Hacking Wii no longer boots any modded games (only home menu launcher works)

CinnamonDev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've already tried that. ULGX won't load any instance of MKW, whether patched, non-patched, or with Wiimmfi turned on in settings. I'll give it another go but I don't think this cIOS update would've changed how ULGX is ripping discs (unless I'm mistaken).

If this is just a ULGX/flash drive/ios problem, why won't the Wiimmfi patcher app or the CTGP channel, both of which launch from the physical disc, run the game? And why would this issue start so suddenly? I literally hadn't made any changes to anything on my SD card or USB stick in more than four years, it's not like some HBC/automatic system update could've caused everything to go tits up.

EDIT: tried to try it again, ULGX won't read a stick formatted FAT32, gets stuck on "initialising USB device".
I'm not sure what's happening here. Try changing the Loader IOS to 250 too. There's an option in Setting>Hard Drive Settings to remove the Update folder when dumping the game. Try setting (Install Partition) to Remove Update and then try dumping the game. Turn off block IOS reload and set the hooktype to none. After that boot the game.

Last edited by CinnamonDev,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
USB loader gx has a wiimmfi support? OK, I think I might finally be sold on making the switch, lol

Yup. It doesn't apply the competition patches for Mario Kart and doesn't work with WiiWare. You have to extract those and patch them individually. :(

Umpire

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Aruba
I'm not sure what's happening here. Try changing the Loader IOS to 250 too. There's an option in Setting>Hard Drive Settings to remove the Update folder when dumping the game. Try setting (Install Partition) to Remove Update and then try dumping the game. Turn off block IOS reload and set the hooktype to none. After that boot the game.

OK so I tried ripping MKW again with all these settings changed (albeit with an NTFS formatted USB stick) with no luck.

So I thought I'd try something different - I ripped Trackmania onto the same USB stick, and amazingly it booted. So my title is wrong, it's just MKW that has problems.

Interestingly, when I quit Trackmania (pressed home menu button and then clicked "Wii Menu") the Wii froze on a black screen. Then when I rebooted the disc channel said "Wii system update" when it actually had my Trackmania disc in the slot. Obviously I stayed the hell away from that.

The USB stick now has two .wbfs files on it and can be accessed by Windows. Should I try and use a different copy of the game rather than the ripped one perhaps?

UPDATE: tried a different iso (formatted to WBFS) and it didn't boot.

Last edited by Umpire,

CinnamonDev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK so I tried ripping MKW again with all these settings changed (albeit with an NTFS formatted USB stick) with no luck.

So I thought I'd try something different - I ripped Trackmania onto the same USB stick, and amazingly it booted. So my title is wrong, it's just MKW that has problems.

Interestingly, when I quit Trackmania (pressed home menu button and then clicked "Wii Menu") the Wii froze on a black screen. Then when I rebooted the disc channel said "Wii system update" when it actually had my Trackmania disc in the slot. Obviously I stayed the hell away from that.

The USB stick now has two .wbfs files on it and can be accessed by Windows. Should I try and use a different copy of the game rather than the ripped one perhaps?

UPDATE: tried a different iso (formatted to WBFS) and it didn't boot.
Try the NTSC version of the game,If you can. Or use the MKWii disc with the Wiimmfi option.

Umpire

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Aruba
Try the NTSC version of the game,If you can.

Before I go and get it, will the NTSC version run on a PAL Wii?

Or use the MKWii disc with the Wiimmfi option.

I'm confused, can ULGX launch the game from the disc with the Wiimmfi setting enabled? Or are you referring to Bean's patch thingy?

By the way, I had another look at the SysCheck I did before installing cIOS250. What do these readings mean?

1. IOS249[56] (rev 21006 Info: d2x-v6): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
  2. IOS250[57] (rev 21006 Info: d2x-v6): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0

Last edited by Umpire,

CinnamonDev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before I go and get it, will the NTSC version run on a PAL Wii?

I'm confused, can ULGX launch the game from the disc with the Wiimmfi setting enabled? Or are you referring to Bean's patch thingy?

By the way, I had another look at the SysCheck I did before installing cIOS250. What do these readings mean?

1. IOS249[56] (rev 21006 Info: d2x-v6): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
  2. IOS250[57] (rev 21006 Info: d2x-v6): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0

I suppose so, NTSC Wiis can load PAL Games so why not?

IOS249{56} (rev 21006 d2x V6) Trucha Bug NAND Access USB
Slot base Revision cIOS Permissions

Those are old cIOS, You Should Install cIOS249 d2x v10 beta 52 base 56 rev 65535.

And yes, USB Loader GX can load Wiimmfi Setting with MKWii

Umpire

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Aruba
I suppose so, NTSC Wiis can load PAL Games so why not?

IOS249{56} (rev 21006 d2x V6) Trucha Bug NAND Access USB
Slot base Revision cIOS Permissions

Those are old cIOS, You Should Install cIOS249 d2x v10 beta 52 base 56 rev 65535.

And yes, USB Loader GX can load Wiimmfi Setting with MKWii

OK so I reinstalled cIOS249, 250 and 251, then tried to boot MKW from ULGX. It crashed to a black screen (predictably) and then my Wii started buzzing through the TV. Now if I launch on IOS 250 (but not 249 or 251) it crashes back to the HBC rather than black screening. Haven't been able to replicate the buzzing.

Here's a handy video demonstration:

I turned Wiimmfi on in the settings, dunno what difference that's going to make though. Looks like the cIOSs aren't installing correctly - this is a SysCheck taken after the latest attempt to install them all: https://i.imgur.com/cImrhvZ.png how can I force it to install them properly, and what does Trucha Bug actually mean?

Umpire

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Aruba
Update:

I've got it to work by switching from 50hz to 60hz mode. I don't like doing this, as it looks like shit on my TV. Anyone have any better solutions?

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
It works for you doesn't mean it works for everybody.
Greywolf's claim is backed by hundreds of threads asking for help right in this forum and usbloaders do support Wii games in iso format; it just requires an NTFS partition (not commonly supported by other homebrews) and a waste of disk space.

... And if this is true tell me a game that has "issues" and then I'll test it. Every game that I have Doesn't have compatibility issues. And I've tested with a few different USB Drives and they work fine.

Do I need to say more with the bold text above?
and here is the latest report; https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx-blackscreen-on-game-load.519895/#post-8316524, straight and simple.
In the end, didn't you tell the OP to try d2x-v10-beta52 when all else failed?

CinnamonDev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by CinnamonDev,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1