GCN Wii Memory Card?

o2oxygen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello any one owns this kind of memorycard for Wii??? will it work for GameCube? because my memory card for GameCube only has 4MB =(
gamecube-memory-card-32-mb.jpg

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
Wow. That's funny. I have this exact same memory card that I got from amazon. It says for Wii, but it's not like you can store Wii saves on it. It is a generic, low cost, 507-block GC memory card. I use it on my Wii, and so far it works very well. I haven't tried it with my GC, but I plugged it in real quick to see if it would go in and out--and it does without problems. You should seriously get it.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like a GC memory card "For Wii". A generic GC card I bet considering the only thing *I know of* that you can store wii saves on is an SD card.

o2oxygen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
so they just like inserted the word "Wii" just for the wii users buy it? but in generally its a GameCube Memory Card right?
QUOTE said:
I haven't tried it with my GC, but I plugged it in real quick to see if it would go in and out--and it does without problems. You should seriously get it.

did you just inserted it on the Memo Card slot of GC and fits perfectly? but you did not tried turning on the GC and see if it works? thanks for the help though i might buy this one =)

revron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, It will work with your Gamecube. They market them as for the Wii because they are designed to match the Wii. Don't waste your money on that one though. Instead buy one of the 128mb ones. I bought one last month for $6 shipped. It came from China but it only took 7 days. BTW, regardless of what people may tell you about these cards being cheap and frying, they are actually really good. I have several brand name after market cards from gamestop, eb, etc. and they all have black glob dot chips. All of the chinese "Wii" cards I have bought use real chips.

Edit: I'll put up some pics of the internals of a few of my cards to show you what I mean.

revron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here are a few side to side for comparison.

DSCF0120.JPG

Here is a closeup of a Joytech Brand Name after market ( Note That There Is A Glob Dot Chip Where A Real One Was Supposed To Be)

DSCF0125.JPG

Here is a closeup of one of the "Wii" cards from Ebay

DSCF0124.JPG

BTW, These cards have a higher capacity than the 1019 block cards, I can't remember the total number of blocks it had empty though ( Note Pic Below).

DSCF0118.JPG

o2oxygen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@revron

thanks for the very useful and helpful info... does your save files get corrupted or erased for some unknown reason?

revron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Er, you do know the black glob is to hide the markings on the chip to keep it from being identified to slow down the progress of clone products, right?

In fact the lack of one often indicates a clone, since they don't have an original design to hide.

Um, actually you're quite wrong on that one. Have you ever taken one apart? The black stuff is a protective coating of epoxy covering a very thin naked silicone chip thats stuck to the board. If you have one of the early dstt's (the ones with glob dot chips) chip off the epoxy and take a look. If you don't want to ruin a dstt, just google it.

QUOTE(o2oxygen @ Jan 16 2011, 09:19 AM) @revron

thanks for the very useful and helpful info... does your save files get corrupted or erased for some unknown reason?

I haven't had any problems with corrupted save with any of the "Wii" cards yet and I've had some for two years or more.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
revron said:
Rydian said:
Er, you do know the black glob is to hide the markings on the chip to keep it from being identified to slow down the progress of clone products, right?

In fact the lack of one often indicates a clone, since they don't have an original design to hide.

Um, actually you're quite wrong on that one. Have you ever taken one apart? The black stuff is a protective coating of epoxy covering a very thin naked silicone chip thats stuck to the board. If you have one of the early dstt's (the ones with glob dot chips) chip off the epoxy and take a look. If you don't want to ruin a dstt, just google it.
I don't know how flash carts do it, I'm speaking in general. It was an issue with PS3 jailbreak dongle clones, too.

revron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
revron said:
Rydian said:

I don't know how flash carts do it, I'm speaking in general. It was an issue with PS3 jailbreak dongle clones, too.

I suppose that covering a chip would help protect manufacturers from having there products cloned ( at least for the 5-10 minutes it takes to chip off the epoxy). Glob dot chips however, such as those in cheap electronics, are what you are seeing 99.9% of the time you see a black glob of black stuff on a board. For game system portablizers, such as myself, glob dots are a night mare because we cant remove them from the board.

o2oxygen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i bought the 128MB like what Revron owns. and it works perfectly on my GameCube altough at first when i insert it its a little bit tight to insert compared to the original one but once its inserted the GameCube reads it.

128MB = 2034 blocks FTW!!! =) i got 2034 blocks for 9 GameCube Games lol hahaha thanks for all the help i so much appreciated it
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6igvB1yR04A