrew Channel will load apps from there. Cleanrip (or a USB loader) should be able to dump the game disc to the USB drive.

Good luck and have fun!
Oh I didn’t even know it was possible with an USB, thank you !
Post automatically merged:

This could indicate a few things, either a non-working SD card or that the SD card slot is dirty inside of the Wii.

Make sure that your SD card is formatted to FAT32, 32kb cluster size. Clean out the SD card slot with a tad bit of isopropyl alcohol, some Q-Tips and a tooth pick, ensuring that the pins are free of dust and dirt. If thats not the case then it could be that the slot is damaged, and therefore must be replaced as a last resort.

Like KleinesSinchen said in this instance, an SD card is not necessarily needed for using homebrew. The Wii Mini does not use an SD card slot, however, it is possible to solder one back onto the unused points on the motherboard and reinstalling the System Menu and the appropriate IOSes, but you do have a lot of risk when doing so. Typically, a USB thumb drive/flash drive will do; HBC is compatible with both the SD Gecko/generic GC memory card adapter or a FAT32 formatted SD/USB.
Okay, I will try to clean the SD Card Slot first and if that’s not working im gonna use a USB because it’s probably a bit hard to find someone that still replaces party from the wii. Anyway, thanks for your reply it really helped me out! :D

arturothehedgehog11

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hello, I Homebrewed my Wii. I wanted to dump the game „Epic Mickey“ to run it trough an Emulator on my PC. I know I need an SD card in order to even use the Homebrew App. The Problem is, everytime when I try to put my SD Card in my Wii it says that the Wii couldn’t read the SD Card. I tried using multiple SD cards and even bought a new One. Could this be an Issue with my Wii or are there any other Methods to run the Game on my PC because I do own the Physical Copy of the Game.
This is not a solution to the SD problem but, you can play physical copies on Dolphin, the only requirement is a DVD reader.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    linuxares @ linuxares: yoho yoho