Gaming Wii Motion Plus: your first impression

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is my impression without even getting it at the moment. I'm disappointed that it's not 1:1 true time. But I can't expect much out of nintendo. I'll still get it for the new wii sports but.. this kind of makes me think of the future game that comes out that depends on the WM+. I hope it won't be that bad.

EvanUnisil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Anakir said:
This is my impression without even getting it at the moment. I'm disappointed that it's not 1:1 true time. But I can't expect much out of nintendo. I'll still get it for the new wii sports but.. this kind of makes me think of the future game that comes out that depends on the WM+. I hope it won't be that bad.

The only game WM+ sucks with is GST. Try VT and TW and it works great.

ReverseFate

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
globaltribune.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
The Disc Golf option in TW PGA Tour 10 truly shows what the WM+ is capable of, and as far as what I've tested, it is indeed true 1:1 real time motion control.

GST is just one of those little games that failed to use the device to its full potential, despite trying, and has nothing to do with the actual capabilities of the WM+ itself.

So all in all, I am very satisfied with my WM+, especially when playing my TW PGA Tour 10.

Social0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Covarr said:
I won't really be in a position to critique it until Red Steel 2 comes out.

and we know how great they can work the wii remote...
wacko.gif

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Social0 said:
Covarr said:
I won't really be in a position to critique it until Red Steel 2 comes out.

and we know how great they can work the wii remote...
wacko.gif
Yeah, go back to Twilight Princess and tell me how good the pointer is working in that game (and I know that it is not a primary function in TP, like it was in RedSteel).
rolleyes.gif
Come on, with how far the pointer-controls have gotten now nobody should worry about the controls in RedSteel2 (for the gun at least; swords look good as well judging from videos...).

You should remember, that RS was a launch-title and they had no references, like many developers have now. MoH:H2 did it first (Metroids turning was not fast enough but it was not that important in a FPA)!

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I approve of it.

I played all three Motion+ games and they all play exactly how I want them to play.

I hated the way Virtua Tennis played without motion+ but with its my favourite of the series. Control wise its much better than Grand Slam Tennis, which is also greatly improved with Motion+ though I enjoyed that game without the device.

Tiger Woods 10 is perfect, I can't imagine the control to be better I really can't.

I can't say I like how you control the reticle though and to be honest I'd rather Red Steel 2 only used Motion+ for sword fights. I'm more than happy to aim as you could in other games.

So far impressed but still pissed off that Nintendo didn't include this control with the original Wiimote and I had to pay £15 for the "update". I'll pirate Wii Sports Resorts because of this.

martin633

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think Sports Resort will tell us a lot about how good the gameplay in Red Steel 2 will be. Sports Resort will be released next month and will also contain sword gameplay. Red steel will come out in Q4 (doh!).

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i only tried VT and i am not impressed. i can't really figure out what movement i am supposed to make i am way more succesfull with motions that obviously have absolutely nothing to do with tennis
frown.gif
. It's not all yet - at least i hope. whatever otherwise we have for the pseye wand or nathal

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hadrian said:
I can't say I like how you control the reticle though and to be honest I'd rather Red Steel 2 only used Motion+ for sword fights. I'm more than happy to aim as you could in other games.Isn`t they keeping the aiming exactly the same way as in all the other FPS?! I heard in an interview, that they use M+, so they could detect where the pointer is, even when it is not pointed at the screen. That was a problem in BoomBlox for example, where your cursor went often missing, when you did the throwing-motion... Other then that I though the pointing function is the traditional one, like in MoH or CoD
unsure.gif

QUOTE(Hadrian @ Jun 13 2009, 10:59 PM) So far impressed but still pissed off that Nintendo didn't include this control with the original Wiimote and I had to pay £15 for the "update". I'll pirate Wii Sports Resorts because of this.
Second that. But after seeing what the content of WSResort is I think even without M+ that game would be worth 50bucks. Getting a peripheral for the same price seems to be really fair
tongue.gif

I still need to try VT09, since I hate how M+ is always calibrated in GST and therefore doesn`t manage to keep track of your exact movement or position if you don`t centre your position... But I want to wait till the pal-verion comes out
tongue.gif

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
loading said:
i only tried VT and i am not impressed. i can't really figure out what movement i am supposed to make i am way more succesfull with motions that obviously have absolutely nothing to do with tennis
frown.gif
. It's not all yet - at least i hope. whatever otherwise we have for the pseye wand or nathal

I'm amazed everytime I see someone say VT is better than GST. I think it controls horribly even with M+. You can flip your wrist and hit the ball. I could seriously play it handcuffed. It's a poor poor presentation of M+ imo. Try GST or TW for a better example.

rustybanana

Trophies
XP
Country
I still stand by VT being the better of the 2. Tiger Woods is the only game atm that gives a good idea of what can be done by M+. We will have to see what Nintendo produce to see it truely shine
smile.gif

EvanUnisil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ossot said:
loading said:
frown.gif

I'm amazed everytime I see someone say VT is better than GST. I think it controls horribly even with M+. You can flip your wrist and hit the ball. I could seriously play it handcuffed. It's a poor poor presentation of M+ imo. Try GST or TW for a better example.

Ha ha ha are you kidding? GST is a joke. Unless you look up online how to calibrate the motion control yourself you'll never be able to play the game with motion+. I've done this and I still can't get it to work correctly. If it's that hard just to play a game, it's not worth playing, sorry mate.

shredman

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sorry but tennis takes years to get any good at in real life...

If you persevere with it - GST easily beats VT

To those with Grand Slam Tennis Control issues....

You do need to calibrate your WM+

Hold it steady for 2 seconds about waist high...
Whenever you hold the racquet (wiimote) steady for 2 seconds it recalibrates - so....

Pick a position in front of your TV/Plasma/Display device (central is good)

NB. This part assumes that you have calibrated your wiimote correctly in the first place through the settings menu...

You make movements from here and to the left and to the right (try not to move too much in either direction)

In between points you must hold the racquet (wiimote) in the ready position in front of you as you had at the start...
This will mean that you dont let the WM+ recalibrate in the wrong position and...

Thats it!

As far as connecting online - the manual (which I'm sure most of you priates don't have!
smile.gif
states that the Wii should be placed
in a DMZ from your router (this will help connections) and a minimum of 1.5MB/s DSL is required to play this without lag....

The manual also states that you can port forward certain ports but I can't remember which ones they are - its easier just
to put the Wii in a DMZ. Consult your router manual for details.

Check out this YT vid (by someone on the EA.com forums - bigfunballs to be exact...)

Keeping this in mind (below) might make it easier for you to understand the motions
(I still use a different grip and it seems to work better for my topspin shots....)

moteb.jpg

Use the bottom picture as reference for your ready/recalibrate central position
(with the wiimote out in front of you and d-pad facing towards the ceiling)

SHREDMAN

EvanUnisil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
shredman said:
I'm sorry but tennis takes years to get any good at in real life...

SHREDMAN

Right but this is a videogame. It's not real tennis. Do you think the average consumer, the 'casual' crowd who these graphics were catered for is going to go online and read about how you're supposed to calibrate your controller? I know people who have returned their Wii Motion+ thinking there was something wrong with it before realizing this game was just badly designed.

It may work after you go through everything you've described there but it is NOT how they advertised this game which was supposed to be 1:1 according to that video in the release thread.

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to turn this into a pissing contest between the two. But people are idiots, that's why they returned them. My first play I thought it was kind of crappy. I saw a post where someone said you had to recalibrate it between points. I went back and decided to hold it still -- game works great.

My serious complaint with VT09 is you can just flip your wrist. It doesnt matter which way. Sit on your couch and just slightly flip your wrist. It'll swing for you. That's not motionplus. That's straight mario tennis. Just flip your wrist when the balls coming. The point of motion plus, as you stated, is 1:1. Unless there's a pro tennis player out there with crazy alien 5 inch arms -- that's not so 1:1 imo.

edit: just watched that video, didnt realize all that center position in the match stuff. GST is buggy.. but it's still much more 1:1 M+ than VT09 is.

EvanUnisil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Right but GST doesn't even tell you you're supposed to calibrate the remote. At least Virtua Tennis takes a two second moment to recalibrate it so that you know everything is working. I shouldn't have to lose points in my game because I didn't keep the remote still for a second when no one in the videogame instructs me to do so, ever.

Even with calibration, GST is still shit. I finally got it to work and it's not enjoyable in the least because you spend the entire time trying so hard to make sure that your remote is going to calibrated for the next point. And even when you do keep it completely still sometimes it still doesn't calibrate correctly. What's the point?

Virtua Tennis does have a point to WM+. I can swing in the direction across court and it will go in that direction. I can swing straight down the line and it'll go down the line. I can swing lightly and it'll do a drop shot. If I do a powerful swing it'll go down the line. If you want to sit on your couch and flick your wrists, go right ahead. But the option is there whether you want to sit on the couch and do it or stand up and do it. It doesn't take away from the quality.

Overall both games have serious flaws and neither is worth any money. VT local multiplayer is unplayable. GST is virtually useless with WM+. But if you want a good one player WM+ tennis game, then to me VT is the way to go. GST is only good for the online but even then I've had some huge issues with it (which I again posted in the other thread) that are just unacceptable.

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm addicted to GST and the M+, it's my new favorite game since PES 2009 Wii, And for the same reason, once you grasp how to control the game, it's truly a revolutionary experience. I've been playing online constantly for the last few days and am now ranked at 80 in the world. I play solely with the only the remote and motion plus and it works great.

I think most people are having problems with the controls because their character isn't mimicking their every move, the animations aren't 1:1 but the controls and shots are. Kind of like Wii Sports, your tennis and bowling Miis never really followed you with their animations, but they'd still bowl how you wanted to hit the ball where you wanted to. You just have to ignore the animations and pretend as if you're the character on the court. I've been able to pull of crazy drop shot volleys right at the net where the ball just taps the ground and sits still. The top spin lob is how you kill the noobs.

Seriously, once you stop thinking that you know how the game controls, and actually learn how to control the game, it becomes one of the best wii gaming experiences to happen since Wii Sports, you'll get that same feeling of "wow, I didn't know a game could be this fun".

VT sucks, sad to say, before I played either of them, I was just assuming that VT would be the better of the two, but EA sure did surprise me this time around.

For those of you who don't like GST, stop thinking that the game should control how you want it to, and learn how to play the game. Just think of your Wii Remote as a giant Pong paddle, whatever angle it is at when you swing, that's how the ball will bounce off of it. You want to ball to go to the upper right half of the court with a back swing, well, make sure the controller is like this

\

when you make contact with the ball. You want it to top spin? then just twist your wrist to the right as you swing.

bytor

Trophies
XP
Country
Only played Grand Slam Tennis so far and am reasonably happy with it but I need another couple of hours to get used to it I think. Started off just winning the odd point here and there and am now starting to break serves and win the odd set or two. Although it is a pain in the arse not being able to plug in my wireless nunchuck, can only play when my nutjob kitten is asleep now lol
laugh.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3